I want to race Philly marathon in November and I have my sights set on a 3:35 finish. When I think about the Ultra goal and my Philly goal, the Philly goal is WAAAY more important. Honestly, the Ultra isn't a huge deal to me. It's something to keep me focused during the summer and gives me something to work towards. Problem is, it's sort of a big deal and it takes time to recover. Last year it took a lot out of me. Not so much physically, but mentally. I struggled to make it through the first mile of my runs and could not get refocused. I eventually snapped out of it but my running was pretty miserable for a few weeks.
I keep going through the pros and cons of each distance, but I can't make up my mind.
50 miles - PROS
- Easier recovery (with the potential to do run some additional marathons as training runs in the fall).
- Fewer pacers to line up.
- Home in my own bed sooner. :-) I love bed!!
- Less painful than 75 miles.
- Been there, done that.
- New distance PR!!
- More bad ass than 50 miles.
- Longer recovery.
- A lot more to figure out logistically with pacers, etc. Sounds silly but this is very stressful for me. I just want to run, I don't feel like dealing with any hassle.
- It will hurt a lot more than 50 miles.
- Same stupid plaque (you get the same plaque that says "50 mile finisher" regardless of how many miles you do over 50).
- Can hopefully still push to race Philly but I most likely won't get in those additional fun run marathons (which I was hoping to get my maniac status by doing).
Why don't you make up my mind for me. Thanks!!
22 comments:
WOW!!! You are inspiring :)
I have come to realize that going with your gut is often a pretty smart way to race (last night I was reading through some of my old blog posts and realizing that the times that I don't listen to myself - IE, the fact that I've said over and over again that I'm not feeling the road racing right now and still keep running marathons - are the times that I feel the least satisfied with my racing performance). So, if you're feeling like Philly is the more important goal, I would vote for going with the 50 miler (which is awesome unto itself) and using it as base training for the marathon.
Just one person's humble opinion :)
And by the way - if you're ever looking for a partner for one of those early morning long runs, let me know!
I'm with Abby, the older I get, and the wiser I get...my gut becomes more and more right. If you're doubting what you want to do then there are some pretty good reasons for it.
50 miles is no joke, and you have your sights set on bigger things (3:35 Philly) that may be comprimised if you attempt that 75. Maybe next year 75 will be more atainable for you and more in line with your other goals. I say go with the 50 and anything over is gravy :)
I think when you come right out and say your goal at Phila. is way more important, well, there's your answer! There are many more years to run the 75 miler. Go get your marathon PR and then plan for the ultra next yr.
Trust me, 50 miles is good enough!!
Not only are you going all out at Philly later this year, but you will be going straight into Boston training! Don't overdo it, girlfriend.
What about going for the same distance and improving your time? (Although I know the Ultra isn't about time goals for you.)
I know how hard of a decision this is for you, and I think Abby's absolutely right. You have to go with your gut instinct, but feel free to give yourself time to figure it out. You have a little bit of time left in ultra training - and I'm sure with all that time out there on your feet you'll be able to think it through more than you'd ever like to.
If Philly and manaicdom is where your heart lies, run the ultra in a way that you'll be satisfied with your performance, but will also help you get to your other goals. If it helps, think of all the fun you'll have at those extra fun marathons and revel in that joy - you'll be able to share those fun times with others more than you'll be sharing your misery at mile 70.
you ran 51.2 last year. if you run 51.3 that would be a PR distance. maybe you could do 55, and have a recovery more like a 50 but still indulge your desire to go farther than before...
You have your answer. Philly is where your heart is this year. Just do the 50 and add the loops as you feel up to it. Knowing that anything over your 51.2 is a new distance!
I agree with Shelly- you answered it yourself. Philly. All the way.
Can you do under 75 but more than 51? Then it is still a PR?
Just look at your pro/con list! So many more pros / fewer cons for the 50 miles. You don't need us to convince you :)
Plus you've been injured lately, and so many other things you want to do fall in line with the 50. You can always try for 75 next year!
Do I even need to leave my opinion here?
50 is still hella impressive. My vote is that. Focus on doing it faster than last year and consider that your goals. :o)
Sounds like everyone is giving you great advice. I agree, listen to your gut :)...you are awesome regardless!
well, if i am understnading what you are saying correctly, its either run 50 miles AND PR at philly. or run 75 miles and no PR at philly. Let's face it, i don't know you that well, but i'm fairly certian that if you do 75, you will still be racing for a PR at philly, right? BUT, if you do 50 will you really stop there? or will you be tempted to keep going because you feel good? (do ppl even feel good at mile 50???) do you HAVE to do 50 OR 75?? can you do 60? what about 62 miles, 100K and then PR too. if it were me, i'd probably do the 50 miler and go for a PR. i'm planning on PRing in early october and then running 50 miles in November. You'll make the right (smart) decision, i know you will! good luck!
Gut, gut gut. 50 miles is plenty, 75 will still be there waiting for you. All out at Philly. Seems very very sensible.
In my short little running career, the more I learn the more I go with my gut. Right now my gut is telling me to lay on the couch and screw running - I've listened to that for about 3 weeks, but I'm kicking it to the curb in a few days.
I think the 3 weeks of nonrunning will help me down the road.
I vote for doing the 50, and then kicking butt in your fall races. :)
how about 55 miles?? Or just over 50? I agree with Abby too, go w/ the gut!
Wow you are AMAZING!!!!
Do your time PR's first and worry about distance PR's later. Once you hit the mega distances you'll struggle more to get good times in the non-ultra events.
Go with your gut...
You are inspiring. I'm struggling with getting past 13 miles and here you are running 50! Awesome stuff. Thanks for the motivation.
i think you know what you want to do and you should follow that. its so hard to not do *everything* and to think we can't do everything. i know i had to make some of those choices this year too, it's not easy, and i don't always want to make them, but you just have to figure out what the #1 goal is and look at the big picture. you will find the right answer and either way you will be freaking awesome!
I dunno about you, Sunny D, but 50 is *plenty* bad-ass to me!
Post a Comment