I take lifting pretty seriously. In fact, when I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror, I notice I'm wearing my "mean running race." Just like running, I get into a zone. I maintain my focus for every single rep and concentrate to ensure I'm using the muscle intended to be worked. I understand the importance of good form and know that if you sacrifice form, you're not only risking injury, but you're not going to see the results.
I belong to the Y and this place gets an interesting group of people coming in to work out. Some of my favorites are the guy who will NOT put down his basketball while he's lifting. No matter what equipment he's on, that stupid basketball is in his hands. Then there's the guy who wears his sport goggles while he lifts. Cause you never know when a flying object is going to head right towards you. There's also the annoying guy who likes to read a chapter of his book in between sets and isn't really open to letting you work in for a set.
On top of the characters, there are some people who really need a tutorial in lifting. Like today, there was a young girl, clearly new to the gym. She walked around the room for a bit eyeing up the equipment before settling on the back extension machine. Based on how she fiddled with a few pieces of equipment and then passed them up, I'm guessing this one seemed like the easiest to use. Well, she proceeded to do OVER 20 sets of back extensions (I counted 20 after she had already done a bunch). And to make it worse, she was using weight that was waaaay too heavy. She had no control returning the weights to the start position and they flew up so fast they literally lifted her off the seat.
As I study for my personal training certification, this really bothers me. I wanted to go tell her that she had done enough and help her with the form, but it wasn't my place. There were trainers in the gym, milling around, and not one of them said anything to her. I was about to get off the treadmill and quietly mention something to the trainer, but thankfully she finally finished.
Andy and I joke that I'm the "form police." But honestly, it's going to be an aspect of my personal training that I take very seriously. I think trainers are here to demonstrate exercises and ensure people are clear on how to use equipment. It can be intimidating to go to a gym, let alone approach a trainer to ask for assistance. Trainers, in my opinion, should be more proactive even if it might be uncomfortable for the person working out. I know when I am a certified trainer; it will be my job to make sure even those people who aren't my clients are safe.
16 comments:
OMG, sorry but the Y attracts the strangest types of people!! i'm really into form as well and once and awhile a guy will come over and say something like, "you aren't locking out your knees, you should always lock out your knees." they'll try to give advice that is SOOO wrong.
i heard there was a push to get personal trainers licensed in MA bc right now there is no regulation, anyone can take an online test and start taking on clients. scary!
i wear my headphones whether i'm listening to music or not so people will leave me alone.
Oh my God pet peeve...In my gym I see trainers working with clients and I am appalled at some of the things I see. They just set the client up with an exercise and stand around chatting or looking bored and completely ignoring their client struggling or doing the exercise wrong...so annoying.
I love that you want to help people with their form even if they aren't going to be your clients. I wish more personal trainers would do that.
How awesome that you are working to be a personal trainer! If I ever leave fashion that is something I would want to do.
This poor girl is going to wreck her back. At our gym they strongly recommend that a trainer sets one up with the machines. This is something included in the membership and helps people use proper settings and techniques.
I like watching people do their workouts also. Some inspire me to do better, some just entertain me, and some... well, I don't know what they do there lifting puny weights a toddler could lift.
I was a certified trainer for about 5 years. What would bother me more than the folks doing things back-asswards were the folks who when you let them know that you are a certified trainer, and you suggested more effective and SAFER ways to perform exercises they would give you a dirty look and continue about doing it the wrong way. You will get those folks…I promise. And most gyms have a policy against hitting those people in the head with a dumbbell.
On the other hand “Bethany + Ryan” and “Keri” touched on an important point. There are so many shit trainers out there and the regulations/certifications are pretty lax. It’s really up to the trainer to build credibility and to gain the trust of the gym goers before you can expect them to take your advice. Good luck with your certification. Your thoughtfulness and dedication will certainly make you the type of trainer that people like and trust.
You're going to be an excellent trainer! I wish we lived closer so I could hire you.
Just reading that made my back hurt. Hopefully she got some ibu this morning and learned her lesson before doing real damage.
You know, I go through this same dilemma with scuba diving. Scuba divers are supposed to be neutrally buoyant, meaning we're not supposed to be moving up and down in the water or scraping the bottom or kicking to stay afloat - we should be perfectly balanced with the water. I see so many people that are obviously too heavily weighted, scraping and kicking the bottom, and I WANT to help them -- but it's not my place. They'd feel so much more comfortable though.
What I've learned from becoming a divemaster, though, is that sometimes now it IS my place. What a relief!! So, hopefully once you get your PT cert, you will feel the same way, like "ahhhh. at last I can do something!" LOL.
I would be the same way!!!
I think you're exactly right. As a trainer working at a gym, there should be some duty to the safety / health of all of the patrons.
That being said, I see people all day long (at the running store) who are beyond help. It's sad but also a bit amusing at the same time :)
omg people are ridiculous. not that i am perfect, but like you its a big deal in lifting. although when chris tells me i am doing something wrong i get all irritated and make him go away :) haha
Funny you say that, I was having the same thoughts in my head yesterday as some high school boys were totally doing lunges incorrectly and TOO FAST! And it must be all Y's with the same trainers that don't pay attention :0
The trainers at my gym are usually the ones showing people bad form. They are awful and I always want to tell people not to go to them!
We have a dude who wears goggles too. Cracks me up!
I'm pretty busy not looking at people so tehy won't look at me in return, so I have no idea if they have good or bad form lifting...Running is a WHOLE different story, I'm always noticing people's form
I think it is great that you actually want to help someone get the most out of their workout. You'll be a great trainer because you'll know what you are talking about AND you'll care!
Post a Comment