I went into this run with one goal and one goal only....to have fun. And that's exactly what I did!! We were up bright and early around 3:45am and hit the road around 4:30. We got to the start in plenty of time and it was actually really relaxing waiting around for the race to start. So different than having those pre race jitters!! Things were very organized at the start and they were well stocked with port o' potties. In fact, they were the cleanest port o' pots I've ever seen. Literally a few minutes before the gun went off, I had to make an emergency bathroom trip and that sort of set the tone for how my stomach would feel for the remainder of the day. Par for the course with me...
The course is two loops, each loop having an out and back portion to it. Since it starts in Wilmington I expected a lot of city street running but thankfully this was not the case at all. We were in shade for the majority of the run, running along a river, park, zoo and a beautiful residential neighborhood. There was little to none spectator support but since I was running with Snowflake I didn't really care. Thankfully there were plenty of volunteers because without them, I would have ended up in another state. The course was so winding and there were a ton of turns. It was especially confusing when we dropped the half marathoners off at the finish because you couldn't pick the volunteers out from the crowds at the finish area.
I felt a little sluggish the first half of the race and questioned if I was going to be able to finish. My last long run was 18 miles which was over 3 weeks ago and I doubted if I had 26 miles in me. My achilles bothered me a little but my sciatica was really acting up. I had a lot of shooting pain that made me wince and at around mile 8 I thought I might just stop at the half. But the half came and went and when I knew I was half way done, I decided I was going to stick it out. Good thing I did because the back half of the race was great!
A little past the half way mark I had to make an emergency stop at the port o' pot and pretty much cut in front of a huge line of half marathoners who were done running and waiting to use the bathroom. Sorry, but I think a marathoner still running gets to do that. I sort of asked permission but the guy in line next didn't really have a choice. Unfortunately, that pit stop didn't really help my stomach and I suffered on and off through the rest of the race with bouts of feeling like I was going to crap myself.
I really found my groove the back half of the race. I was definitely tired and my legs were super heavy, but I was really enjoying myself. Around mile 20 my legs got a second wind and the rest of the race I felt incredible. Even though I was having so much fun running easy, I did think several times that I wished I was pushing myself and racing hard. I just can't suppress these racing feelings!!
I can honestly say, I've never smiled so much during a race. For once I wasn't wearing my "mean running" face as Andy calls it. I had so much fun out there and really enjoyed every second of it. With walking the water stops and taking a pit stop, we finished with a 4:11:50. About 20 minutes faster than we set out to do. It was my slowest marathon to date, but I'm completely fine with that. I set a goal and completely surpassed it.
Here are Snowflake and I around mile 17.5. When Andy saw this picture he said, "you need to run more races like this, look how happy you are!"
Post race I'm feeling great. I had some pretty bad twinges in my achilles but they have subsided. I had my last PT session this morning and am ready to kick Ultra training into high gear starting tomorrow!
And because I haven't posted my schedules in a while, here's my schedule for this week:
Mon - off (walk)
Tues - 7 mi / lift
Wed - 10 mi
Thurs - 7 mi
Fri - 20 mi
Sat - 18 mi
Sun - off / lift

26 comments:
I was talking to my friend Marc, who also ran this yesterday and I cannot believe how different the course is! I might have to try it again next year. No joke, I think there were 5 porta pottys last year and the course was crazy. Totally not what you, or he, described.
Glad you had a such a fun and relaxed race!
You are awesome! I think that time would end up being my fastest, and won't happen for years! Way to go! And wow - 20 minutes faster than your goal. That is incredible!
Congrats!
Great job! It is nice to hear people say they enjoyed the race!
Nice job girly! I have SO BEEN THERE with the tummy thing! It is the worst! But it sounds like you really pulled it together! Have a great week!
Congrats, great job!
And I think you're right, cutting in the port a pot line was fine :)
Congrats on another marathon, and love the smiling picture!! So happy that you felt good enough to run it :)
Congratulations on the finish, and the positive experience. That's a 'slower' time that a lot of people would be very happy with, including myself. Well done!!
I love this post!! Reminds me that running for fun and not pace can be tough but fun at the same time. And I agree you should be able to cut, you are still running they have all day to pee..
It's always lovely to do these "relaxed" races. Well done, you did great!
Woo hoo! Congrats to you and Snowflake. You really do look like you're having fun.
NICE job!!! running races for fun is so different, but its so fun! especially when you have a friend :) great job and very solid training run!
Congrats on a fun and fast race:)
Nice back to back 20/18 you have coming up. I'm gonna have to google the race you're doing in July...
Congrats! Great job out there!
Woo hoo!! Nice job on your marathon:) I would of been elated with your time...way to go and congrats!
Sounds like you definitely met your goal! I haven't done a marathon with that in mind (other than my very first one, which was in Anchorage, AK and absolutely amazing), but I've done a handful of adventure races with the idea of just enjoying ourselves, and I've loved each and every one of them. A great reminder that not every event has to be a race :)
sounds great! nice job! Hope you are feeling well today and this week
Very awesome!!!
Glad you had fun out there :D
There's something to be said for running a marathon "for fun". We LOVED doing that at Disney and I hope to do it again sometime.
Sorry to hear about the potty issues but at least it didn't ruin your whole race.
CONGRATS on another 26.2!
Great job:)
Nice job AND sounds like you had a great time!!
Way to hold the throttle back and have a fun race.
I agree races are supposed to be fun, so Andy is right!
glad you are feeling strong and what a great pacer!
Great job!! Way to stick it out~ so cool that the second half of the race turned out better for you.
You ROCK like always!! :)
That's what it's all about having fun. Even "competive" running is fun as you know albeit a different type of fun
ste
Congrats on a fun fun race - sounds like exactly what the doctor ordered!
Post a Comment