Anyway, even though I didn't have the race I wanted, I'm trying to take away from it what I can. Gotta turn it into a learning experience, dust myself off, and get ready for the next one. Here's where I'm at:
THE DISTANCE. It's freaking hard. No matter what pace you run, flat or hilly, it's 26.2 miles of hard work, determination and mental toughness. I let my mind win the battle this weekend. I'm disappointed about that, but now know I have to be so much more prepared going into a race...which brings me to my next point.
RACE PLAN. Whether I'm racing or not, I need to have a game plan of how I want the day to go. I didn't have this for Shamrock and was teetering on the border of racing and having a no pressure race. Looking back, I don't think the two go well together. At least not for me. I have NJ marathon coming up, where I'll be pacing the 4:15 group, and while I'm not "racing" I still need to be prepared mentally. Even though I'll be running slower, I'll still be covering the distance and I need to stay strong throughout the entire race.
LET IT GO. I've always told myself that I need to keep this fun. Every race to date has been fun, even when pushing myself hard, and I've enjoyed being out there. Well, the last 6 miles of Shamrock was anything but fun. I wish I could have just let go the drive to finish in a certain time and just had fun with it. I wish I would have stopped for that beer around mile 23, I wish I would have taken the few extra steps to high five the little boy on the sideline, I wish I could have smiled at the girl dressed like a clown handing out candy rather than wanting to strangle her...you get the point. Next time it's not my day, I'm going to accept it, back off and enjoy what's left.
So, I'm taking all this and applying it from here on out. I'm sure I'll learn a ton more along the way, and I look forward to doing just that. But before I go, here are some pictures from race day. This first one is during a little break down of mine. I actually said to the photographer, "are you kidding me? perfect timing." I can't believe it turned out half decent. Oh, and I hope I don't blind you with my pasty legs.
Andy's reaction to this one..."That's my girl! Way to scowl!!" He always tells me I'm a mean runner.


22 comments:
Sorry it wasn't your perfect race...I have been there! I think you are an amazing athlete, Denise! Congrats on finishing another marathon and in under 4 hours!
GREAT lessons!!! i think being able to step back and take them from every race is a huge thing - great job on that.
one thing re: 4:15 pacer - when i ran a marathon more for "fun" and did it in 4:19, i found a very different kind of tired, because i wasn't used to being on my feet for those extra 20+ minutes. you are an ultra marathoner tho so you will have that as an advantage on your side but just wanted to throw that out there as something to think about before it comes :)
Great way to recollect yourself and make it a lesson learned! Attagirl!!! :)
Girl your legs aren't even half as white as mine are and I've seen plenty of sunshine in the last couple of months! I get that mean runner face too. Sometimes I chew gum so I will remember to smile more! LOL!
Bring on NJ!
it's always good to have learned something from a crappy experience. it doesn't take away from the suck-factor of not running the way you wanted to but you now have a better idea of what you can do next time. great lessons learned here and you will be so much stronger for it :)
Your pictures are fantastic!! I love the mean runner one.
Sounds like you're taking away from it exactly what you need to. Now, put it behind you and get ready to run strong in NJ!
Nice job, sorry it wasn't the time you wanted, but still a nice time! I can bet you that my legs are way pastier than yours!
You did a great job putting things in perspective! Like always.... I think you are so awesome!!!! :)
I love how you looked for positives in the race instead of just being upset about it. I love your lesson of letting it go. One thing I learned from Lance Armstrong is this quote: "Never forget your beginner's spirit". I LOVE that and it is so true!
I think "relax and enjoy" is the best way to handle the not so great runs. I'm sure the next one will go according to plan again.
Hi, new reader here! Just spent some time catching up with your recent events. Shamrock seemed like an excellent (but hard) learning experience.
Sounds like you'll be raring to go in NJ!Looking forward to reading about it:)
Not insensitive at all! We're all different and while a 3:51 might represent a dream goal for some, it can represent a bad day for someone else. And that's okay!
You seem to have a good post-race perspectvie and you've come out of this with some lessons learned, so that equals SUCCESS!
Great pics, especially the scowl. :)
It's always good to see what other people learn from their races. It's refreshing to see a runner as good as yourself still learning something new. You're a huge inspiration to me. And you look great in your photos btw :)
Love the pics! And I loved how you turned that race around from something you were disappointed in, to something that was lesson filled. That is the sign of a strong runner.
All great lessons. You'll get the next one for sure!
Those are awesome lessons!!! I will have to remember them when I do my first marathon :)
ohhh my eyes, sorry the whiteness was just glaring...silly girl.
those were some great lessons and really..even in a race where things are going well taking time to laugh at the little outfits or things around you are probably what will keep the race going well!
Not insensitive at all. You had your notion of how the race was going to go and it didn't turn out that way is all. Your disappointment was in the circumstances and not a reflection on others' abilities or race times. All things considered, you will never regret having done the race. You learned from it, you FINISHED, you got through the hard parts and you're a better runner (and person) for having done it, no matter. :)
the pics turned out great! And it is always good to reflect and get mentally prepped for the next one.
i think i had the same exact race on march 21st in LA. wanted to kill anyone to get the last 6 miles over faster.
Sounds like you learned some good lessons, which makes the race very worth it. It is always good to be able to take something away from your experiences!
Congrats on another marathon!!
I think you are an amazing athlete, Denise! Congrats on finishing another marathon and in under 4 hours!
home based data entry
Post a Comment