Ugh, what a weekend. Should have been a fun filled weekend with an old friend who I haven't seen in over a year, but that's not how it turned out. Saturday it rained ALL day and when I say rain, I mean it poured!! On top of it, we had winds like you wouldn't believe. The lights flickered a few times and at one point we lost power but it came back on after a few minutes. Well, my friend no sooner got to our house when the power went out again...this time for much, much longer. No power means no sump pump and within minutes we had water coming in the basement. Talk about a helpless feeling! At one point I was just standing in the middle of the basement watching the water creep in saying over and over, "oh my god, oh my god." We hustled around and got what we could to higher ground and I did what all daddy's girls do and I called my Dad!! He got up to the house as soon as he could with a generator and a can of gas and once again saved the day. We spent the night watching the basement and set our phone alarms for every 15 minutes through the night so we could start the generator. Needless to say, we didn't get much sleep. Power came back early this afternoon and we spent the day cleaning up the damage. We didn't lose anything valuable but had to get rid of a remnant piece of carpet we had down in our workout space. Not the weekend I was looking forward to, but it was interesting. We obviously weren't alone in the flooding...surveying the neighborhood, we're not the only ones with mounds of trash at the curb.
Now it's time to turn my focus to racing!! I'll be racing Shamrock marathon next weekend and in fact, by this time next Sunday, it will all be said and done. I've made up my mind that I'm going to head out with the 3:40 group and see how it goes. I don't feel as conditioned to run an 8:20 pace as I did for Philly marathon, but I've been feeling really healthy on my runs lately so I'm going to give it a shot. I really like this no pressure attitude I got going! In fact, I'm so calm I'm not even thinking about the stupid things that stressed me out in the past (Should I carry water or use water stops? What if it's too hard? What should I wear? What if I poop myself? What if I can't do it?, etc). I'm just looking forward to getting out there and racing! Should be a great weekend!
Here's my schedule for the week:
Mon - 3 mi (plus cardio, lift upper body)
Tues - 4 mi, with 2 mi at race pace (plus cardio)
Wed - off (lift total body)
Thurs - 4 mi (plus cardio)
Fri - 3 mi (lift upper body)
Sat - off
Sun - 26.2
24 comments:
Oh no, sorry to hear about the basement flooding! Glad to hear there was no serious damage, though.
Enjoy your taper week! Hope you get a pleasant surprise next weekend!
omg that is awful about the weather and the basement flooding. glad that everything is looking better and nothing was destroyed.
and t-1 week!! soo exciting :)
The rain and wind have really been something this weekend! Glad you survived the flooding basement...
Good luck next weekend!
oh man what a weekend! we got caught in a down pour at the beach, but that was a lot more fun than your rain.
Thank goodness for dads!
Thanks for stopping by Denise!
Wow! We were lucky to not loose power, but half of our neighborhood did.
I'm scared to see what this summer is going to be like. Bad bad news.
Ugh that is no fun! I'm glad nothing got ruined beyond the carpet. I hope it stays dry up there from here on out... between the snow and now this, ya'll deserve a sunny reprieve.
Enjoy taper and rest up for what I'm sure will be a fab race on Sunday! Can't wait to see how you do!!!
Basement flooding is never a good thing...glad you didn't lose anything valuable.
You're going to do great next week! Can't wait to read all about it :)
That's too bad about the flooding! As a true "daddy's girl" I have been saved many times myself and it always makes me grateful to be within driving distance of my dad.
I think that's a great attitude to have- no pressure. It's amazing how well people do when they take the pressure off of themselves and just let it happen.
Good luck next weekend-I'm sure you'll do great :-)!
I love your relaxed approach to the marathon. I enjoy my running much more with this type of approach.
Ugh, sorry about ur basement flooding and lack of sleep!
Good luck next week, isn't the relaxed, no-stress attitude towards running just the best?!? That's great! Keep that going! I have 2 friend running that marathon, Mark and Jay Krugar from Biggest Loser season 5, maybe u'll see them. Have a great week!
Good luck Saturday!
So sorry to hear about the basement! Yuck!
Totally got shut out of Shamrock, but HAVE FUN!!!
Basement flooding :( Our whole region down here was pretty much under water too. One of the few times I'm glad we don't have a basement.
That's awful! We had a ton of rain here and we saw some places on Sunday that were being pumped as well.
Hope everything calms down so you can enjoy taper week.
Good luck at the race!
Good luck with your race! I have a few friends going down to do the half.
Best of luck on your marathon!
Miserable weather makes everything less fun. good luck next weekend!
You are going to do great next weekend - you will probably surprise yourself, too! I had no expectations this weekend and pulled off a great run - the no pressure thing is awesome!
Have a great week girly! :)
Hey- I'll be there this weekend! Not racing :( but I'll be spectating, somewhere near the finish. I'll keep an eye out for you. And if you see me walking around at any point, don't be shy- come say hello :) My friends and I are staying at the race hotel. If I don't see you, good luck!
Oy, what a weekend. We took water in the basement, too - nothing like what you guys had, but it was the first time since we fixed some piping a couple years ago that we had any moisture - really frustrating.
Sorry about the weekend, especially the basement! Ykes! I love your attitude for the Shamrock. You'll do great!!!
yea for next weekend, my sister is running the half! I wish I were running too! My cousin's wedding was sat - it was AWFUL that weather!
Aw man that stinks! Sorry to hear that! I went up to Peace Valley for a run and saw the massive flooding up there. I was running (trudging) through mud and water the whole way.
I am glad you guys did not lose anything valuable. I would have been cranky with the lack of sleep and no electricity.
Good luck this weekend!
Post a Comment