Monday, March 1, 2010

Have I Been Training?

If you haven't already, don't forget to enter the Chobani GIVEAWAY.

I got my schedule for the week from Coach Dana and the first thing it said was "taper time!!!" With Shamrock marathon on the 21st that makes sense but there's one little issue...I don't feel like it's time to taper. In fact, I don't feel like I've even been training for anything. Now, maybe things have just been going really well but I'm suddenly wondering if going for a 3:40 is a little overzealous. I trained so hard for this finish time when training for Philly and I'm not feeling like I put that effort in this time around. Was it because going for the BQ at Philly was stressful and that made the training seem more intense?? I dunno...but I'm second guessing myself. That's not necessarily the way I want to go into a race. But I will say, it's nice knowing I already have Boston in the bag so I can give Shamrock what I got and see how it goes. I'm sort of curious to see what kind of finish time I can get when I don't have the added pressure of qualifying.

And speaking of finishes...um, if there was an award for worst finish line photo, it would definitely go to me. Here are some pictures from the Frostbite 5 miler I ran a few weekends ago. I can't believe I'm even posting these but they are so horrendous I couldn't resist. I forgot to mention in my race report that I had a major wardrobe malfunction. I didn't wear my normal "tight-in-case-of-poop-emergency-underwear" and my pants were a little too big. So between the two, I spent a good part of the race hiking up my drawers. By the time I hit the final stretch, I obviously didn't give a crap hence the nice shot of my gut.

Here I am in shock when I see the clock time:


Here I am looking like I just got my ass kicked by a 5 miler


Here's my schedule for the week:
Mon - 4 mi (plus cardio)
Tues - 6 mi, 2X climb the ladder
Wed - lift total body
Thurs - 4 mi (plus cardio)
Fri - 6 mi
Sat - 15 mi
Sun - lift total body

20 comments:

Keri said...

I def don't think 3:40 is overzealous...you can do it no problem!

Aron said...

i think its a good sign :) plus isnt taper about second guessing yourself anyways?? i cant wait to see what you can do without all the pressure! i kinda wish i would have picked a normal/faster (vs hilly/hard) marathon next so i could just have fun really racing like you are going to! it will be awesome :)

Anonymous said...

i totally think 3:40 is doable! i think it's just the taper talking ;)

love the pictures too. i think it's a rule or something to never have great race pics. i know i look like i'm dying when i get my picture taken while running

N.D. said...

you did great! so did you get a new coach? I don't like it when I feel like it's not time for taper - I think it is the winter training thing. Felt that way last year for sure!

Abby said...

I think the lack of pressure will make for a totally different experience. It'll be great.

Anonymous said...

3:40 in the bag! Tight emergency poop underwear? New running gear that I am not aware of?

Johann said...

I'm also starting a taper phase and not very keen to do so. My marathon is on the 20th.

Nothing wrong with the pics!

Michelle said...

Ugh! Sorry about the shirt! I am in need of new pants again and have to tuck my shirts into my pants to keep my belly from showing.

You can so do the 3:40!

Rachel said...

I'm happy you posted the finishing pictures. It's nice to know there are great runner's that don't always look perfect as they finish thier race. Also the tight undies is really funny--I should look at buying a pair. Where did you get them?

Michelle said...

Nice!! I can't do the Amazing Race with someone that looks that bad!!

Heather said...

I agree with Aron - part of taper always involves a little second guessing.

I hate when my pants fall down while running - or when my shirt creeps up. So annoying!

Jen Feeny said...

Having just lived through Taper I can honestly say yes, you are supposed to question yourself and your training, I'd be worried if you didn't!

You're going to do great girly!

P.S. Those pics are not that bad and what gut are you speaking of?

RunToTheFinish said...

ok that's awesome you don't feel like it's time for taper! your body is feeling great.

soooo wish i could run it with you, I just need to find a couch if I were to do it!

Megan said...

Don't know how you run in undies much less tight ones.

Does anyone ever go in to a race feeling confident? I don't know.

Katie A. said...

I am so with you on this! I have been getting my runs in, but I don't necessarily feel like I am training - just running. I really want to BQ at Boston, but right now I think that is out of the question! It is so much easier to relax when you don't have the Boston monkey on your back!
Love the pics girly!
P.S. How is your sis doing?

Felice Devine said...

That's great that you feel that way! You're so ready!

Hannah said...

Fingers crossed for you! No pressure. You can do it!

Wardrobe malfunction? I was expecting a nip slip! ;)

Toni said...

It's great you don't have the pressure, your are going to have a great race!

Laura said...

I'm in taper this week as my race is Sunday...I ran a whoppping 6km this past Sunday while the rest of my group did 30km. It was very weird and me no likey.

Sherri said...

You have a great blog and you are an amazing runner...you can totally do 3:40! I am so excited to see how it all goes!