Sunday, March 7, 2010

Size Doesn't Matter

No offense to all my male readers but if my husband is any example, men say the dumbest things. Andy is known for putting his foot in his mouth from time to time. For the most part, it's funny and I've learned to take everything he says with a grain of salt. However, last night was one of his finer moments. We were out for a drink before dinner and I was telling him about what I bought shopping earlier in the day for our upcoming trip to Jamaica. Knowing my weight is a sensitive subject and the fact that I can NOT drop a single pound; I mentioned that I was happy that I was still able to buy a size small. The point I was getting at was that even though the number on the scale has gone up, I was happy to see that for the most part, my actual size hasn't changed much. Well, I barely got out "I was so happy I could still fit into a size small" when the following conversation took place:

Andy: Well, yea, they make sizes bigger so women feel good about themselves.
Denise: Um, did you just really say that?
Andy: Say what?
Denise: That I'm a porker and the only reason I can fit into a size small is because they are making it bigger on purpose?
Andy: You're not a porker.
Denise: You're an asshole.

We went on with our night and at dinner I politely declined the roll when Andy offered it and said, "No thanks. Apparently I already have enough of them."

Don't get me wrong, I'm cracking up thinking about his stupid comment and know that he is indeed right. Clothing stores have been doing this for years and obviously it works. I did feel better about myself for being able to buy a size small and Andy, in his analytical/scientific mindset felt obliged to point out the facts. I'm sort of glad he did though because it got me thinking that size really shouldn't matter. A size small at one store could be a size large at another. And who the heck cares what size dress I'm wearing? I'm the only one that knows what size it is anyway. People don't admire someone's outfit and say, "I wonder what size that is." They admire it for how it fits and how it looks. Bottom line is that it's just another number that we get hung up on. When I think about the numbers I worry about each day it's ridiculous...the number of calories I ate, the number on the scale, the number of miles I ran...these stupid numbers define me and it's something I need to change. So while Andy's intention wasn't to make me see that I was being silly, that's exactly what he's idiotic comment did. I need to stop worrying so much about the numbers.

And for all the women out there who want to strangle Andy, he's actually a really good guy. He's really good to me and puts up with my craziness, which is no small feat. I milked the comment for all it was worth (like any smart woman would) and in addition to making him feel bad, I will now be getting a present from Tiffany's. I just hope they make a ring big enough for my sausage fingers.

Here's my schedule for the week:
Mon - 3 mi (plus cardio)
Tues - 5 mi with 2 mi at race pace, 8:23 (plus cardio)
Wed - off (lift total body)
Thurs - 3 mi (plus cardio)
Fri - 10 mi
Sat - 4 mi (plus cardio)
Sun - off (cardio, lift total body)

I've posted a lot of new reviews...including one of my all time favorites, the Snacktaxi. Go check them out here.

30 comments:

Jeanette said...

I worry about numbers too. How many Pringles are left in the can? How many minutes of alone TV time I will get? What my score on Bejeweled Blitz is?

I feel your pain. Numbers can consume us!

Anonymous said...

Well I'm a big woman....so no matter how much bigger they are making clothes to make us feel better...I will never be a small. But I do want to thank Lane Bryant for jumping on this wagon! They have some weird pants sizing now...so my jeans might say size 4, which is really code for apple shaped with bigger than normal hips. LOVE IT! ;)

Anonymous said...

When I read about how you worry about numbers, I feel the same way everyday. I'm obsessed with the number on the scale, the number of calories, etc... I think it has something to do with me once weighing 230lbs and losing 75lbs. I still have that worry that I'll gain it all back - hence the obsession.

Megan said...

Hahaha! Thats so funny. While the big man would say that exactly, but the idea is the same. He wants to fix it. Whatever the issue. If I said I haven't lost weight but my pants are loose, instead of doing the wise thing and just smiling. He'd say maybe they stretched which would make me want to strangle him. Aahh husbands...

Oh and of course, I'm numbers obsessed. How could I not be. I'm an engr and a runner.

RunningFromCancer said...

Sad to say - many of us worry about size, weight, calories. Some of that is OK - but really it doesn't matter whether I am a size 6 or size 8.

Being healthy and being able to do what we want to do is much more important.

David Yingling said...

My only thoughts on your weight are that you are gaining muscle and since you probably have low body fat, your muscle is making up the majority of your weight. And with lifting more it will only go up! As long as you are healthy and feel good then it shouldn't matter what size you are... size small or extra large.

saundra said...

I spend way too much timer worrying about my mileage and my weight, although my spouse is very sweet about my how I look. I consider myself to be a rational person, but my preoccupation with my stats is 100% OCD

Jen said...

Sounds like my hubby... when someone asked him:"Are you happy that Jen has lost 50 pounts?"

He said, "Not really, there's less of her to love."

Now, he meant well.... but the way it came out was BAAAAAAAAAAAAD

Marathonman101108 said...

Being a male, I do agree that "size doesn't matter!" We as a country are too hung up on "Thin is in." Today's models need to eat a cheeseburger or two. Ladies, I believe that most men aren't as hung up on how much you weigh or what size clothing you wear. The good guys like you for who you are, not what size you wear. P.S. OMG! I won the yogurt giveaway?! SWEEEEET!!

Marlene said...

Ahhhh men. *rolls eyes*

The thing with the sizing issue is that not everyone is doing it... so a medium will fit me in one store and I'm an XL in another brand. Ugh!

Anonymous said...

bahah to your conversation. totally something i would say (your lines though not his!)

and i HATE how sizing varies from store to store because of this clothing phenomena. i just want to be the same size everywhere to make shopping (which i hate as well) to go smoother

Bethany + Ryan said...

Oh Andy! Lol. Well I actually have some good news in this department. Since my freshman year of high school I have gained 30 pounds and I still wear the same size! In fact, I still have clothes from high school that I wear. So I guess there is a big possibility that its muscle weight, or else your clothes wouldn't fit you! Have fun in jamaica!!! SO fun!!!

Anne said...

Excellent point...size is relative!! ...AND, you always look great in your pics :)

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Unfortunately for us guys, pants are still sized in inches. :(

Anonymous said...

I agree with both of you! What he said is true and he put his foot in his mouth for saying it :)

In one store my jeans are a 0, in another a 2 and at one store they are a 4. So basically, no clue what my size is, but of course my 0's are my fav :)

Unknown said...

go easy in us guys...we are very slow sometimes!

Abby said...

Poor guy :)

Brent's super logical and analytical, too, so I could see him saying something similar.

Michelle said...

It's all relative Denise. I bought a new Reebok sports bra yesterday...size L (I'm not afraid to say it). When you look at the label a size L in the USA is a XXXL in Japan!!
Oh...stop knocking on the meat eater...Andy is a GREAT guy!

Angela said...

I worry about numbers also. Last night my husband and I were cooking dinner together (it was really a bad meal, hamburgers and french fries, but I had just run my first half marathon the day before and felt I deserved it) and I said, "I will start my diet again tomorrow." and he said, "How much weight do you really want to lose?" I could have punched him. But your right, it doesn't matter what size we are really wearing, it's really about how it makes you feel when you are wearing it.

Beth said...

Men can be so obtuse, they have no idea how women think about numbers. It is silly how they size things. I often wear a small in clothing but I don’t feel that I am small! I am 5’7” and fairly proportional, sometimes I wonder how actual small women (like 5’2”, 105 lbs) can find clothing that fits without going to the children’s section! Your workout schedule looks intense, don’t worry about the scale, I am sure it’s all muscle!

Toni said...

I am obsessed with the numbers as well. While I know that the size of clothes varies from each brand it does feel great to fit into a small!

Jill said...

Leave it to the male population to make us insecure with our #'s. Hahah. Ok, it's not all their faults but it's nice to blame it on someone :). You're going to Jamaica, so very cool!!!!

Anonymous said...

Great...my husband has learned to just not say anything. He just knows better. It's a shame we are so obsessed with the weight because guys could really care less.

Katie A. said...

You crack me up! Although, I probably would have said the same thing!
It is so funny you're posting this, too! I don't weigh myself, I go by clothes size. Usually when I go to the Dr's I just turn around- I don't want to know and I could get obsessive like in the past.
But last week I went to the Dr for a crappy cold I have and they weighed me. I was up 7 pounds from the year before! WTF? It didn't make any sense because all my clothes fit the same, I still wear a small and all that jazz. Just goes to show us that the saying muscle weights more than fat must be true. And if it's any consolation, I can't loose a single pound to save my life either!
Have a good week!

N.D. said...

THat is tooo funny.

Bootchez said...

I have a pair of size 8 pants that I don't even really like. They're still around (and worn regularly) simply because they fit . . . and they're only an 8.

::hangs head in shame::

joyRuN said...

Woohoo! Score on the Tiffany present :D

My hub does the same thing all the time, & you're right - they just don't think about the stuff they say.

RunToTheFinish said...

ohhh my it's so true that sizes make us feel good or bad and I don't really understand why. Honestly sometimes the medium or whatever fits better and hence looks better, so who cares what's on the tag..well I do because i'm trying to get smaller darn it

X-Country2 said...

Boys are dumb some days. You go enjoy that roll next time. You earned it.

Felice Devine said...

That is something my hubby would say. In fact, he probably has.