Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Protein Needs

A while back I posted about eating clean. I'm still eating clean (with the exception of my weekend cheat) but I've modified things a bit. The eating clean plan calls for pairing a lean protein with each mini meal and this was definitely new to my diet. To see where I was at with this new way of eating, I calculated my totals and was shocked to see I was getting a ridiculous amount of protein. So, I revisited the chapter in my personal training text book to see what I should be getting and did some reading on line. Turns out I was getting waaaay more than I needed.

I think most of us know that protein is important because it builds and repairs body tissues, including muscles, but did you know that excess protein is stored as fat? And in addition to this, if you get too much protein, it puts unwanted stress on your kidneys and can cause leaching of calcium from your bones. It's also really important that you consume adequate amounts of carbohydrates with your daily protein because if you don’t consume enough carbohydrates, protein will be stripped from the muscle and used as an energy source instead of being used for muscle repair. I need to take my own advice with this one because I fear the carbs and they are the first thing I scale back on when trying to lose weight. I know, as a runner, this is terrible.

While there are a ton of different sources out there, most state that an active adult should get around 0.8-1.0g of protein per kg of body weight (note: to convert your weight from lbs to kg, divide your weight by 2.2) while athletes should get around 1.2-1.8g. If you'd rather calculate based off total calories, this is equal to around 12-20% of total caloric intake. For example, 150lb athlete would need 81.6-122.4g protein per day:

150/2.2 = 68 kg
68 * 1.2 = 81.6
68 * 1.8 = 122.4
81.6 - 122.4 g protein

I think too many of us are protein happy adding protein powder to shakes, munching on protein bars, etc. Well, without doing any of that, and without even really trying, I'm getting just the right amount of protein by eating a balanced diet. So it can be done and here's an example of my day yesterday:

Breakfast:
1C Skim milk – 8g
½C Oatmeal – 6g
1T Wheat germ – 2g
1T Agave – 0g
Snack:
Peaches – 0g
8 almonds – 2g
Lunch:
Spinach – 3g
3oz chicken – 18g
1T Guacamole – 1g
Slice Ezekiel – 4g
Apple – 0g
Snack:
Carrots – 1g
Banana – 1g
Dinner:
4oz Chicken – 24g
½C Quinoa – 5g
12 Brussel sprouts – 6g
Snack:
100 calorie pack popcorn – 5g
½C fat free plain yogurt – 7g
1T flax seed – 2g
Drizzle agave – 0g
TOTAL: 95

While this number is on the lower end of my range, I also didn't strength train yesterday and just did cardio. However, today I spent 70 minutes lifting so I added some protein to my breakfast to aid in the muscle repair immediately after my workout.

There are a ton of sources of healthy protein out there. You're not limited to finding protein in only meat/poultry and you definitely don't need to load up on powders and supplements. Try beans, low fat dairy and even grains. Grains are an excellent source of protein and they're delicious, too!!

Hope someone finds this useful, I know I never paid much attention to protein but I'm glad I learned about it.

17 comments:

Lauren @ Eater Not a Runner said...

I think in general people are way too concerned about getting enough protein. As your day of eats shows, it's easier than you think!

Paige (The Last Doughnut) said...

I'm like you when it comes to carbs. They are the first thing that I want to scale back on if I feel I need to lose a pound or two. I loved your post today...super informative!!! :)

C.G. the Foodie said...

This is really interesting and informative. Thanks!

Jeanette said...

This must be why I can't lose weight! I knew it couldn't be the Keebler Elves' evil little plan!!!

Abby said...

Spinach and popcorn have that much protein? Who knew!

Marlene said...

I definitely find this useful! We hear so many mixed messages about protein but this seems like a good summary.

You made it even easier for me by using my weight in the calculations! lol

Michelle said...

Thank you for this - Dad Wonder uses an whole foods energy drink for the protein. He thinks he doesn't get enough protein, so this will be good to try and determine how much he is getting.

Amber from Girl with the Red Hair said...

Very interesting! I never realized how many of my staple eats - spinach, oatmeal etc. have a decent serving of protein in them. I eat a serving of PB once or twice a day so I think that's where the majority of my protein intake comes from!

RunToTheFinish said...

I think for me it's been about trying to balance my eating rather than loading on protein. My percentage of carbs was way higher than protein, so i may be getting more protein now but it's to try and even out my eating

Burt said...

Great post. I have always been one of those protein powder people.

BTW love your tat.

Bethany + Ryan said...

I agree! People are crazed when it comes to protein. Ppl think that eating ptrotein makes them lose weight and gain muscle. If ur not working out then there is no need to extra protein!! Kind of like the ppl who don't exercise at all and are a little heavy but say its muscle. Lol if u don't work out, you aren't gaining muscles. U can "grow" muscles. Its called good old fashioned hard work!! :-)

N.D. said...

wow that's good to know about it. For me, I never seem to get enough without the meat and fish. I never would have thought it would create excess fat though! thanks for posting!

Anne said...

Thank you so much...this is very informative :)

Anonymous said...

Until I saw a nutritionist I had no idea where to find protien or how to use it properly for my body. I really didn't know anything except that I loved food!

Great info :)

Julia said...

I actually am struggling to get enough protein... I don't like milk or eat protein bars... sometimes I think I only get like...40 grams? uh oh... I don't like a lot of "protein sources," plus they're kinda expensive... But I am going to make it a point to eat more protein, seeing how much I work out. Thanks for the interesting post!

Unknown said...

Denise,
Great blog! I would like to invite you and your followers to our adult running camp this July in Vermont! I was also wondering if you would be willing to write a post about it. Please check out our website www.werun2win.com and send me an e-mail when you get a moment- bonnetteproductions@gmail.com. Thanks! -Emily

prashant said...

They are the first thing that I want to scale back on if I feel I need to lose a pound or two. I loved your post today...super informative!!! :
home based data entry