Friday, April 2, 2010

Working Hard

I've been working out a ton lately and it's finally catching up to me. I've been putting in some doubles and just this week I worked out 3 times in under 24 hours. Not just running, but I'm incorporating a lot of cross training and lifting again into my routine. I'm so much happier since I rejoined the gym and am able to do more than just run. My body clearly hit a plateau with a straight year of only running and I needed to change things up. I've noticed a lot of changes with the cross training/lifting and a lot of my little aches and pains have gone away. My hip and sciatica bothered me for the longest time but these pains have slowly gone away. I really think it is due to using other muscles and strengthening those not used when running. I kick myself for missing out on a year at the gym. So, back to the point...I've been feeling a little lot worn out lately. Well this morning when I hopped on the elliptical for a 5 minute warm up before lifting, I noticed the display said my heart rate was 126. Whoa! I had pretty much just rolled out of bed so I wouldn't expect my heart rate to be much higher than normal. My resting heart rate is 48 and I struggle to get my heart rate up when doing cardio as it is. If I hit 120 during a hard effort I'm happy. Apparently, my metabolism sucks but my heart is very efficient!! I wasn't sure how accurate the machine was so I jumped off to take my HR myself and it was indeed high. Now, this didn't stop me from lifting and then running, but I did find it interesting since I've been feeling so beat up lately. Not sure if you know, but you can monitor if you're body is recovered by your resting heart rate. If you take your heart rate first thing when you wake up and it's elevated, this is a sign of over training, sickness, not recovered, etc. I guess it's a good thing I'll be relaxing here in a week:


Looking forward to some runs in the warm weather we're having this weekend. Going to be close to 80! It will get my body used to running in Jamaica. The place we're staying at has a huge open air gym and a track!! I plan to work out each morning so when I drink copious amounts of champagne I don't have to feel guilty about it!!

17 comments:

Burt said...

I feel more relaxed just looking at the picture. Im sure that will help.

Marathonman101108 said...

"Jamaica" me jealous about going to Jamaica. Have a restful vacation, and enjoy your runs there. Sounds like some R+R is just what you need.

Heather said...

Looks like a fun vacation - very relaxing!

RunningLaur said...

Sounds like the perfect time for a wonderful Jamaican vacation!

Stacey said...

Ahhh, Jamaica! Have a fabulous trip!

Katie A. said...

I totally monitor my heart rate just like you. The one thing I need to incorporate though is wearing the heart rate monitor when I run - I just hate how it feels. But I often take it right before, after and sometimes during a run to test where I am at. It's good knowledge to have!
So jealous of your vacay - enjoy it girly, you've worked hard :)

Abby said...

Sounds like you could use a break - have a great trip!

C.G. the Foodie said...

Love the pictures. Safe and fabulous travels!

akjenniekt said...

Wow, Jamaica- I am sooo jealous! It will be great chance for you to relax :-)

Bethany + Ryan said...

Its gonna be SO nice running on that beach!! Good for you! You deserve a break! Enjoy!!

David Yingling said...

I have never heard of measuring your resting heart rate to tell how your training is going so that is new to me. Thanks!

Sherri said...

OH MY GOODNESS! That will fix everything! Have Fun and RELAX!!!!

Anne said...

Have a great trip! Listen to your body...and do rest up.

Marlene said...

Sounds like your getaway to Jamaica is going to be PERFECT! Open air gym and track?? That's awesome!

Great job on all the workouts, girl!

Unknown said...

AWESOME, I'm so jealous! Have a great time on vacation!

Lauren @ mostly i run said...

I would be highly jealous if I didn't have a Jamaica trip scheduled in a few weeks :)

By the way, your photos look very familiar. I wonder if we went to the same place?

prashant said...

Have a restful vacation, and enjoy your runs there. Sounds like some R+R is just what you need.
home based data entry