Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Achilles

On Sunday I went for a short, easy run with Andy. When I got home and went upstairs, I noticed a weird feeling on the back of my heel. It wasn't pain, but it was definitely there and just felt weird...maybe a little tight? Well, on Monday I ran 7 hard miles. I really kicked my butt with the speed work and gave myself a good workout. When I first hopped on the treadmill, the tightness was there and it might have progressed to discomfort, but I was able to run without it bothering me once I warmed up. Throughout the day on Monday it got progressively worse and by the time I left work, there was pain with each step I took. Pretty intense pain, too. When I woke up yesterday, there was no denying that the discomfort that had been there previously had turned into real pain. I tend to avoid the doctor at all cost and will run through pain but this was actually bad enough that I knew I needed to do something. So, I took off from running and called a podiatrist I know through my running club. But I didn't call just any podiatrist. Oh no...I called Ira Meyers who just happens to be the WINNER of the 1986 Philadelphia marathon. Holy heck, can you imagine?? Just incredible. Totally inspiring being around him and talking about running. And although my insurance didn't cover this visit, I absolutely wanted to see an athlete and talk to someone who understood how important it was for me to get this under control.

Anyway, I saw Ira this morning and it turns out I have a slight tear in my Achilles. There's no running until Friday and I'm on a pain killer/anti inflammatory and I have to fit in 2 physical therapy sessions before Sunday. Yes, before Sunday. Remember that little pacing gig I have at NJ this weekend? Well, I'm determined to be at that starting line. Whether or not I can do it comes down to my run on Friday. I offered to take off until Sunday if I had to but Ira actually said I need to run on Friday to test it out. Thre are 3 scenarios:

1) No pain, run goes well (that's good!)
2) Pain in beginning but goes away during course of run (that's ok)
3) Pain in beginning which doesn't go away and gets worse (that's not good)

So I'm hoping and praying for a #1 on Friday but will take a #2 over a #3. This is the first time I'm dealing with an injury that's actually keeping me from running. I know it's only a few days but I feel messed up by it already. I'm nervous and anxious and just hope I feel like a million bucks come Friday.

25 comments:

Aron said...

i was dealing with achellies pain a little during training for CIM and then leading up to it, it was not fun!!! i iced the sucker out of that thing and did a lot of stretching (although i think mine was more tendonitis and yours is a tear so its different). i hope it heals itself up so you can run on sunday!!

Evolving Through Running said...

Really sorry to read about your injury, but glad you got it looked at quickly and have a plan for tracking your recovery.

Paige (The Last Doughnut) said...

Achilles injuries are the worst!!! I am wishing you a speedy recovery!

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I will be praying for you and hoping it goes well!!! Ice and rest, ice and rest!!!!

Bethany + Ryan said...

oh no! first off, smart move by going to see an athlete doctor! he will definitely get you back out there asap. my stomach turned when i read about the pacing gig this sunday, man, talk about unfortunate timing! i am really hoping for a speedy recovery for you and i am sending positive thoughts and vibes to your achillies!! keep us posted!!

ShutUpandRun said...

I'm glad you got it checked out and hopefully you did so soon enough to have avoided it being too serious. Hopefully Friday's run will not give you any pain and you will be set for the weekend. Sucks to not be able to run, I know!!

Marlene said...

Oh no! I'm so glad you got it checked out quickly (by a pro athlete no less!) and have an action plan. Fingers crossed that all goes well on Friday. I kow pacing is important to you, but don't jeapardize your entire season over it. GOOD LUCK!!!

Jeanette said...

I hope it's number 1 too. Good luck! Don't push it, Little Miss Ultra!

Ewa said...

I feel for you. I've been trying to get my Achilles back into running form and it is a slow process. Hope you heal fast. Please make sure you don't run when on pain medication. You may not notice if the tear gets worse.

Jen Feeny said...

I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you! I am dealing with the Lankle issues and finally decided enough was enough, MRI on Friday.

Abby said...

Oy! Here's to a strong run on Friday and a speedy and easy recovery...

Gurl Runn'R said...

That sucks that your Achellies hurts! I hope it heals this week. I would love to read how you hurt it, and keep us posted on how it heals.

Anonymous said...

YIKES! I don't like the announcement of an injury !! Sending good thoughts your way !!! :) Follow the Doctors orders. Oh ~ and how cool that you got to see the winner of Philly !! WOW !!

Megan said...

I'm sorry to hear abour your heal. I tend to run thru pain too. But since I'm not in training now I went to the Dr yesterday.

Stacey said...

Oh no! I hope it heals quickly. Glad you were able to get into the doc. today, cool that you got to talk about running with a great athlete. (and probably worth every penny you had to spend on the visit). Good luck, hoping for #1!

RunningFromCancer said...

Hoping it heals quickly. Make sure to listen to your body.

I am currently on 2+ weeks from my last run. I have a stress fracture in my 2nd metatarsal on my right foot. Ortho dr suggested 4-6 weeks off of running. YIKES - I missed a race last weekend - but I did participate in the 2 mile walk.

My foot is feeling much better the last couple of days.

runner5260 said...

Oh no!!! Hopefully you won't be out for too long! Running injuries are awful... I haven't had Achilles problems yet (knock on wood) but I've had millions of stress fractures, and waiting them out is horrrrrrible. Good luck!!

X-Country2 said...

Oh no! Fingers crossed for #1!

Michelle said...

Hope it heals quickly so that you are able to run on Sunday!

Johann said...

Good thing you caught this before it got really bad. I know that messed up feeling. Good luck and I hope all works out fine for the weekend. Take it easy!

Katie A. said...

So, since I have been gone for so damn long, I didn't notice you changed the name of your blog! I like it!
Ugh! Really, you have an injury! I am sooo sorry! But I will be sending lots of good thoughts your way for tomorrow's run! You better update us on how it goes and the status of Sunday ;)

Norma said...

It's Friday...and how are you feeling? Damn that River Styx! Hey, if you get a chance to click over, check out www.13relay.com ...this weekend 11 crazy teammates and I will be running 198.8 miles from Boston to Provincetown in 24 hours... :)

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Totally behind on blogs, but bummed to read this!! Hopefully your test run goes well.... I got a weird pain on the inside of my ankle and am likely DNS'ing my race Sunday too :( Hope you'll be able to run!! :)

Felice Devine said...

NUTS!!! So sorry, Denise. My fingers are crossed for #1.

RunToTheFinish said...

crud! I've never had issues with my achilles, but so glad you went to the doc quickly. hopefully you are golden for this weekend