Jill at Finishing Is Winning posted a great topic today for her "Brain Exchange" Monday...
Topic: BOSTON!
Do you get excited about the Boston Marathon? Um, YES!!! I was actually a little depressed yesterday that I wasn't in Boston myself. Having qualified for 2010 and not being there was rough. And this was even after a great trip to Jamaica. When I woke up this morning the first thing I did was log on to see how my friends were doing on race day. It bummed me out a little to see the pics they posted on the bus to the start line...I so wish I was there right now.
Have you ever ran or do you hope to one day run in the race? No, I haven't run it yet but I'll be running in 2011. The nice thing about a late fall marathon is that it gets you entry for 2 years. Thank goodness too considering Boston sold out for 2010 the week before I qualified at Philly. I'm also planning to race Philly again this fall and try to qualify for 2012.
Will you watch today and if so will it be watching in person, on TV, on the computer? I've been trying to watch all morning but you have to pay for the live feed. What the heck is up with that?? Like the fees associated with this marathon aren't enough, can you at least plop it up on the internet for free?
Do you have anyone special running this year? I have a lot of friends running and know a lot of bloggers who are out there, too. It's been fun tracking them and they are all kicking butt right now!! At the half Jack and Dave are on their way to BQ again (1:40:12, 1:44:34). And while Lakshmi and Dana aren't at the half yet, they are running strong!! And then there's Kate, who's been sick as a dog, and is on pace for a 3:52 finish right now! I have goose bumps thinking about these guys...keep it up!
Any great Boston stories to tell? I'll answer this question next year!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I really felt like crud all weekend. Not sure what was going on but I definitely wasn't refreshed after a relaxing week long vacation. I could barely keep my eyes open on Saturday and ended up taking a 2.5 hour nap. Even after that, all I wanted to do was go back to bed. Sunday wasn't much better and waking up early was almost impossible. But still, I pulled myself out of bed at 6am and headed out for a solo 18 mile run. I wasn't sure I had it in me, and started worrying about how prepared I was to even pace NJ marathon in 2 weeks, but I just took it easy and things went ok. I'm not sure what my pace was because I had to stop and start the Garmin for multiple bathroom trips (my stomach was not happy with me yesterday). Each time I went into the bathroom, I lost my satellite so I had to turn off my watch and restart it. While I was shooting for a 9:43 pace to practice pacing for NJ, I think I finished closer to a 10 min mile. I was comfortable and enjoying the run and was happy I was even out there based on how I felt the past few days so I didn't push it. Towards the end of the run, I really picked it up a bit and ended feeling pretty strong. The best part was that I could have kept going.
NORMA -- can you send me the link to your blog? I lost the email with the invite and haven't been able to respond to your comments because they aren't linked to your email address.
15 comments:
I was able to watch with a feed right on the marathon page. Really stupid that universal charged!!! I have been tracking so many people- everyone is doing amazing. I cannot wait to be there LIVE next year to watch!
You'll do great next year! Awesome job on your run, sometimes the long solo runs are SO much better than what you'll think they'll be when you're dreading them beforehand.
This day is like Christmas for runners. I've been getting NOTHING done at work.
So hope that maybe, just maybe, I'll join you in Boston in 2011. Great answers, btw. Glad you pulledl through on the 18 miler, and sorry you've been not feeling the greatest. Hang in there.
18 miles solo?! You rock! I finished my first ever 18-miler on Saturday, but had lots of people around. I have a hard time imagining doing it alone, so you've got my respect! Way to go!
I've been thinking of your sister.
i was sad this weekend too but now we can say we are running in the next boston marathon!!!! SO EXCITED :) omg imagine how excited we will be as it gets closer :)
I am sad that I could not be in Boston just to watch the awesomeness. I am thinking about going up next year to volunteer, or just to cheer on all the incredible runners.
xx Sara
I tried watching Boston too and decided NOT to pay.
Question: if you BQ do you have to run the following year or can you use your qualification the next year too? At least that's what I have heard but never really checked if it was true.
Maybe one of those years I will run Boston too. Maybe.
I am hoping to BQ either at Kona (June 27th) or Hartford (Oct 9). I was excited for the marathon but with the 6 hour time difference, I didn't get up to watch the start and when I did wake up, I had to get ready for my stroller strides class.
Nice post. I'm in South Africa and watched the TV live broadcast. It was great. Also good to see South African Ernst van Dyk winning the wheelchair race a ninth time! At least you'll be there next year.
Hope you're beginning to recalibrate and settle back into a routine. Looking forward to hearing about how pacing goes next weekend!
Hey Denise...I'll send you the link again; thanks for following up!
I was there, it was so great!
How exciting is it that you'll be creating your own Boston memories next year?!
Sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling 100%. I'm glad you didn't push it too hard on the 18. Take it easy and hopefully you'll be feeling good for pacing.
Hard not to get caught up in the Boston excitement!
Geez - I don't think I'd be able to run 10:00 for 18 miles if I weren't feeling 100%.
Post a Comment