Monday, April 5, 2010

Ultra Schedule

Running and scheduling had me so stressed out last week that I actually disliked running. Not for long, but there were a few times that I just thought about giving it up and was wondering if I could transfer my entry for the Ultra. After a good nights sleep, I snapped out of that but I was still not feeling right about things. For the first time I wasn't even looking forward to my long run on Saturday. That has never happened! I thought it might help if I got organized and put something on paper, so I spent some time putting together a schedule for the Ultra. It definitely helped and once I had something in front of me, I felt much more relaxed. I ended up having a great 13 miler on Saturday and instead of taking off on Sunday, I headed out with Andy for an easy 3 miles...which turned into a little over 6 miles with a few miles at a 8:00 pace. I felt great and wanted to keep going, but unfortunately, I had to get home to get ready for Easter. I was so happy to have 2 great runs after a crummy week of hating the sport.

Anyway, I'm going to fly by the seat of my pants over the next few weeks, but come May 17th, I have a game plan. Leading up to that, though, I have 2 marathons to get through. First up NJ on May 2nd then two weeks later, Delaware on May 16th. I was going to use DE marathon as a long training run for the Ultra but now I'm having second thoughts. After what happened at Shamrock, I just don't want to pass up an opportunity to redeem myself. I still don't feel I'm as prepared as I was for Philly, but I'm going to work on that over the next few weeks. I'm going to start dialing in that 8:20 pace and getting used to it again. I don't have much time to prepare, but based on my Frostbite 5 miler results and how I felt the first 16 miles or so of Shamrock, I'm hoping there's some fitness left in this body to pull off a 3:40.

So, here it is...my draft Ultra schedule. Pink just denotes my Fridays off from work. Right now I peak at 77 miles but I will be adding more miles to that week to make it to 80!  I also plan to split up one of the 10 milers each week into a double and do 5 miles before work and 5 miles after. My goal is to run 75 miles, but the schedule only shows 50 because I've been going back and forth as to how far I want to go. I'll have to fill you in later on that...

26 comments:

Iron Mike said...

That 15+35 miler weekend looks great!

Ginny M said...

Glad you had good runs over the weekend. I hate when I'm hating running!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Nice weekend of running!

Great schedule. Lots of miles! You will be ready for that ultra. Oh gee, and 2 marathons before then. You are amazing!

ShutUpandRun said...

Wow that schedule is intense. I have had fleeting thoughts of doing an ultra someday, but I'm just not sure now that I see this draft. You can do it, I know. Good luck. And thanks for being honest about disliking running for a moment. I have had those thoughts recently too. When training gets tough and really time consuming it takes some of the fun out of it.

Sara Elizabeth said...

Thanks for coming out and helping out Team Challenge! You and the rest of the mentors definitely inspire me to work harder!
Good luck with the training!

xxSara

Toni said...

Glad to hear you had great weekend runs!

Marlene said...

Your schedule includes weekly mileage in MILES higher than my peak in kilometres! :)

I'm glad you were able to throw your schedule together and get your head wrapped around it. Scheduling the runs can get overwhelming.

And marathons 2 weeks apart?? Awesome!

Hopefully now you can go to Jamaica with the peace of mind that your schedule is set.

Bethany + Ryan said...

sounds like fun!(seriously) You're gonna rock it!

Anonymous said...

I did Delaware last year; it is an odd race...lots of terrain and kind of an odd course in general. And no expo! Did you do it last year?

N.D. said...

wow - with a schedule like that and all that mileage, I would be feeling how you were too! Glad you are feeling better and had two great runs though!

Another Scottish Bloke said...

Awesome! I've stumbled on your blog by hitting next on my dashboard. I'll follow now though. Good luck.

Katie A. said...

I can really relate to hating running at times - in fact just the other day I asked myself, "what the hell am I doing this for? Why do I beat myself up?" But you are a strong runner and like me, it was a temporary moment of insanity :)

You are a rockstar with that training plan and marathons - you've got maniac status in the bag if you want it! Maybe, one day, I can grow up and be like you and run an ultra :)

Abby said...

Sounds like you have some great challenges to look forward to when you get back from your trip. Enjoy the champagne extravaganza, in the meantime!

David Yingling said...

Hey, I'm doing Delaware too! I'm actually planning to run about a 3:40 as well so maybe I'll be running with you!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

You are such a strong runner, you will do amazing!! I think it's normal to have the feeling of not liking something, but glad you stepped back and regrouped. :) That schedule looks intense!!

X-Country2 said...

Make sure you take some time to enjoy running. Especially now that the weather is beautiful.

Trail Smitten Mom said...

Thanks for sharing your plan. I'm training for my first 50K & it will be helpful. Good luck!

Jill said...

I so look forward to your journey to your ultra! I have had serious long run issues lately, too! Glad you're feeling better about it!

Johann said...

That's a great schedule. You'll do very well. Glad your mind is positive again.

Norma said...

Hey Denise...a friend of mine posted this link on Facebook yesterday...gave me chills and all I could think of was you! Check it out...damnit, I gotta run a marathon!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dFgH_vDh6E

Anonymous said...

Best of luck!

Boris T said...

Best of luck! Looks like you got running to do. :D

Michelle said...

I'm rooting for you! How exciting!!

Laura said...

Wow...
that is amazing..I cannot fathom being able to do that so kudos!

prashant said...

Great schedule. Lots of miles! You will be ready for that ultra. Oh gee, and 2 marathons before then. You are amazing!
home based data entry

Rachel said...

i am running my first ultra this year and i am super excited! should be a blast!