Monday, April 26, 2010

To Race Or Not To Race

I don't know what it is, but I'm just not content with the thought of running marathons "for fun." There is something in me that makes me want to push hard and race and give it everything I got. While this isn't an issue with NJ next weekend since I'm pacing, I've been thinking a lot about what I want to do at DE marathon in a few weeks. While I'm not sure I'm in peak condition, I've been thinking I'd run hard and shoot for a 3:40. If it wasn't my day, then I'd take what I learned at Shamrock, back off, and enjoy the rest of the race. This all sounded good until this morning when I looked at my traininig schedule for the week immediately after the race....

Mon - off
Tues - 7 mi
Wed - 10 mi
Thurs - 7 mi
Fri - off
Sat - 20 mi
Sun - 18 mi

That's a 62 mile week with my first weekend of back to back long runs for the Ultra. While I do think I recover fairly quickly, I'm wondering if I'm going to feel up for such a high mileage week. And is it worth the risk of injury? DE is only 2 months out from the Ultra, probably not the best time to be taking any chances of overdoing it. And with all the high mileage I'm about to put in over the next few months, I should really focus on staying healthy. I was talking with a running friend about this and she made a really good point. She said, "What is racing DE going to get you that you don't already have? You already qualified for Boston 2011." Very true. My original intent of running Shamrock, NJ and then DE was to get my marathon maniac status. The thought of racing crept up for Shamrock and I gave it a shot. I was never supposed to race DE, it was suppose to be a long training run. Whether or not I race it will not take away the fact that I'm running a marathon and it won't take away the fact that I ran 3 marathons in under 90 days and earned my marathon manaic status. As much as it kills me, I'm thinking it's best for me to play it safe with this one.

And besides, there's already Philly marathon on my schedule in November. I'm going to race this one and shoot for a PR and another BQ. Racing this one will get me something I don't already have.

20 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm exactly the same - I have a lot of trouble doing races for fun. If you don't think you can, skipping it might be a good idea. Or, just do your best to keep it slow. Good luck!

nrmrvrk said...

What is the appeal of the marathon Maniacs? From what I can tell, you pay to be a member, get a shirt and waive at other people wearing the shirt at races? Is there more to it than that? Is it a way to show off to other non-maniacs that you run more marathons and ultras than they do? Is it a competitive thing? I've done plenty of marathons and ultras but I just don't get the draw.

I haven't seen any of the fast people at the ultras wearing the Maniacs shirts, only the back-of-the-packers.

Why does it appeal to you? (I'm sorry if this is coming off as snark or hate, I don't mean it to at all, I'm just curious why people are joining the group. Maybe there's something I'm missing...)

Thanks for blogging!

Marlene said...

Sounds like you know what you need to do. I'm always tempted to race, even when I'm not "racing" but you need to keep that ultra in mind. That's a lot of miles to run the following weekend!

Evolving Through Running said...

As someone currently down with an injury (although I'm not anywhere near your level of running) I wouldn't risk it. That sounds like an awful lot of running in a short period of time if you're not inclined to run the marathon at a slow 'training' pace.

Anonymous said...

I have raced for fun, and I guess in a way they all are for fun...but the goal is always to PR. You will do great no matter what...trust your heart!

Abby said...

This may be silly advice, but is it possible for you to reorient your goals to focus on the maniac status over the speed? For me, sometimes it's as simple as a shift in focus to put the larger picture into perspective.

Jen said...

I cannot run for fun... I'm too competitive.

BTW: Check out my blog for a giveaway. It is Day 1 of the Five Days of Giveaways.

Anonymous said...

The appeal of being a Marathon Maniac is all about having fun! There is no bragging, there is no holier than thou attitude. We are people who enjoy running multiple marathons in short periods of time and we are part of a group that gets that same appeal. Obviously, if you have no appeal or desire to do that, then don't join.

There are plenty of front of the packers who are Marathon Maniacs. Google Chuck Engle. Many times these runners are sponsored and wear their sponsor logo on race day.

And WHO CARES if it's all back of the packers. I don't understand why you are so down on the Marathon Maniacs. We pay to do it, so if you don't want to do it, DON'T. You clearly don't understand the fun we are having.

Also, There is a whole group of the same Maniac club dedicated to half marathoners. You can be both a Marathon Maniac and a Half Marathon Maniac or both.

It's for F U N.

I've met TONS of cool people being a Maniac, all just by yelling out a number.

Stacey said...

Wow! You seem to get a lot of controversy on some of your posts...

I'm with Marlene. That is a lot of miles that following week. I am not super competitive so it is easier for me to run a marathon for fun, although right now I have to take it a little slower since I am doing so many in such a short time.

I qualified to be a marathon maniac back in 2008. I haven't paid any fees, so I don't have a shirt..but I know I could if I wanted to. It's all about perspective. Do you really need to have the shirt that says you are one? I KNOW you are one! (For what it is worth).

Good luck on your decisions. I think you are amazing!

Felice Devine said...

I would go for play it safe, for sure.

I love your new blog title! I'm just catching up so I saw the other post and I have to tell you, I love tan feet, too. I just get so happy when my otherwise ugly, often toenail-missing feet are tan! :-)

Bethany + Ryan said...

Hey Denise, I say take it easy and use it as a training run. Easy for u is probably still a pretty fast marathon! After I qualified for Boston the first time I went through a period where I only wanted to race marathons, I got competetive. But now I just LOVE to run marathons, its so fun for me! I think 20 and then 18 is way too much after the marathon. Even if u recover quickly, don't u think u should give urself at least 1 week before u start ultra training? Your mileage is only going to go up from there, right? Well just play it by ear!! I'm really rooting for u either way and just want to see u suceed! Yeah, I agree with the above comment, you do get a lot of contraversy on ur blog! You will do the right thing! But keep it fun! I would start to worry if it become un-fun! Good luck!

Bethany + Ryan said...

Ps- I like the new blog name! And also, the more marathon experience u have the more likely u'll be to PR, right? So if you run a marathon at a relaxed pace, technically u r working towards that next PR!

Rachel said...

you dont have maniac status and that status is just plain fun!!! I would race delaware, or at least run it hard! Running is a fun hobby and if you want to race why hold yourself back. I think your body from training will completely be able to handle it.

muse said...

Hi
Great blog. You have re-ignited within me my love for marathon running. Don't tell my wife though.

I believe you must rest and give this marathon a miss. Let the head rule the heart.

Ste

Johann said...

I run about 30 races per year and only run for time at 2 or 3 of these. The others are long training runs. I used to chase times often, but got injured often. Since I stopped chasing times I haven't had any injuries ever. Race, but look after your body.

Jill said...

I actually sandbagged Boston and had a blast along the way, which I never thought I could. Sometimes there's more to a race than running your guts out each time, I think! Good luck!!

Aron said...

you know what you need to do (not race), you dont want to risk anything with pushing too hard and having such a huge week the next week. play it smart and have fun! do you have a friend you can run with? bring your camera? things like that always help. it will be a solid training run with lots of support! i think its fun when you take the pressure off :)

N.D. said...

Haha - I would have trouble doing that too (not racing) but I've gotten used to it since being pregnant and not in tip top shape.

FLYERS26 said...

good luck with the races!
Looks like Sunday is going to be a hot one at the NJM !

Katie A. said...

You are smart! Racing hard each marathon isn't easy, and as I've found (that I'm sure you have read) that knowing what your capable of and what your goals are before hand are super important. You are going to be a maniac, and that is something to be proud of - enjoy the long training run, you'll get your medal and status either way ;)