Saturday, April 24, 2010

Happiness...

While I was admiring my tan feet and painted toes the other day at work (I have a thing for tan feet, they look so cute in sandals), I glanced at my tattoo and it came to me. My new blog title was there right in front of me all this time!!

(yes, I do have toes, I was hiding them in the picture because I was missing several toenails)

"Happiness...One Mile At A Time." I got this tattoo after my first marathon in November 2008. I remember training for this marathon and with each week, I became happier. Each week I was marking off yet another accomplishment as my long runs grew from 11 to 16 to 22 miles. Each week I surprised myself by what I was able to accomplish and each week after that successful long run, I smiled even more. Running really has been such great therapy for me. I've had my share of struggles, and still do, but when I'm out there running, I feel at peace. It might sound corny, but it's true. I don't beat myself while I'm out there, I don't stress about stupid stuff, I don't let the little things bother me...I just clear my head and enjoy myself. So there you have it, the new title of the blog! I love it!

I ran 7 miles after work last night and felt like a million bucks. I was wondering if that would zap some of my energy for my 13 miler this morning, which I did less than 12 hours later, but it didn't at all. I had such a great run today. The miles just flew by and it was absolutely beautiful out. I picked it up for the last 3 miles and ran around race pace to feel that pace on tired legs and at times I felt that pace was easier than the long run pace. Overall I averaged a 9:22 and I wish I was still out there.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend...I know mine started off perfect!!

20 comments:

RunningLaur said...

Such a perfect name!

I love that you have a bunch of tattoos, and this one is done so well. The tattoos that my fiance got last week are a pair of Borneo Roses - one on each arm. He wants to get more work done, mainly sleeves and mostly black and red. I'm trying to talk him into adding to it slowly, instead of just deciding that he wants a ton of it after a week of thinking about it.
I'm in the process of collecting leaves on my back as part of a large piece, and hope to find a leaf during the marathon that I can use to remember it by!

Ginny M said...

Love the new Blog title! Happy running :)

X-Country2 said...

That title is soooo you. :o)

Keri said...

Love the new name, and the motto :)

Sara Elizabeth said...

Love the new title!

Jen Feeny said...

Love it and sooooooooo true!

RunningFromCancer said...

What a perfect title for your blog . . . and to think it was in front of you the whole time. Isn't that often the case - things that we are looking for are right in front of our eyes. We just have to take the time to look.

For me - above everything that running does for me . . . the happiness that I get out of it and the feeling of peace are truly the best.

Unknown said...

great name :) I love that your tattoo means something...I want to get a tattoo eventually to symbolize sucesses in my life, when I achieve them :)

Jamie said...

Love the new title!

Tricia said...

love it!

Anonymous said...

Perfect title Denise!!!

joyRuN said...

Your new title is absolutely PERFECT!

And so were your 7 & 13 milers from the sound of it :)

Jeanette said...

Pefect name!

Johann said...

That is brilliant!

Marlene said...

Of course! Great choice! Love the new title (and your tattoo).

Glad to hear you had a couple of good runs to start the weekend!

Jill said...

I LOVE the new title, very fitting :). I have missing toenails, too - I just paint the stubs. hahah. Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Great new title ! LOVE IT :) ( and love the tat )
I hope that my runs become as great as yours. Mind clearing, relaxing runs..I want that. Thanks for a great post!! Love reading your stuff .

Megan said...

I like it.

RunToTheFinish said...

i was totally confused when my reader opened this morning because where was my running journal, but I like the new name :)

Abby said...

Absolutely perfect!