Test run on the Achilles didn't go as planned today. When I first started it was a little stiff but in less than a 1/4 mile, I felt great. No pain whatsoever. I was smiling and cheering to myself. Well, around 2.5 miles, it started bothering me. Not so much pain, but discomfort. That came and went for the rest of the 5 mile run. When I got home I iced immediately and it felt really tight. That's the best way to describe it...really tight. I went about my morning and when I headed down the stairs a little bit later, I had a pretty intense pain shoot up the entire back of my leg. It continued to bother me most of today but only when I did stairs. When I flex it feels really tight and sore, too. It's loosened up now, but I just spoke with the doc and he said what I was thinking all along...that I probably shouldn't run on Sunday. Since this was just a pacing gig, and not a run for a personal goal, it's not smart to mess up my other goal of running the Ultra this summer. I have to get an MRI at this point because the doc felt that if it was something minor, I would have been feeling better by now. So no running until the MRI but I am allowed to cross train. I'm trying to stay positive but I'm completely crushed. I just cried my eyes out but am calm now. It's not the end of the world...there will be other races and by playing it smart now, I'll be healthy and able to run them.
So, it's cross training and lifting for me right now. Hopefully I'll be able to line up at the start line at DE in a few weeks.
25 comments:
ohh I'm so sorry!!! I know it stinks not to pace someone, so I hate to say it...but at least this wasn't your BQ race
Dang it. I know how hard it is to be sidelined. You are strong and fit and this will not affect your training overall. Hang in there and take care of yourself!!
i'm sorry to hear about your achilles pain........Take care.
i am so so so sorry :( like you said at least it wasnt your goal marathon BUT STILL. uggg. hang in there and just think positive thoughts. (((hugs)))
So sorry to hear this! We were all hoping for a better outcome but I congratulate you on doing the right thing! You certainly are a smart runner/individual and you know what u need to do and you're doing it. There are a lot of runners out there who would ignore the pain and end up causing long term damage. Altho its not easy I commend u on your bravery. Hang in there and rest up!!! Take care and feel better soon!!
I know your so sad about this. Hang in there. I'll bring cupcakes tomorrow :)
Denise - so sorry that your few days off didn't heal your Achilles. Now you need to get on the road to healing Make sure to take it easy - you certainly don't want to turn a rehab on 1 week into 2 + weeks because you rushed it. Listen to your body and try some cross training.
I am taking this time of not being able to run to add a exercise dvd to my daily routine. So far so good. I am also working hard on losing 6 pounds.
Get well fast. ;-)
I'm really sorry- injuries suck! Hang in there and hope you get better soon!
sorry it isn't better - glad you are taking a little break, esp this weekend.
So sorry to hear about your bad news. Pacing would have been awesome, but you are right not to lose sight of your own personal goals.
What a bummer. That's exactly what I did with my achilles--tried to run--but it got a little sore and was a lot sore later. It needs more healing time. Praying it all calms for you soon!
I'm so sorry to read this...you're being smart about this though and I'm sure that'll be to your advantage. Hang in there...
Bad news bears! I hope you heal up fast and are back on your feet before you know it!
I'm sorry, Denise. Not the update I was hoping for! Hope you can get that MRI and some answers quickly. {{HUGS}}
Been there with injuries. Just got over a couple myself. However, take it easy, do your other training, and please remember that injuries are inevitable with us runners. It's how we respond to our injuries that's important. Crying is one response, as you know! :-) That's OK. We're all here for support, and from reading your blog I can tell you're a tough competitor. You WILL get through this, and before you know it, be back running. Good Luck.
That's really sad news. The sooner you rest it the sooner you'll be running again. Good luck and take it easy.
Sorry to hear that but don't worry you will be back sooner than you think. I had some pretty serious achilles issues a year or so ago and now - nothing... Hang in there!
what a bummer! I'm sorry to hear you won't be able to be a pacer. rest up so you can be ready and healthy for your races the rest of the year.
So so frustrating! Hang in there!
Ughed, I'm so disappointed for you! I'm glad you're listening to the doc and taking the time to let yourself heal now, so that you're able to be strong and feel good for the rest of the season. I have found that cross-training really does make you a better runner, so hang in there and try to take it as an opportunity to get stronger for the ultra. We should do a triathlon relay right now, so I can't bike and you can't run!
That is a bummer!! But good job making the smart choice and starting to cross train.
Sending you tons of healing thoughts heal quickly!!
So sorry to hear you are sidelined . . . rest will do you wonders. Sending lots of healing energy your way . . .
So sorry to hear! Hope you had a good weekend and get some answers soon! Take care!
Totally sucks. I hope you feel better soon :(
Post a Comment