Wednesday, April 7, 2010

No Luck

For those of you who didn't enter, the NYC marathon lottery took place today. Just a few minutes ago, to be exact. I logged on at exactly 12:30pm to see this:

Marathon registration status: Not accepted

What a bummer. I was really hoping to be selected for this, but apparently I'm not so lucky. In the words of my sister though, "you still have Boston...and you had to earn that one...not a stupid lottery!" So true!  Reminds me that earning my spot into races is really how I want to get in. Even before I qualified for Boston, I always said that I refused to run it any other way than putting in the hard effort and qualifying. I'm all about running for charity and raising money, and I've done that myself for other races, but this wasn't an option for me when it came to Boston. And I'm thinking it's the way to go for NYC, too. Qualifying for NYC isn't easy and I need a 1:37 half marathon (or 3:23 full, which I'm smart enough to know is unattainable), but hey, it's a new challenge. Bring it on!! I'm thinking Philly half marathon in September is a good time to go for this since I was already planning to race this hard and try to PR again this year. Now, I'll need to take 5 minutes off my time to qualify, which won't be easy, but it's worth a shot!

I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to post again before we leave for Jamaica. I took off tomorrow to do some running around and get my long run in, so I'm really struggling to make it through these last few hours at work right now. This vacation is long over due and I can't wait for a week away with Andy. Lazy days on the beach, afternoons at the pool bar, happy hour watching the sunset...doesn't get much better than that. Hope everyone has a great week!!

27 comments:

Marlene said...

Sorry to hear that you didn't get in with the lottery, but I know you have it in you to qualify!

And totally agree with your thoughts on Boston. This is *not* the race to enter via charity.

Katie A. said...

Boo! Hiss! That sucks! But you are so right, it might be more fun to qualify! And you totally can run a 1:37 half...I ran a 1:36 last year and know I can do it again - and so can you!!!
Enjoy Jamaica!

Teamarcia said...

Bummer about NYC but you're right you've got Boston! WOOT!
Have a great vaca!

Aron said...

i was just thinking the SAME THING!!! when i can run a 1:37 half i will be there with you :) maybe that will be the post boston goal.

Unknown said...

Good for you for wanting to qualify! I guess I missed my chance at the lottery, huh? I was thinking about it -- letting fate decide if I'd run a fall marathon. Then I realized that I was hoping the answer was "no," so I figured I'd be best not entering.

Anonymous said...

I was actually super excited to see I did not get in! I entered this year hoping for a 2012 entry. Sorry that you are disapointed, but like you sister said...you have Boston! You know, your BQ. In case Mr. Anon is reading...that was BQBQBQBQBQBQ :)

ShutUpandRun said...

Ahhh crap. Such a bummer. Enjoy Jamaica, mon (sure you'll get sick of that "mon" thing).

Suzy said...

Sorry you didn't get in. I don't know anyone who got in though. Have a great vacation!

April said...

Sorry you didn't get in!!
Have a wonderful time in Jamaica!!

Abby said...

I didn't realize that there were qualifying standards for NYC, in addition to the lottery system. Sounds like a great plan.

Katie said...

sad panda. :( but your head is in an awesome place, about qualifying - you can surely trounce that half!

enjoy your vacation!

Psyche said...

You have to QUALIFY and win the lottery? Wow- how many people are trying to run this race, anyways?

I can see I'm gonna have to befriend a celebrity. Hey, Mrs. Tom Cruise- I'll be your running partner!!

Anonymous said...

Ah, that sucks! The Marine Corps opened today, if you're set in running a fall marathon, you can register for that one!

Jill said...

Sorry you didn't get in, none of my friends did, it's such a crazy race. I learned of the qualifying times last year and was only 11 seconds from qualifying...err. Had I known, I maybe would have fought a little harder??!!?? But you can do it, as you said... A new goal!! It's in you!

N.D. said...

It's so overrated and costly I think!

Keri said...

I'm sorry...I didn't get in either. 3 years in a row! And I missed the qualifying half marathon time by 11 seconds...grrrr. Enjoy your vacay.

Unknown said...

THANKS FOR THIS! I'm racing over to that web site to see if I was accepted...so sorry you didn't get in. It will come!
Have fun on your trip!

David Yingling said...

Enjoy Jamaica and sorry about your luck with NY. I thought about applying but hate having to wait to find out whether or not I made it in or not.

Sara Elizabeth said...

Totally agree with you - you don't just run Boston, you earn Boston.
Enjoy your vacation!!
xx Sara

Bethany + Ryan said...

Bummer about not winning the lottery. i disagree with you about NYC being "unattainable" for you to qualify! maybe not this year but i definitely think you have it in you someday! Look how much improvement you've had since you started running! amazing!i bet you could do a 1:37 in a couple of years. sorry you didn't get in. so far i don't know anyone who HAS gotten in! :-/

Heather said...

Sorry to hear about NYC - I think that would be an awesome race to run someday.

Enjoy your vacation!

Marathonman101108 said...

Sorry about NY. Do you know that if you get turned down 3 years in a row that you're automatically in the 4th year? I don't know if that helps or makes things worse. Have a great vacation.

Alili said...

*Knowing* you (in the 'I read your blog' kind of knowing); you will make this happen.

Keri said...

I did not get in either, and this was my third year to try! I am in next year by default. Have fun in Jamaica!

Felice Devine said...

Your sister is right!
And, I bet you would be able to qualify -- you've done great things with your running already and definitely have much more in you.

Enjoy Jamaica!!!!!

prashant said...

Sorry to hear that you didn't get in with the lottery, but I know you have it in you to qualify!
home based data entry

Emz said...

I feel your pain - trust me. Was soooooo bummed.