The course has some pretty good hills and with it being in February, you never know what you're going to get with the weather. We lucked out today and had the perfect day! A little windy but sunny and in the mid 30's. The race kicked off at 9am and since it's only 10 minutes away, I actually got to sleep in until 7! Heaven! I went into this completely calm but curious to see what I could do since I haven't felt very speedy since the marathon and I wasn't sure what my back could handle.
I wanted to keep my pace right around 7:30 and while this was difficult on the hills, the pace overall felt really comfortable. I really pushed myself up the last big hill, which is about a half mile from the finish, and am so happy with my last mile coming in at a 7:00 minute pace.
Mile 1 - 7:27
Mile 2 - 7:31
Mile 3 - 7:31
Mile 4 - 7:21
Mile 5 - 7:00
So...I'm happy to say I started off 2010 with a PR. The official print out says 37:08 but I'm a little curious about this because my garmin says 36:58. I was pretty close to the front of the pack and started my watch right when I went through the sensor. When I crossed the finish line, the clock read 37:03 and Andy is my witness to that as he was standing right there ensuring I hit my 37:XX goal!! There was chip timing, with the chip in the bib, and a few seconds after I crossed the finish line a kid waved some thing in front of my bib and it beeped. I'm wondering if that's what registered the official time? I don't know but it's funny how a few seconds can bother you so much. But in running, a few seconds is a big deal. I'd love for my official time to read 36:XX even if the XX is 58 seconds!! It's under 37 which sounds even better!! But I'll take the 37:08 because it's just under a minute and half faster than last year and a personal record!
Can't wait to see what I can do at this race next year...oh, and have I mentioned how much I love racing!
47 comments:
Congrats on the PR and the "warm" mid 30's temperature. Nothing like starting off 2010 by having a PR in your first race. Congrats!
Congrats on the PR! It sounds like most things went well - nice temps, close to home, and great splits. Who knows what was going on with the timing chips.
Wow...awesome job! I totally understand about the timing issue, but at least is a PR
Haha! Congrats on your time! I ran that today too!
Check out my recap here:
http://www.andherlittledogtoo.com/2010/02/ambler-running-club-frostbite-5-miler.html
Great job :) You are a super star!
Congrats on the PR! I am looking forward to racing again...unfortunately that won't be for about another month, but reading your race report makes me want to race again sooner!
Awesome time and congrats on the PR!!
Great job. I say what your Garmin says... is your time.
Well done! That's a great time!
I'd go with the Garmin, I do think there is a few seconds' lag time with the chips (and yes, those few seconds do make or break our feelings!) ...you def did it in <37 minutes and YOU ARE AWESOME!
Wow you are super speedy!! Congrats on the PR!! :)
Nice job! I decided to volunteer on the course today and was .4 miles from the finish going up the last really big hill. I can prove as a witness that you dominated it because I saw you pass a few guys going up it. Way to go!
Congrats on the new PR and good for you for volunteering!
Congrats on the PR!
I alway have issue with my garmjn vs time clock. Best I can figure it takes time to get thru the offical start which is when I hit the start on my garmin.
Fantastic job! COngrats!
Nice work! It really was a fantastic morning for running.
Man that is a GREAT time. Very impressive!
Very impressive time, great job.
Wow! Way to finish strong! Yes, a couple of seconds like that would drive me crazy!! You deserve the 36:)
Congratulations on the PR! I also like how you manage to keep your pace the same to the exact second on some of your splits.
I often wonder what it would be like to volunteer at a race. I'll have to try it out sometime.
Congrats on the PR - yahoo!!! Who knows about those crazy timing issues..mine watch is never even close to what that darn clock says. Congrats again!
Wow! Great job! Congrats!! What was the distance on your garmin? I personally always go with the pace that my garmin says because that's your real pace. When they measure a race they measure the tangents, it's virtually impossible to run 5.0 miles on a 5 mile course unless the course is slight short. That's why after a half marathon its usually 13.2 and a marathon is usually 26.3-26.5 (hey, that xounts as an ultra, right?). I always go with with my garmin, that's your real pace and your real distance. If I use a stop watch its always dead on with the chip bt the garmin is just SOO accurate! GREAT job!!! you should be very proud!! That's a great time!! Congrats!
Oops, just re-read my comment, not sure if its clear, lol. What was ur distance on the garmin? You always add on a little extra distance by turning corners and weaving, therefor you garmin pace will be faster since u ran slightly over 5. Does that make sense? Go with the 36:58. Oh wait, you're talking about the TIME and not the pace. Ehh, go with the garmin :-)
Ok wait, sorry, now I'm just being super annoying, was it a chip on ur shoe or the ankle band??
Oh I would be upset too. Way to pull out a FAST race!!
fantastic job on the PR to start off the year!!!
Hey there, I did the race today too (was looking for the timing company since they haven't posted the results, which led me to your blog). Anyway, my time was also off by 9 seconds so I think they printed off clock time because I could swear I saw 35:53 on the clock when I passed but I started about 9 seconds after the gun.
Great race! Congrats on the PR. And Garmin knows your pace best, right?! He was with you the whole time!
Congrats on the PR! I have no clue what mid 30's feels like sense up here in Canada we use Celsius.
Awesome time!!
Congratulations. Packet pickup does sound like a great way to volunteer
Congrats on the PR !! What a great start to the year !!!
Congrats on the PR! I know what you mean, a few seconds seems like a big deal eh? You did great!
wayyyyy to go!!! Your hard work is paying off in so many ways!
thanks for the comments lately on my craziness. I know I'm nuts and that's ok, but it's good to hear other people worry about that stuff too
good time...how were you in your age group (F40-44???)?
That's an amazing time! Congrats on the PR...Yay!
...I was looking at your pace for each mile and thinking that those are pretty much my pace for kilometers :)
Gotta love new technology, right? Either way both times are GREAT but it does suck when the chip is off by a few seconds which brings you over into the next min (37). So if you PR'd in feb just imagine what your PR will be in september!! Wow! Again, congrats!
Too funny about the safety pins... we have a bucket load at home since I always keep them from races.
CONGRATS on a sweet PR to kick off your 2010 race season. You are FAST!
Too bad about the timing issue.... I;d go by your Garmin. But even the slower time is VERY impressive!
Congrats on the PR! Great way to start out the year!
Haha, J is like that about the safety pics too :)
Nice PR!!! That is a great time! You're totally inspiring me to get back into running after the baby comes. I may have to try this race next year.
AMAZING job!!! check out those splits - you NAILED that race :) congrats girl!!!
A little late to the party (naturally), but wow! what a great time and race for you, and what a fine last mile!
That is an awesome PR girly! So excited for you!!! And in 30 degree weather - bad ass!
Enjoy your week!
Congratulations!!
You've gotten so speedy - I need to do whatever you're doing.
Wow, amazing! Way to go on your PR!
Congrats on the PR girly! I have only ran one 5 miler race and have been itching to get back out there and race another one to see how far I've come since that first one. Love that you get to use volunteering as a way to pay your dues, that is awesome!
Isn't vounteering the greatest! I have gotten many free race entries for that and it is just the icing on the cake :)
WTG with the PR...those times are amazing to me!
Post a Comment