We're getting pounded again with snow today. On top of the 18 inches we got on Saturday, we're supposed to get up to another 2 feet today with blizzard like conditions. Thankfully, work declared that only "essential" personnel need to come in. Needless to say, I've never been so happy to be non essential before in my life!! I did make an attempt to log on from home but with thousands of others trying to do the same thing, I kept getting booted off. Devastated. I can't work from home. Crushed. I thought about sitting around and sulking all day, but instead I strapped on the yak trax and headed out for a run! We ran out last night to buy yak trax in anticipation of today's storm so this was the first time I was trying them out. Honestly, I couldn't even tell they were on my feet and they provide a ton of traction. I slipped a few times but it was when I went through some deeper, slushy piles of snow. Really, I ran like it was a normal dry day. I didn't feel like I had to watch my step or be cautious. I did 4 miles and averaged a 8:43 which isn't too bad considering I was sloshing through snow. I had such a blast! It was beautiful and peaceful and I felt like a rock star. But that may have been due to the comments that were shouted as I ran by people shoveling out: "Now that's determination", "Good for you", "Brave soul" and a few thumbs up. Thanks, strangers!!
Here's a pic of what the yak trax look like...and yes, that is a miller high life mat on the floor in the background. Andy made sure to capture as much of that in the picture as he could. He HAD to have this mat, which is nicely hidden out in the garage.
Not sure what's in store for us tomorrow. The weather peeps just said to expect heavy snow for the next 10 hours. I don't think I'll be lucky enough to be non essential 2 days in one week, but a girl can dream. I have a 17 miler to do on Friday so I'm just hoping I can find some place that's clear enough to run.
32 comments:
Sounds like a good day to be non-essential! Nice job on the snowy run and enjoy the rest of your free time!
It's sleeting here now. UGH!
Love my yaktrax these days :)
Hate being essential. But so far I'm only essential 2 nights/week, so can't complain too much!
You averaged an 8:43 pace with snow tires on?! I hate you! OK, not really, meaning great job.
haha i want a snow day!!!! enjoy your day off - its really too bad you cant get on to work ;)
Isn't it funny that no matter how old you get, you still love snow days? Personally if I need to strap on YakTrax I run on the treadmill instead. Good work on HTFU and getting outside.
Dealing with the weather is a freaking hard thing to do sometimes -- good for you for strapping on your tires and getting out there despite the blizzard conditions. I don't mind running in the cold but the SNOW freaks me out.
When I first read your post I thought you referenced your "Mile High Mat" and I thought, they give you a MAT for that?
Glad you liked the trax and they kept you upright and not flailing on the snowy ground. Stay warm. Good for you for getting out there!
I love my Yak Trax - and I totally felt like a rockstar when using them over xmas break.
Enjoy the little vacay - I am jealous we don't get snow days in California :(
Enjoy the snow and your day off. Also yak-trax are sweet!
I love Yak Trax -- sadly we've had hardly any snow this winter but I'll take cold weather running over your blizzard.
I wish I did not need the trax.. but here in Maryland, I do. I need to get rid of the 4 feet od snow first.
Do they make traxs for that? LOL!
You'll get a ton of use out of those yaktrax. Stay warm!
I need to order some trax!!! Or I might never get back outside...I wonder if they make them for stroller wheels?? Just kidding.
Great job getting out in the beautiful white stuff!
Glad you showed a pic of yak trax. I heard about them the other day (on another blog) but had no idea what they were.
Huge fan of yaktrax - enjoy 'em!
it gets below 50 degrees and I am too much of a wussy to go run. Snow...? oh boy. I am so impressed!
My friend and I went to get them but they were all out :(
I am already losing it inside and it looks like it will be this way for another day, if not two!
ACK- no more snow!!!!
hilarious to be nonessential...how is that really even possible?!
yaktrax are my fav...but um in 6 feet of snow I'd think you'd have to run with a shoverl
Denise~ I really can't say this enough. You Rock! yaktrax and snow running ~ you really are unstoppable!
Yay for snow days! Thanks for your comment. That is exciting about your sister! Can't wait to see the light at the end of our adoption tunnel :)
Wow. You are braver than I. I used to live a bit outside Philly and I can tell you that I would not run. You are awesome!
Great job getting out there!
Coolness! Love the YakTrax!
Awesome! My sister has been talking about getting a pair. I'll have to tell her that they get good reviews.
My roommate is having the same thing...except she didn't have to go in today either! Nurses don't get snow days so I had to go in, but the roads really weren't that bad as long as I went slow! We'll see how the roads are for running...
I admire your' determination. I enjoy all these posts about snow and running in the snow as this is something I don't know. Only snowed 3 times in Johannesburg in my 46 year life here.
Yeah, I would be devastated too if I had to stay home like that :)
I bought a set of Yak Traks a couple weeks ago but have not tried them. I'm glad to know that you hardly noticed them as you were running.
glad you had a snow day!! Thanks for the review of the yaktrax - they look super cool
Good for you getting out in all that snow! I think the yak trax or okay for shorter runs, but on long runs I can start to feel them.
Haven't used YakTrax yet, but I bet you'll get a lot of use out of them! Man, you guys have been getting clobbered! Hope you have a great weekend!!
Yeah for a snow day! The storm was so bad I was off work as well. It is snow nice to have free time to run!!
So glad you got to be non-essential for a day (did it turn out to be more??). I haven't tried the Yaktrax but hear wonderful things about as long as you run on the snow and not the pavement, which doesn't sound like a problem for you right now. I will run on my trail running shoes as they have a little more traction than my regular running shoes, if we get a few inches of snow. Nevertheless, I'm so over snow and winter and come on Spring!!!! Have a great weekend, how the 17 got in there somehow!
Post a Comment