Don't forget the Road ID giveaway if you haven't already entered!!
I'm running Shamrock Marathon in VA beach March 21st. Originally, my plan was to run my upcoming 3 marathons at an easy pace so there's no pressure and I can just have fun. Well, I sort of realized that running easy isn't enough fun for me. I love racing and to me, pushing myself to see what I'm capable of is fun! I was planning on running Shamrock with the 4 hour pace group because Coach Jack and a friend are pacing it. But after further thought, I think I'm going to put more of an effort into this one and see what I can do. I'm not looking to PR but maybe a 3:45? I have a 3:50 and a 3:38 under my belt, so 3:45 seems like a good number. I'm trying to keep in mind that I have 2 marathons shortly after this so I have to be smart so I don't get injured.
I've been feeling a little bit better with the speed lately, too. Last night I ran 8 miles and averaged an 8:13. Two of the miles were around a 7:45 and during those miles, I felt fantastic. We also sprinted the last half mile and it felt so good to push myself hard. It always takes me a few miles to warm up and get comfortable but once I start going, I feel great. I have a 20 miler this Saturday that I was really looking forward to but now they are calling for a "wintry mix." Grrrr. I'm sick of the long runs in this cold, crappy weather!
I've also been working on upping my calories and thought I was doing a good job. Well, I calculated every little ounce of food I'll eat today and it only came to 1700. So I'm up a whopping 200 calories and still not close to where I need to be. Seriously, anyone have any suggestions for adding some food into the mix? I feel like I'm eating a ton, all the time! Anyway, since some of you have mentioned you like seeing the eat clean posts, I thought I'd tell you about one of my favorite snacks...TJ's fat free plain European Style yogurt with 1T flax, banana slices, handful of mini shredded wheat biscuits and agave drizzled on top. The European style yogurt is really thick and creamy and the shredded wheat gives it a nice crunch! Mmmm.
Here's my schedule for the week:
Mon - 4 mi
Tues - 8 mi
Wed - off (lift)
Thurs - 8 mi, 8x200 at 5k pace
Fri - 4 mi (lift)
Sat - 20 mi
Sun - off (lift)
25 comments:
I was going to do the 1/2 but didn't register in time. Not sure I would be ready for the marathon. Good luck and happy training.
I say go for it!
I'm hoping for snow this weekend - I missed the last storm, and I'd love to get in some snow-shoeing and cross-country skiing :)
nut butter and/or nuts are a super easy way to add another 200-400 calories per day if you have 1 or 2 snacks of them or add to a meal...
3:45 is a very enjoyable pace! still kind of fast but still not that fast at the same time. i ran boston in 3:45:13 in 2008. i felt great the whole way, i remember thinking what a comfortbale pace it was and i reallllly enjoyed that marathon! i hope you feel the same way!
My 2 friends that were on The BIggest Loser season 5 are also running that marathon. one of them will run probably 3:15 but the other might be near you! keep your eyes peeled! good luck!
I hope we get to meet up at the Shamrock!!!
I just downed a slice of hamburger pizza. Pretty sure that's your 200 calories right there. :o)
great job on working on speed. sometimes running fast can just feel so invigorating!
3:45 sounds like a good number to shoot for! If you're feeling strong, you might as well keep some of that speed in your legs.
I know you already eat plenty of nuts, which would have been my first suggestion for adding calories.
What about a shake?
3:45 sounds like a totally doable pace for you - you can push yourself and enjoy it all at the same time.
Sorry, no help with the calories here...I'm dealing with not shoving enough in my mouth either! I woke up last night at 2am STARVING! High mileage = high hunger! Good luck this weekend!
Fast IS fun!! :) I love it.
I love that you want to run the marathon fast because it will be more fun! 3:45 sounds like a great goal!
Your plan for the marathon sounds good. You know your body well, so you should be able to make adjustments if you need to, but since you've already run faster than 3:45 and just slower, you'll probably do really well!
I know I'm not the best with nutritional advice, but I've found that the best calorie-dense food is a Cosmic Brownie.
And an early Spring 3:45 marathon would be awesome.
You can probably tweak a few things minorly to add more calories. I would suggest making sure you are getting plenty of protein in with every meal and snack and maybe upping portion sizes slightly. Someone mentioned nut butters...those are great too!
Good luck!
You just reminded me I need to get my butt to TJ's. Haven't been there in forever. Your yogurt snack sounds Delicious!!! ~ I have to admit...I get exhausted just reading your schedule! Keep it up!!
that will be fun!! plus not having an exact time pressure will be SO NICE!
adding nuts (walnuts and almonds) is an easy way to up calories... wow only 1700?!
Sounds like 3:45 is very doable for you. Enjoy it!
I agree with the others, add some good, calorie dense food like nuts, nut butter, maybe some avocado and you're good to go.
A couple of Clif Bars? A small whole wheat wrap with a few spoonsful of natural PB and a banana?
Just to let I like your blog, I am reading your blog from Herrera, a town of Seville (Spain).
Good luck to reach your goals.
Jesus
Could you add avocados somewhere? Or some type of nut?
I just discovered the Agave Nectar - will have to look through your posts to see how you used it. I'm sort of lost as to what to use it in other than coffee right now.
OHHH I have been trying to pick a half to run that weekend...maybe I should try VA. I just need to keep costs down by finding places to bunk.
Hmm I agree maybe some healthy fats like avocado, which your muscles need would add the right calories
3:45 sounds like a good time for you. Great job on your run!
Wow, your running is so impressive, especially in winter! Good for you! :)
healthy fats + peanut butter - have more of it! don't measure things? Good luck racing - that's great. :)
Denise-
Thanks for the great words!! :)
Post a Comment