Sunday, February 14, 2010

Mishmash

Here's a mishmash of stuff...
  • I hurt my back and have no clue how I did it. It started Thursday morning and it's not getting any better. I can't even blame it on shoveling snow because I did none of that on Wednesday during the blizzard. Instead, I went for a run with the yak trax and I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. I took off from running on Thursday and only managed a few miles on Friday and Saturday. I missed my long run for the week and I'm actually not stressed about it. I am glad I got my 20 miler in the weekend before, though...even if it was a terrible run.
  • I stopped by our YMCA today to check them out. I can't take not belonging to a gym anymore. I tried to make my makeshift basement gym work, but it's not cutting it. I haven't cross trained over the past year and have solely been running. It's not working, people. While I've been doing a lot of running, I'm a firm believer in cross training. I know I'm not nearly as fit as I was a year and half ago since cross training took a back seat and that needs to change. They gave me a week trial membership so I'm hoping my back is ok tomorrow and I can get started with my old workout routines. That means a 5am wake up call, but it will be worth it to get back to where I was. I need to hussle, too. Jamaica is coming up quick...less than 2 months.
  • Andy and I got a hotel in the city last night and went out to a nice dinner. This was NOT a valentines day celebration, though. I've mentioned before that I am not a fan of this day. Sorry, but I'm all about spontaneity and think it's silly to make a big deal out of how much you love someone on specific day because Hallmark tells you to. Anyway, we had a free Mariott night to use up before it expired and this was the weekend that worked best. We went out to a wine and cheese bar for happy hour then had dinner at a Hawaiian restaurant. We then hit up our favorite bar in the city and a lot of bucks later, I'm still smiling thinking about how nice of a night we had. 

Here's my schedule for the week, back permitting.
Mon - 4 mi
Tues - 6 mi
Wed - off
Thurs - 6 mi
Fri - 4 mi
Sat - Frostbite 5 mile (race)
Sun - 18 mi

I know I've been terrible at commenting lately, I'm trying to catch up. You take off a day from reading and then you're so far behind!!

28 comments:

Jeanette said...

Cute hat!! NIce picture :)

Anonymous said...

very cute picture! i agree 100% about the whole spontaneity thing :)

N.D. said...

sounds like you had a great night! I hope your back is ok. Cross training is helpful, I think! Maybe even just starting to bike!

Anonymous said...

I dont get into V-day either :)

Great photo!

Kat said...

Hope you feel better! I also wish we lived closer because I think we are on the same training schedule and those solo long runs are getting lame! Happy running!

Bethany + Ryan said...

hope your back starts to feel better soon! It could totally be the yaktrax! And if you tell yourself that's what caused it i bet it will get better faster, ya know? like when you know its nothing serious/know what caused it, it tends to ease your mind a bit and lead to a speedy recovery! good luck!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Cute pic! sounds like a fun night. Great week ahead..

Anonymous said...

I ran 10 miles in Yak Traks yesterday and I'm sore in a few places that I never have been before and I'm sure that is why. The Yak Traks could very well have caused you back issues which will pass in a few days.

I think there is a lot to be said about "getting out of your element" by going to a gym. For me it allows for greater focus. I also agree with thoughts on cross training. Unfortunatley, I just haven't done anything about it lately :)

Teamarcia said...

Sorry to hear about your back! Sometimes I swear I just turn the wrong way and do something to mine. Glad you got out for some spontenaity!

joyRuN said...

Glad you got a great spontaneous fun romantic night!

Hope your back feels better soon...

Anne said...

Sorry to hear about your back, hope it's all better by tomorrow. I was starting to wonder whether I should keep the gym membership and you're making me lean towards yes. Cute pic :)

Abby said...

I recently rejoined the gym, too. This winter is just, well, too much winter for me! The gym has been a nice fall-back this past month.

Hope your back is feeling better soon.

Rookie on the Run said...

I had to rejoin a gym, also. Working out at home is just not the same for me.

I really, really hope your back feels better SOON!

I'm glad you had a nice non-Valentine's night out. :)

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! the exact thing happened to me I have recently cancelled my gym membership, so it's nice to know that there are other runners that dont have a gym to go to :)

Michelle said...

Cute hat! Awesome picture!

Hope the back feels better soon and good luck with the race!

Norma said...

How's your back? Hope you like the Y...we have a beautiful one in my area but it's just far enough away that I can't justify joining it (and I cross train probably enough w/my personal trainer and doing MMA but still...it has a pool!!!)...and couldn't agree with you more about Valentine's Day. Hate forced holiday duties of any kind.

saundra said...

I'm in total agreement concerning Valentine's Day.

Sorry about your back, hope it gets better soon.

Heather @ Side of Sneakers said...

Hope your back feels better!!

Johann said...

Hope the back sorts out soon. Glad to see you're still having fun anyway.

Lara said...

I totally agree about V-day, I'm not a big fan either and find I'm just plain irritated by the entire thing. That being said, it sounds like you had a great evening out.

Also, I'm here to recommend the YMCA. We're members there and have gotten a lot of use out of it. The facilities are fine and in our county there are TWO that we can use, depending on where we are during the day, which is nice as well. Hope your back feels better soon!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the back! You think the yak trax caused it? How so?

Katie A. said...

Oh no! I hope your back is feeling better and that that night at the Marriott didn't make it worse ;)
Looks like a great week ahead!

Anonymous said...

Hope your back is feeling better SOON ~ like today ! I'm not sure how you are truly going to feel about moving your workouts to an actual gym....won't you miss that lovely concrete wall that you find faces in ?? LOL ~ Oh and I got my runners I.D. bracelet the other day !! :)

Laurel said...

Love the pic! Glad you guys had fun in the city. What is your favorite bar if you don't mind my asking?

Marlene said...

Glad you had a nice V-day!

I hope your back feels better soon and that things work out with the Y. Sounds like you are itching to get back into a gym routine!

Megan said...

I hurt my back a few wks ago laying in bed reading my oldest a story. Go figure. I run constantly and lift weights. You'd think that'd do it.

Megan said...

I hurt my back a few wks ago laying in bed reading my oldest a story. Go figure. I run constantly and lift weights. You'd think that'd do it.

misszippy said...

Sounds like a fun night out. Hope your back feels better asap.