So, I got home on Friday around 3:15 as planned and was out the door for my remaining 16 miles by 3:30. The run started off ok, I was feeling pretty good and excited to be out there. My stomach was a little off, but I didn't foresee any major problems (like pooping in the woods). I was running a steady 9:30ish pace and had decided to run 7 miles out then turn around and head home. This would give me 14 and I could finish up the last 2 on the treadmill if I had it in me to give me my 20 for the day. The last 1/4-1/2 mile before my turn around was up hill and when I reached the top, I was completely wiped out. I was breathing pretty hard and my legs were tired, which is a little unusual. I knew the rest of the run was going to be hard but I took a deep breath, regrouped and kept chugging along. Around mile 10 my stomach really started acting up and I was getting a little worried. At one point, I had to walk a little to calm it down and thankfully I made it to a Starbucks just in time. My pace really slowed down around mile 11 and I felt like I had nothing left. I shuffled along around a 10 minute pace; just happy I was still moving. When I hit 14 miles, it was dark and starting to snow so I headed inside to finish the last 2 on the treadmill. Just walking in the house, my legs were aching. I didn't waste any time because I knew if I stopped I wouldn't keep going. The last 2 miles just flat out hurt. My feet hurt, my legs hurt, my body hurt. Everything hurt. When I was done, I barely made my way upstairs. I have no idea why that run was so hard, but it killed me. My legs were aching so bad I couldn't stand still and just wanted to sit down. I never feel like this after a long run and it really bummed me out. I even looked bad, really worn out and pale. I managed a hot shower, put on my recovery socks and hit the couch. I didn't even have an appetite but I ate a small dinner because I knew I had to eat. I was so exhausted and headed up to bed early but unfortunately, I wasn't able to sleep. I felt like I was burning up and my whole body was aching. I eventually drifted off to sleep and had some crazy night sweats throughout the night. I even had to change my pj shirt a few times because I was drenched. I woke up yesterday feeling fine except for the fact that I hate a crummy run and it's been bothering me ever since. No clue what went on with that run. Maybe it was doing it after a full day of work? Or the fact that I've been feeling a little beat up lately? Maybe I'm fighting something? I don't know. Regardless, I'm glad I got it in and even though it wasn't pretty, the important thing is that I toughed it out. Now it's time to go redeem myself...
ROAD ID WINNER:
And the winner, #70 picked by random.org, is...
hmm114 from Fat Girl Running. Congrats!! Email me at dclaffey76@yahoo.com and I'll give you the e-coupon to order your Road ID. Thanks to Road ID for the great giveaway!!
25 comments:
awesome job getting 16 in on a friday afternoon!! i don't think i'd ever have that kind of motivation. bummer about not feeling well but way to tough it out and get it done :)
It is sooo strange how some days are so rough. Good for you for powering through..
You really did tough it out too! Good job pushing through! Hope you feel better!
Way to work through it!
Geez - way to go to put 16 in after work, especially the way you were feeling!
With the night sweats & everything, almost sounds like you're coming down with something. I hope you were able to rest up this weekend.
Good job! Something like that happened to me on a little 4 miler. I barely made it four miles. When I got home I didn't want to eat or anything. A few hours later I got a fever and got hit by some flu or something. I would bet any money you were just fighting something off. I hope you feel better.
Sorry about your crummy run :/ Maybe you had a 24hr bug? That might explain the loss of energy, apatite, and night sweats.
question - what are your recovery socks?
I'm with the thinking that you're fighting something off. Way to push it through such a terrible time -- I think I prolly would have called it quits earlier. Oooh, and the search for the Starbucks . . . that's one of the reasons why I love trail running, 'cause there's a "Starbucks" around every tree. Constrained to the roads now for the winter, I'm always wondering . . . Where do I GO?!?
OMG! I'm so excited that I won !! I never win anything...excited to the point that I just got done yelling " honey, honey...come look I won something!" LOL!! Thanks for the great give-a-way!
Glad you made it through! I did some poopin' in the woods last week. Very exciting!
I guarantee the marathon will be easier than that training run.
So impressed that you got that run in. sorry it wasn't an enjoyable one, but know you've upped your mental toughness. Sometimes that's even more important than a good run.
way to get it done, but weird you got a little sickish. after I run my long, I always feel feverish the rest of the day.... hate it.fultered
Hi Denise,
I just saw you comment on my food blog.
Its such a coincidence that I am a runner myself.
Hopefully we will be able to exchange some recipes soon.
Sunil
That's some tough running there! This will make the marathon easier. Runs like these build character.
Sorry to hear about the miserable run. You're a trooper for pushing through it. It'll only make you stronger!
Wow, great job on finishing. I thought for sure the story would end with you puking your guts out! I think you just had an off day, I had one yesterday, and although I have high miles there is no other reason to explain it.
Glad your feeling better :)
I think a tough 16 miler is always more productive toward race day than a breezy 20. Nice work on gutting it out - hope you enjoyed a snowed-in weekend! Sounds like there's another few days of it on the way...
Hope you felt better the rest of the weekend. Mentally, though, I'm sure the tough 16 will help.
Sounds like maybe you are fighting something off. Maybe a slight fever or something? Could be from overdoing it in the weather?
I'm totally talking out of my ass, but it doesn't sound like something normal. Hopefully after a day or two of rest, you'll be back to your old self again.
Good job getting through the run though.
I had one of those runs a couple of weeks ago! Yuck but you're right, you got it in!! You'll bounce back and have a great one this week, I bet!!
Great job on pushing through! I had a similar experience on a long run. It was at night after a long day and I think it was from not enough calories and water during the day.
Good job finishing it out even though it was tough!
Nice job on pushing through the 16. I did the same last weekend and am paying for it now...so hope you didn't get sick like me. In retrospect, I think I was sick before my run which made it miserable. Anyway, hope you are back to normal now!
seriously doesn't it just t you off to have runs like that after many good runs?! It sounds to me like you might be a little sick or maybe just down right exhausted, so hopefully a good rest day will get you back
Post a Comment