I had 14 miles scheduled for today but since I had company at the trail, who was doing 16, I decided to tack on a few miles. As I drove to the path, it was raining lightly with some thunder and lightening in the distance, but I didn't think much of it. Well, as soon as we got out of the car, it started pouring. I'm talking a torrential down pour. We tried to take cover under the trees but it was raining so hard they didn't provide any help. Soaking wet we set off...
We ran past the place where the young girl was killed by the fallen tree branch and there was a little memorial set up. Honestly, memorials on the side of the road, etc really creep me out. Please, do not do that for me if something horrific happens. After we ran past this spot, we actually heard a branch falling. But with all the trees, we couldn't tell where it was falling from. We stopped and looked around and finally saw it off to the side of the path. Made me realize that the girl really didn't stand a chance with a 30ft branch falling directly above her...ipod or no ipod.
We continued on our run, and around mile 8 I knew a pit stop would be in order. I pumped myself up to use the port o pottie regardless of how gross it would be because I knew I wouldn't make it another 5.5 miles to the actual bathroom. Well, when I reached the port o pot spot, the f'n thing was gone. Grrr!! I contemplated stepping off into the woods but couldn't do it. We kept running and in the back of my head I was trying to figure out how the heck I was going to make it another 3 miles to the bathroom. I have never had to go in the woods and wanted to keep it that way. With a little over a mile left until the bathroom I had to walk. I was about to explode. I looked around and knew I had to do it. So I went off to the side, hid the best I could, and dropped my drawers. I looked around for something that could substitute for toilet paper but I was too scared to use a leaf for fear it would be poison ivy or something. I did contemplate using a sock but come on people, I was wearing my Balega socks. I was NOT about to ruin one of those!!
Surprisingly, the whole ordeal wasn't as traumatic as I thought it was going to be. Wasn't fun and not something I want to do again, but at least I'm no longer a pooping in the woods virgin. And the shower when I got home...a shower never felt so good!
31 comments:
Nice! Remember all those peeing in the woods moments while snowmobiling?
Glad it was successful, I don't think I'd feel comfortable running there ever
OMG... so funny.
I am still a pooping in the woods virgin and I hope it stays that way for a long while.
Okay that's my biggest fear, being stranded with no BR. Glad to hear it wasn't sooo traumatic.
Yikes, I haven't had to do that yet but i've had lots of close calls. Be careful running there with all those branches..that is really scary!
I wouldn't have ruined my Balega socks either!!! I carry toilet paper with me at all times...the whole leaf poison ivy thing happened to a friend of mine- awful to say the least!!!
I, unfortunately have had quite a few "woods" experiences....sigh... just part of running for me I guess (I now try and carry TP or something with me...).
Awesome on 16 in the rain!!
I crossed that woods threshold a loooong time ago. Welcome to the club. :o)
HA! Congrats on losing your virginity. You're braver than I am.
J ran 20 around Kelly Drive this morning and was SOAKED when he came back.
On a side note, I was driving over the Walnut Street bridge one day (that huge bridge that goes over Forbidden Drive) and someone had JUST jumped over the bridge to his death like 1 minute before I got there. It was awful. Now every time I drive over it I see the memorial and it creeps me out.
sweet~~ i know you felt so much better afterwards...
Uh, congrats?
no pooping in the woods interest for me at all
I've thought about doing it, but I haven't actually worked up the courage to poop in the woods. It sure would make those last miserable miles on the way home feel much better.
LOLing; definitely better than pooping, say, in a lovely plastic suburban neighborhood, by the side of a bike/footpath on the Cape Cod Canal or at the high school track, which are the places I usually run!:) You're the best!
LOLing; definitely better than pooping, say, in a lovely plastic suburban neighborhood, by the side of a bike/footpath on the Cape Cod Canal or at the high school track, which are the places I usually run!:) You're the best!
My pooping in the woods event thankfully only happened once several years ago and surprisingly remember clearly the event...after hundreds of miles and running experiences...pooping outdoors is very memorable!
Been there. Not fun.
Hope you had a good run anyway!
oh what a horrible feeling during a run. seriously I'm afraid of that. glad it all worked out for you though :)
something i have yet to do... but you gotta do what you gotta do! I rode past a tribute the other day -- a busy intersection with a road bike painted in white with flowers all around. Gave me chills.
LMAO!!! I'm seriously dying laughing right now... I fear this every single run and I'm with you... I'm NOT using my Balega socks if it ever comes down to it! Oh Denise... :)
When it's time, it's time and there ain't nothin' nobody's gonna do about it.
Running in the rain ftw!
Ah haha! Love it. I tie my Doberman to a tree directly in front of where I have to go... bc we have ZERO port-a-potties on our river trail... to make sure no one walks up on me! I feel your pain.
He did. He left around 6 or 6:30am? (I was asleep, LOL)..
He ran out 2 and back on the tow path towards Conshy, then headed up Main in Manayunk and did the loop around the Art Museum for a 20 miler.
Did you run there?
PS. WHAT is UP with all the runners getting attacked lately? There was another one yesterday in Fairmount Park!
Atta girl - as long as no one is coming, go for it. Thanks for checking out my blog and dropping a comment. I think that's pretty neat you used to live in Ann Arbor, I love A2. I'm adding you to my blogroll, g'luck in your 5K this weekend.
LOL Really funny!!!! I'm glad that you weren't traumatize from the experience!
I really enjoyed reading your blog and learning about your progress in running! With your positive outlook on life, I feel that your blog would be a great addition to Wellsphere's HealthBlogger Network (HBN). The HBN has over 2,600 bloggers that share a common goal to share their knowledge with others, which enables Wellsphere to provide information that is personal and relevant to over 6 million visitors a month.
Feel free to visit our Health Blogger Network at http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger , where you can apply to join. Or just email me at hua [at] wellsphere [dot] com.
Have a great day!
Hua
Director of Blogger Networks
oh dear :) haha... glad it wasnt too traumatic. i have often wondered what i would do in this situation.
hope your cut back weeks too... sometimes we just need a break!
Oh, jeez! That's my worst nightmare. Well, one of my worst nightmares, anyway! Glad you only had a mile or so to go.
This is sooooo funny! I have had to poop in the woods but I have never had to poop in the woods with no toilet paper. You're one up on me there! Way to go sister :)
Watch out for falling branches!
I'm totally new at running, I've been at it now for a few months, during these nice dry summer months. I have to face reality, the rain is going to come eventually ...
is there anything different I do while running in the rain? Different gear or anything to do with my shoes? I'm not a treadmill kind of girl, so I'm hoping I can just tough it out and run in the rain ...
haha.. that's funny. I've gone in the woods, but never while running. (Only during camping).
Post a Comment