First, thanks for all the blog suggestions. I checked out most of them and ended up adding a few more to my list!!
I have off from work today because Newman has his follow up vet appointment to get his stitches out and the cone off. It's been two weeks for the poor little guy with that cone on. He's been knocking things over, walking into things...sad but also highly comical! Since I have off today I had my long run scheduled and was planning on doing it at Forbidden Drive. This is the trail I mentioned the other day where the unfortunate accident happened which killed a young female runner. Well, it turns out a woman was raped there on Tuesday night as she got out of her car to go for a run. It was 6:30pm, when there are a lot of people around and it's still light out. I have run at this trail countless times by myself at odd hours when I could go for miles without seeing a single person. But, after hearing about this, I will never run there alone ever again. I'm also thinking maybe I should carry mace while I run. Do any of you carry it?
I really wanted some company for this run so I made plans with a friend who had to start early to get it in before work. Now I'm all about getting up early but I had a 4:15am wake up call!! It's 8:15 right now and I have a 12 miler done, showered, ate breakfast and now I'm drinking coffee. Needless to say, I will be heading up for a nap very shortly. I am happy to report that it was a great run, though. After a really good week of running I think it's safe to say my slump is over.
Oh, and completely off topic...seriously Eagles?? Michael Vic?? We don't need trash like him in our city.
21 comments:
Mike Vick...I agree. What he did was unforgivable. Should be an interesting season.
yikes! Scary stuff about running route. Glad you opted to run with someone else... even if it was super early! LOL Enjoy your nap, and hope Newman feels better soon :)
okay that is pretty scary. If you have a friend to run with it should be good though. Nice job waking up so freaking early and knocking out 12!
Omigoodness! That is such scary stuff about your running route! I would definitely be spooked about running there.
I don't carry ANYTHING when I run :S Sometimes I don't even carry my cell phone - stupid I know! I should probably start being more safe/careful.
I carry mase when I run at night or early morning (when its dark). Hubby bought me some from a running store and it has a convenient strap that goes around your hand.
It's unfortunate that your favorite route has turned for the worse. I don't carry mace, bc I already feel like I carry too much with me, but I have started to consider it more and more. (When it cools off, the homeless population comes back to Phoenix, and it's starting to be that time of year.)
Running with a partner sounds key!
That's so scary. You take care of yourself out there.
Yes, I try to carry one when I remember, which should really be always.
That is wicked scary! I don't carry anything but my road-id - maybe I should reconsider! And I am going to sound like a mom now, but "I don't want you running there!" Okay?
And yes, Michael Vick is a piece of trash - I am seriously contimplating not watching the NFL this year - it will be hard, but I have lost respect. Happy Friday! :)
Can't even DEAL with the Vick situation. And won't either. I am a Philadelphia fan, but to me...I don't care how good you are, he shouldn't be playing. And I will not root for them. If he wins them a superbowl it, to me, is meaningless.
whew...with that done with!
I often carry a screamer- basically it is really little whistle like thing and when you pull the pin out it has a siren sound. I do have Mace, that I carry in my purse, but I dont run with it. I also have a roadID and my cell phone on me at ALL times.
I run with mace every day. Even in places that I'm fairly comfortable running... it's a matter of you never know. I was held up at gun point at work last year, in broad day light with coworkers there and it basically shattered my trust. I run with mace, I never run with my iPod on, just my Nike+ plugged in logging everything and I make sure I am aware of what's going on around me at all times. I map out my run on mapmyrun.com when I run alone and print it out for my roommates with a note telling them when I should be home and what I'm wearing. Safety First.
Scary. Be safe out there. :/
You got up at 4:15 on your day off?! KA-RAZY! But I'm sure it felt great to get it done so early. Hope you enjoyed your nap!
Yes, Vic doesn't even belong in the NFL!
And DONT YOU DARE go running in that place by yourself again! I don't want to have to worry about you being raped or killed one random night... very scary!
Way to go on your awesome 12 miler!! I can't wait til I will be able to breeze through a 12 miler. You go girl!
Wow...what an early run!! I'd head right back to bed!
Oh my gosh - that's frightening - and in broad daylight no less. Just when you think it's safe. *sigh* I hate hearing stories like that. I really enjoy a solitary run sometimes. But, I only run alone in my neighborhood now.
Michael Vic = disgusting.
Be safe out there, if you feel safer with mace, then take it. Glad you had a good run!
Thanks for the well wishes Denise. We appreciate all we can get :)
I was thinking about writing you on FB the other day when I heard about the runner who was raped on FD. I can't believe that! It was freaking BROAD daylight!
I always think about carrying mace too. I just HATE carrying anything. But, I wouldn't really love getting attacked either, so I guess you have to weigh your options.
Whoa! Scary story about your running trail! I used to carry mase. It would help and I am sure you could out run a creep once you sprayed him in the face and kicked him in the junk, then kicked him again.
Thanks for stopping by my blog! After reading about all your accomplishments I think you should totally go for the pictures!! WHY NOT! I am a chicken too but I searched for a photographer I would be comfortable with, I tried to do this last year but chickened out...not this year though! (And now everyone who reads this is going to be super curious about WHAT KIND of pictures! He he!)
Amanda
Oy...
I haven´t been able to read many blogs, with traveling and whatnot, but just saw what you wrote, both about this and the girl being killed.
Seriously? Man, that´s really upsetting...
And, yeah, Michael Vick... when I read that I emailed my dad to see what the buzz in Philly is. I seriously gasped out loud at the internet cafe!
How scary about your running route! I don't think I would run alone there either.
Great job on your early morning run!
That is terrible. I would say pick up some mace. I think that it comes in small bottles -- better safe than sorry.
I mostly run in my neighborhood but when I venture out of it, I carry my cell phone. Maybe I should think about carrying something else, too!
Post a Comment