Monday, August 10, 2009

Upcoming Races

Although I have my sights set on a BQ at Philly this year, I wanted to run more races than I did last year. Not so much to "race" but to get out there and see new courses, etc. So, as of right now, this is what I have on my calendar through the end of the year. I love having races to look forward to!!
  • Aug 29th, Relay for Life 5k (balls to the wall for this one)
  • Sept 13th, Lehigh Valley Half Marathon (running easy, just for fun)
  • Sept 21st, Philly Distance Run (half marathon...using this as a check to see where I'm at for Philly marathon)
  • Sept 26th, Run For Your Neighbor 5k
  • Nov 22nd, Philly Marathon (my first BQ attempt...*fingers crossed*)
I won't lie that I've been struggling lately with the runs. I thought things were getting better last week but then I had a pretty blah 10 miler on Friday. Due to the accident at the path I normally run, I opted to run the 10 miles at the one mile path near my house. Now, I've done 24 loops at this place before so I thought 10 would be nothing. Wrong. Mentally I just didn't have it. At one point I left the path and went off on the roads just to break things up. Unfortunately, it didn't make things any better. I tried every mind game I had and eventually gutted it out. I made it through averaging a 9:18, coming in under the pace I was shooting for.

On Saturday I met up with the running club and thankfully I had a great run. I just felt like my old self again, which I really needed. I've been feeling so down after these crummy runs, I need them to get better. Hopefully this is the week where things turn around...it did start off with a good 5 miler this morning.

Here's my schedule for this week:
Mon - 5 mi
Tues - 3 mi
Wed - 5 mi
Thurs - 3 mi
Fri - 12 mi
Sat - 3 mi
Sun - off

17 comments:

Trishie said...

What do you need to run to BQ? I need to drop 10 min off of my marathon PR of 3:50:43... // looks like some good races this season !

Anonymous said...

I will be at both the PDR and then Philly Marathon!!

X-Country2 said...

Yay for running group! Sometimes it's just the jolt you need. Looks like an exciting rest of teh year!

Marlene said...

I love going out to all kinds of races - it really keeps things interesting.

Hope you find yourself out of the slump soon... good work stixking with it in the mean time.

Mark said...

Way to gut it out and finish with a great time. Looks like a good week coming up!

Felice Devine said...

Looks like a good schedule! Glad things started off well this morning -- you're probably getting the feel back!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Busy training schedule. Cant wait to hear how you do on your 5K!! Best of luck with all upcoming races and with getting your groove back..

Jen said...

Fun! I love having races to look forward to. Races are just so much fun. I love seeing all the people (both runners and spectators) and I love challenging myself!

Good look with the BQ! How exciting!!!

Croughwell said...

Good luck with your training. I have a 15k race this week. We have a marathon readiness series. It starts with the 15k and goes up to a 30k.

Katelyn said...

I will also be running the PDR this year. Good luck!

Congrats on the great run. I love that about running with a group. They can definitely lift you up when you've had a bad week.

Susan said...

Yay Philly! Lots to look forward to this year!

Jamie said...

Glad the running group was able to help you turn things around! Looks like a good/fun upcoming race schedule.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Lots of fun races! YAY! Glad you had a great run on Saturday after some tough ones... hope that helps bring your great mojo back :)

RunToTheFinish said...

ok I feel woefully behind on posts but I'm trying! Looks like a fun race schedule.. I have so many 5k's people are wanting me to do but oye i can only fit in so much!

maybe just knowing you have these races will help you feel back on track

Katie said...

I just ran across your blog and am so excited to be able to see your journey go from training for a half to now being an ultrarunner! Why? Because I have just started my blog, like you did back in '07, journaling my training experiences during my first half marathon. It inspires me that you have continued since then, and that it has made you a better person inside and out. I love to hear stories of how running can change people for the good. It has changed me, for sure! Thanks for sharing. I look forward to following your entries :)

Aron said...

you have some awesome races coming up!!!! cant wait to follow along :)

Unknown said...

It looks like you've got some great races coming up. I bet it's probably normal to be a little blah and out of the groove for a while after your Ultra. I'm glad you had a good run with your group!