Sunday, August 2, 2009

Big Guy Update

I ran my longest run since the Ultra yesterday...7 miles. I had been struggling all week with my runs feeling like I'm putting all this effort out and not really moving. I know a few factors are playing into this...1) I'm running at 5:30 am again. I have a hard time running outside this early in the morning. On the treadmill I'm fine because I set the pace and just go. But outside I struggle to hit my paces when I'm still half asleep. 2) The humidity has been really bad this week. Even that early in the morning it's just brutal and hard to breathe. 3) This weight I put on through Ultra training and recovery is not helping. I really need to drop this weight or I'm going to be struggling through the speed work while training for Philly. I saw some pictures of me from right around Philly marathon last year and I can see that I gained the weight. Sucks.

So, the big guy came home yesterday. Surgery went really well on Friday and they removed a large stone from his bladder. Check this thing out!! I can't imagine how uncomfortable he must have been!


We were suppose to keep him confined to a bathroom for 2 days since he might have trouble controlling his bladder but after successful litter box uses and no accidents, we moved him to the 3rd bedroom last night. I slept in there with him and he was so happy to have the company. It's so sad though. All he wants to do is give kisses and he can't with the big cone on his head! He's much more alert today so we just let him out of the bedroom. He's happy to be out and about again. We just need to keep an eye on him so he doesn't push it too much. We're so happy to have him home!!

22 comments:

FLYERS26 said...

1st !!

Glad you buddy is ok! He does look funny with the cone.

Good luck with the running, you'll be back on top of things in no time.

Jeanette said...

good news! I like the bow tie that goes along with the cone. A very formal, proper look :)

Norma said...

Oh No! Kitteh does not like the cone of shame!

X-Country2 said...

Aww, not the cone! Get well soon.

N.D. said...

i think you look great! surprised you gained weight - it does not look like it and i'm sure you'll be fine! I hear you on the running - you'll get back into it- its only been 2 weeks!

JTC said...

Thank you for your encouragement. Good luck with the motivation - it is hard when it is hot/humid. Need the nice crisp fall air to get moving again.

C.G. the Foodie said...

Awwww poor kitty!

Relentless Forward Commotion said...

awww kitty!! Glad he is doing ok!

Unknown said...

That stone is CRAZY! Good thing your big guy didn't have to pass it, then again, that would probably be impossible.

Good job sticking to your routine! It does stink, but somebody's got to do it!

Ronnie

Trishie said...

what a cutie pie !

Jamie said...

ah the cone... poor kitty. I'm glad to hear surgery went well and he's doing better.

it's hard to get the run done when it's humid. nice job getting the recovery miles done.

Aron said...

ahhh i hate when the pets have to wear cones :( but glad he is home and feeling better!

billdowis said...

Keep working hard running... I will be and we will both kick asphalt this November.

I think I need to get a couple of those cones for my kids.

Katie A. said...

The cone is just bad news bears - you feel like a bad mommy when they look at you with it on, but you know it has to be there! Glad to see Newman is doing better!
Good job on the run, too! :)

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Awww, glad Newman is home and feeling better!

RunToTheFinish said...

aww so glad he's home...oh that makes my heart hurt a bit. I'm still glad we got our new guy, but i can't help missing frisco.

way to go on the run, I'm pretty sure you'll be back at your speed in no time!

Marci said...

Glad big guy is back, that is a huge stone!

Toni said...

Happy to hear your kitty is doing well.

Marlene said...

So glad he is doing okay! I'm sure it sucks for him, but he looks pretty cute with the cone. :)

I always have a hard time moving my legs that early in the morning. Any morning run is a slow, sluggish run. Good for you sticking with it!

kilax said...

Yay Newman is home! He looks so cute with his little cone. I would just want to snuggle with him. Poor little guy!

Midwest said...

Even in the Cone of Shame, he's a handsome guy. Glad he's okay.

Unknown said...

I love black cats! I hope he is feeling better.