Sunday, August 30, 2009

A New PR

Friday afternoon at work my throat starting hurting and I felt really run down. This was not good timing with the 5K I had on Saturday morning. I went to bed around 8pm and struggled to pull myself out of it Saturday morning. My sore throat had turned into a cold. Ugh. I took some meds and headed to the race thinking I'd give it whatever I had. It was an extremely humid morning and my warm up jog had me sweating like a pig. Before the race started I really felt like it was going to be ugly. Luckily, I was wrong!! I didn't have the best race but I still managed to pull out a PR and win 3rd in my age group. I had trouble breathing and was really tired but I finished strong in 21:50, beating my previous 5K PR by 45 seconds. I'm bummed I wasn't feeling good because now I'm wondering how I could have done if I wasn't sick.

7th Female overall
25th out of 160 total runners
3rd in my age group

I'm really happy with how the race went considering I've done ZERO speed work for months because of the Ultra training. This was a good test to see where I'm at and it definitely helped boost my confidence a little regarding a BQ at Philly marathon this year. Coach Jack told me today that this 5K time equates to a 3:30-3:35 marathon time. So hopefully I do have it in me and I'm excited to try!

I'm still fighting the cold today and have spent the entire day laying around with the exception of pulling myself together long enough to get a 7 mile run in. I told Andy when I headed out that I'd be either 5 minutes or an hour...I had no idea what I would do. But once I got out there, it felt great to run nice and easy.

Here's my schedule for the week:
Mon - 4
Tues - 6 (with 6 x 50 strides)
Wed - 4
Thurs - 6
Fri - 4
Sat - 14
Sun - off

26 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

AWESOME! Congrats on 3rd in your AG, and 7th overall!! Outstanding! hope you feel better soon!

Erik said...

BQ or bust.

Trishie said...

great job speedy !

Jeanette said...

You pulled it out of you just like you always do! Good job!

CJ said...

That is awesome!! Congrats on your PR, 3rd age group, and placement! Amazing time, and no speedwork training, AND sick, WOW!!!

CJ

Abby said...

Man, Saturday morning was seriously heinous on the weather front - I think that makes that PR doubly exciting!

Nice work!

Anne said...

Congrats! You're a speedy thang :D

joyRuN said...

Dang! 3rd in your AG with a cold, girl - congrats :D

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

GREAT time! I am going for a BIG PR in my 5K next month. Hope you feel better!!

Katie said...

Girl... You are a running maniac!! That is an unbelievabe PR... AND you were sick! You are awesome :) Good job!
I also cant believe you whipped 7 miles out on top of that while you are sick... you take care of yourself. I hope you get to feeling better :)

Jen Feeny said...

Congrats girl that is awesome!!!! Feel better!!!

RunningLaur said...

Congrats on the PR!!!! I'm a little in awe of your planned miles for the week, even though you're no longer ultra training. Still super inspiring :)

Kelly said...

Congrats! Very awesome time!

FLYERS26 said...

Great job on the 5k.
It seems all the great athletes do there best when they are sick.
I can remember watching Micheal Jordan killing teams with a 100+ fever.

Marlene said...

Congratulations Denise! THat is one smoking fast 5K. You're in such great shape.

You've got a BQ in you this year.

Toni said...

Congrats on your PR!

Ace said...

Grats on a blazin' time and PR!

X-Country2 said...

Dang girl! That's FAST! Great job on the AG place.

Katie A. said...

Great job on the finish and AG place! I can't wait to see what you can pull off when you're feeling 100%! :)

Felice Devine said...

Congratulations!!! That's a terrific time. Wow!

And feel better :-)

RunToTheFinish said...

awesome!!! i love it when a race just comes together!! shows how all of your work is paying off

Chic Runner said...

Nice freaking job! :) That is so awesome and even a new pr. :) YAY for you!

Marci said...

Congrats on your 5K PR, I think you should be able to BQ, you ran such a strong marathon last year, and now, with an ultra under your belt, theres no stopping you!

Jamie said...

Awesome job speedy!

Natalie D said...

Congratulations! Under 22 is AWESOME!!!

Aron said...

AWESOME job girl!!! and while you were sick? amazing :)