Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Shoe Clinic Video

First off, I'm dabbling with the twitter thing these days and put a link in my sidebar if anyone is interested in following me. I'll try to keep you entertained with Andy's obnoxious comments and my poop stories!!

Now, on to running...my running coaches, Jack and Dana, are the official coaches for the Philadelphia chapter of the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation Team Challenge. The mission of the Foundation is to cure Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis, and to improve the quality of life of those affected by these diseases. The members of the team are training to walk or run a half marathon in Boston this summer.

Since I actually know two people afflicted with this disease I was excited when the Coaches asked me if I would be willing to volunteer at some of the group training runs. At first I wasn't sure what to expect but after the first meeting last weekend, I know this is going to be a great experience. It was fun seeing and meeting new runners, excited, with a lot of questions. It sort of made me realize that I'm moving up the ranks. Up to this point, I had considered myself new to running, still wet behind the ears. But after this I realized that while I might still have a lot to learn, I'm not the new kid anymore...I've been around the block a few times so to speak. :-)  It feels good to have some experiences and knowledge and hopefully I can use this to motivate people new to the sport. I'm looking forward to the upcoming weekends when I'm able to help out; I think it's going to be a lot of fun.

Anyway, after basic introductions to the coaches and volunteers, the group was given a shoe fitting demonstration. I thought it was really interesting and even learned a few things. I wanted to share it with all of you so if you're interested in checking it out, it's on YouTube and can be accessed through the links below. Due to the length, 30 minutes, it's broken up into 3-10 minute segments. If nothing else, check out the first 10 minutes...

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the links. it's always good to know what to look for in how a shoe should fit. i tend to go by "what feels ok" which can work but it always a gamble for me

Johann said...

Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Marlene said...

Sounds like a great opportunity and you definitely have a lot to offer!

Thanks for the vids.

Boris T said...

Very nice, thank you for sharing.

Katie A. said...

You have lots to offer - don't kid yourself BQer! Hope everyone reads my comment, because I mentioned that you BQed again! Tee hee!

Megan said...

I didn't know there was a running charity for Crohn's. I know two people who have Crohn's too. It's a tough disease.

David Yingling said...

Sounds like a great experience for sure. You'll be teaching others but probably learning a lot yourself too!

Hannah said...

I will check out the links soon! My computer typically hates videos, but maybe it will work...

What a great feeling to take your knowledge and help out those newbies! I am so thankful for my coaches through Team in Training, and I think you giving back in this way is AWESOME.

Way to go!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

thanks for posting those links, will have to take a peek! What an honor to be asked, that's great!