Last year when I registered for my first Ultra, I quickly realized after doing some research that I might have bitten off more than I could chew. I was so new to running, having completed only one marathon, and here I was ready to tackle a 50 miler. I didn't have a clue as to what I had gotten myself into. While running with a friend from the club, she mentioned that she was using a running coach. Honestly, I didn't even know such a thing existed for the normal, every day average runner. I thought only elite athletes used coaches. After chatting with Andy we both agreed that we didn't want me to die the day of the Ultra, so I enlisted the help of Coach Jack (and then Coach Dana). I've had a coach for the past year and have loved the guidance, support, and most importantly, the friendships that I've gotten out of it. I love getting my schedule every Sunday and not having to stress about finding a schedule to follow, what paces to train at, etc. It's all laid out there for me; all I have to do is run. Well, after a year of coaching, I decided it's time for me to tackle this running thing on my own. If money were no object, I would keep a coach forever. But running isn't cheap and now I have the pricey gym membership on top of it. This is technically my last week with the Coaches and I'll be honest, I'm sad and a little stressed. They have taught me so much and believed in me when I didn't believe in myself. I had a great year of running, which I know they played a huge part in, and I hope to make them proud going forward. I have 2 marathons coming up, an Ultra in July and then I want to finish up the year with some marathons and another BQ attempt at Philly. I better get planning and figure things out. No more having someone think for me!!
So, where do you find your training schedule? When I trained for my first marathon I used a schedule I found off the NYC marathon home page. Any other suggestions?
Running post Shamrock has been going well. I feel completely recovered but my legs are still a little tired. I went out for a 8 miler last Friday and it was a sloooow 8 miles. My legs just didn't want to move. I'm itching to get back to some higher mileage but am forcing myself to take it slow and easy so I don't get injured. Hmmm, wanting higher mileage...I wonder if I'll feel this way when I hit 80 miles a week during Ultra training.
I'm so behind on blogs because the weekend was spent shopping and packing for our upcoming trip to Jamaica. I'll be catching up tomorrow.
Here's my schedule for the week:
Mon - 3 mi (but I might take a step class tonight instead)
Tues - 4 mi (plus cardio)
Wed - Off or 3 mi make up run from today (lift total body)
Thurs - 4 mi (plus cardio)
Fri - 3 mi (lift upper body)
Sat - 13 mi
Sun - cardio, lift total body
19 comments:
I can see how you would be a little uneasy 'letting go' of your coaches and learning to do your own thing. But you know what? You have learned so much already and proven your abilities... you can do this and grow even stronger as a runner. I have no doubt!
I train with the marathon group at our local store (Running Room) and a schedule comes along with that. I follow the long runs and speed work on Thursdays, but tend to fill in the week with my own thing. I generally know what kind of mileage I want to tackle and work around my schedule that way. I like having a plan, but I also like/need some flexibility.
Have a great week!
I've never had a coach or run with an organized group, both of which I would imagine would be super helpful. I have played around with all kinds of coaching plans, but my favorite by far is the Run Faster from the 5k to the Marathon book by Brad Hudson. He gives so much information about how to coach yourself, how to make adjustments to help you where you are having troubles, and he has some great sample plans. I have been using the sample plan as a starting point and building my own schedule.
I can understand missing the security of having the coach. But baby birds have to leave the nest and fly by themselves. :)
I would love to have a running coach. Being new(ish) to the sport I would love to have someone to tell me when to quit being a wimp & push harder and when to back off. But I'm figuring it out all on my own. Just slowly.
You'll be okay I promise, but I share your sadness at losing the coach. If only it were free.
I had a coach for a while last year and loved it. I have been a runner for years but having the coach helped me really stay on track and accountable. It was also easy to just follow "the plan".
I don't know about other distances, but for marathons I've used Hal Higdon's plan and now using the Pfitzinger plan for the second time. i think marathons are simple and there are a lot of tried and true training plans out there that you can use exactly or adjust for your needs.
Good luck!
I hear you about the cost of running. I wish I could have a coach but couldn't afford it :-(
I get mine here, from Hal Higdon: http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00index.htm He has multiple plans and they have worked great for me!
Oh my goodness I TOTALLY understand how you feel having a coach and then being on your own and let me tell you you will be GREAT!
I had a friend of mine coach me through my first two marathons (he is frequently mentioned in my blog). He pushed me harder than anyone ever could, and taught me so much about myself but the skills and the determination he taught me will stay with me forever, and now that he lives across the country I m finally learning to do it all on my own!
PS coach Jack and Dana are awesome!
Wow you have a big racing schedule this year!
Is your ultra a 50 or 100? I am still wanting to do another (or 2) trail 50ks before committing to the 50 miler in October.
Running coach. First I'd need the time and then I'd need the money. Since I don't run to 'win' I think I will be okay on my own and with the guidance of those who have already done what I am trying to do.
Training schedules. Until recently I never used one. I've been running/racing since I was late teens so I think I was doing okay on my own but there is no way to tell how much better the right training could have made me. Again luckily I am happy just doing what I know and working to better myself against myself and not against everyone else.
I still can't believe you only ran one marathon before you did your 50 miler. That is amazing!
I would love to have a coach ... if I had the resources! That being said, I know a lot of talented runners who train on their own successfully. As for me, I'm not nearly as accomplished a runner as you are, but I find that there are enough resources out there that I can find plans and stick to them. The internet and my iphone and gps are my friends. Plus, running is very much a solo thing for me, at least for now - having independence in my training schedule just helps focus that independence even more.
I've always done my own thing. I do listen to others a lot and read whatever I can. Runners at my club have also been very helpful.
I totally understand why this feels like a big deal. You've learned a lot from these guys (and I've loved reading about all your adventures and learning it along with you). But think about how much stronger you've become over the past year, and how much their support and knowledge will continue to guide you going forward.
As for training plans, they're not super sophisticated, but I like the Runners World training tools to provide a basic framework for me. They can be as tailored as you want, and they offer a fair bit of flexibility in terms of cross-training and whatnot. Good luck!
Wow - you are amazing! So cool that you are going to do the Ultra.
Good luck!
Having a coach would be great, but you have learned a lot the past year. I am training for my first marathon and am using the ultimate marathon plan from Runners World.
i definitely think you have the knowledge now to be on your own... i can see how it would be hard but i think you are going to do GREAT! they have given you a lot to work with and now you can tweak it on your own too.
Email Aron she will make you a plan. LOL!! She rocks..
Good luck, I know you will be GREAT on your own you have learned so much about yourself and what you CAN do..
I agree, shopping around for a plan and seeing what has worked for others is how I finally came to settle on the one I've got. But you really know what works for you since you've had a coach, i bet you could figure out a plan.
Jamaica...oh baby I love that place
I'm totally jealous of the coaches. I have figured out all of my running on my own, reading any kind of book I could get my hands on. I've done ok (not fast, but ok with ever increasing distances) on plans that I've cribbed together from multiple sources, notably Hal Higdon's and this calculator thing they have over at Runner's World. Of course, then I screw off and ignore most of the plan, so please disregard this comment.
I am currently using a marathon schedule developed by the running columnist of our local newspaper, Pat Neubert, who is an experienced marathoner. I am training with a group at our local local running store and Pat is the coach.
For what it's worth, you can get Pat's schedule on my blog. Click the picture to enlarge.
Here is a direct link:
http://selfconquest.blogspot.com/2009/12/marathon-training-schedule.html
You are an experienced runner now - have faith in yourself. I have never dreamed of using a coach, but it would be nice. I really have like the Pfitz plan, it has served me well for my last four marathons and training cycles. But I think you also know what you need and what you can handle. Maybe pull some old ones out from last year and tweak them. Good luck girly - you're going to do fine!
you can do this and grow even stronger as a runner. I have no doubt!
home based data entry
Post a Comment