I slept great Friday night and woke up feeling refreshed and calm on Saturday. We arrived at the race start around 7am. My fellow Lone Rangers arrived shortly thereafter and within minutes we scoped out our spot and started setting up our base camp. By the time we were done, we had about 2 hours to kill until the race kicked off. There was a pre race meeting at 9:15 and during that the nerves kicked in. By the time the meeting was over, I was bouncing off the walls and ready to get started!!
It was a different feeling lining up at the start line. Usually I'm fired up and ready to RACE. But this was different. I wasn't racing all these other runners, I was going out there to prove to myself I had the will and determination to run 50 miles. Knowing the heat was going to be a factor, we started off slow, using our 5:1 run walk intervals. There were a ton of other smart Lone Rangers out on the course also using a run walk strategy, it's definitely the way it has to be done if you want to complete this kind of mileage.
The first loop went fine, my legs were a little heavy but that's always the case with me when I start off. We used the first loop to scope out the aid stations and know what we had where. There was a ton of food on the course, by the way. Soft pretzels, Entemens cookies/muffins, trail mix, M&M's, boiled potatoes, bananas, sandwiches, popcorn, bagels, etc. There were also stations that had cold wet clothes, which were a life saver later in the day.
The second loop went much quicker than the first. I didn't eat much on the first loop because I just wasn't very hungry but by the second loop I was doing what I needed to do and was eating a little bit of something at each station. I played mind games with myself the whole day, counting down the loops, and told myself through this one that after the next one I would already be half way done!!
After each loop, coming into our base camp, we were in and out in a flash. There was no socializing or lolly gagging. My longest stop was after lap 3 when I did a shoe change. I'm not sure this was the best idea, but my feet were really hurting so I wanted to get some new support. When I started loop 4 with the new shoes, it hurt like hell!! My Saucony are definitely not good for my bunions. But anyway. I started loop 4 with my Pacer Dave and it was really nice to have a fresh face in our little pack of runners. I hit a couple rough spots during this loop and at times found myself thinking that 50 miles was out of the question. But these thoughts came and went so I kept pushing myself through.
I was feeling tired when we came into home base after loop 4. But I picked up a new Pacer, Bonnie for loop 5 and we set off. This loop is really where things hit me and I mentally went to shit. I was so tired, the heat had gotten to me, my stomach started feeling funny and I wanted to stop at medical, lay on one of the cots, curl up in a ball and call it a day. Around mile 38 I broke down and started crying. I had just had it and I was sooooo tired. But Bonnie was AMAZING and got me through this rough patch. By the end of this loop she even had me talking again, I had been pretty quiet for a while. I finished this loop crying and headed straight to the port o pottie where I had diarrhea. You didn't think I'd leave that out, did you??
Knowing I only had one loop left, I picked up my final Pacer, Pumpkin and a handful of oyster crackers to settle my stomach and the 3 of us (Bonnie still with us) set off. I was complaining A LOT when we started out. I got really nauseous on this loop and wasn't sure if I was going to puke or not. I honestly don't know if we stopped once or twice for me to have more diarrhea but st0ps were needed. I was so not in the mood for food at this point in the race but you have to force yourself to eat. I stuck with soft pretzels and ripped off the tiniest little pieces which took me forever to eat. I could barely get myself to swallow. When we reached the half way part of the loop, my spirits really lifted. It was then that I realized I was really going to finish this. I fought back tears on and off during this loop but kept chugging along. The best was when Bonnie called Andy at base camp to tell him I was only a mile away!! I gave up taking walk breaks with about a mile and half left I was so anxious to finish. When we turned the corner and I saw the cars parked at Boathouse Row, I knew this was the final stretch. I couldn't believe I was finishing!! At that moment, nothing hurt, I felt great and every emotion I can imagine ran through me. I crossed the finish line in 10 hours 4 minutes bawling my eyes out. I met my goal of not only finishing, but finishing in 10 hours. I'm crying now as I type this. What an unbelievable feeling.
Over the course of 10 hours, I ran through heat, I pushed through two of the lowest feeling moments of my life, I felt like shit, but I ran smart and I finished. I took on the biggest challenge of my life and I finished. I ran 51 freaking miles...oh, and I'm paying the price for it today. ;-)
Talk about sore!!! I will NEVER say my legs are tired ever again after experiencing the exhaustion I felt last night. I didn't sleep last night, which really sucked but I got a little nap in this morning. Now I'm going to spend the day reliving the moment of crossing the finish line and then I'm going out for some celebratory nachos!!
Thanks to everyone for their well wishes, you guys are the best!! I have pictures but I figured this was long enough so I'll post them next. But one last thing before I go...NO. I will NOT be doing this again. I will dabble in the Ultras, but I'm keeping it at 50K. No more 50 miles.
After the finish line
69 comments:
Good job!!!!! No... GREAT JOB!!! I'm tearing up reading it too! I'll will be reminding you that you said "never again". Love the pink shirt by the way.
You did a great job. This is so impressive. I'm thinking of you next time my legs feel heavy or my feet hurt. Talk about an inspiration. Can't wait to see more pics!
Holy crap you did it! That is AWESOME!!!
That is nothing short of amazing I couldn't even start to imagine, congratulations on finding the courage to start and the strength to finish. :)
BOOM!!!! You did it! I'm so super happy for you! Now rest and enjoy those nachos....
Ronnie
AMAZING!!! YOU DID IT!! I'm so impressed, 51 miles, that is just beyond my grasp!! I actually thought of you on my run yesterday morning, and laughed at myself when i was tired around mile 6. you are an inspiration!
WOW! 51 miles??? Totally amazing. I think you are a real testament to what a person can do if they put their mind to it. And the fact that you pushed through so much agony and kept going shows such determination. You should be incredibly proud!!
Truly unbelievable! You should be so proud. That is AWESOME! Enjoy every moment of the celebrating. Get some R & R for those legs. I can't imagine the recovery for something like that. Congrats to you!!!!
Holy freaking crap, girl. Congratulations!!!! 50 miles! I am in awe. What a massize accomplishment and way to push through some very tough spots and physical and mental challenges. You're amazing!
You did AWESOME!?!?!?!?
ohh my gosh, so amazing! i am so proud for you!!
Great job! I did 6 loops yesterday too but I took a lot of breaks and did a lot more walking than you did and I'm totally beat so you must be completely exhausted. Great job and I hope you recover quickly!
OMG I am so proud of you! Congrats! You are amazing and inspiring!!! Thank you so much for sharing this race report with us! My thoughts were with you all day yesterday and I even told my roommates about what you were doing and just read your race recap for them. They give you mad props too (and they soooooooooo do not even grasp what you just did) ;)
Rest, rest, rest and I can't wait to see a pic of your finishers medal!!!
CONGRATS!! Amazing!! Amazing!! And I thought 26 miles was hard. Your are stinkin crazy..
I got a little choked up reading this. Great job! You are full of WIN!
Aww my eyes teared up! You did amazing. What perfect weather for it too. It was gorgeous out yesterday and I was so happy it wasn't humid for you. Great job!
Congrats!!!! What an amazing accomplishment.
Congratulations!!! You are completely amazing, not only accomplishing such a race, but doing so with such a positive attitude and at your goal time! Yay!
Wow, how inspirational. Are you SURE you won't do it again?
You are absoutely amazing. What a GRAND accomplishment. You set your goal, worked really hard and you did it!!! You should be SO SO SO proud of yourself.
I wish you many hours of good restful sleep!!!!
wow!!! Awesome job. Fantastic time!! Congrats
Great Job!! I knew you could do it...congrats on a job well done. You should be very proud!
Congrats! I am all teared up after reading this,
What a HUGE accomplishment! Great time too!
I think now we know that you really can do absolutely anything you set your mind on. You are fabulous and amazing and crazy (as always). Congratulations on this huge accomplishment!
AMAZING!!! Congrats Denise, what an incredible accomplishment. Reaching your goal speaks volumes of your strength and determination! Recover well!!
wow. unbelieveable and amazing.
congratulations! thats amazing!
Congrats!! I am in awe of you :) That's such a LONG distance and you did it! You're inspiring :D
WOW! That is awesome. You are a rock star! Congratulations!
Oh Denise, *sniff* I'm so proud of you.
(Love the pink shirt. I have the blue one, and I wore it today. :o)
Congrats on finishing! That sounds like a heck of experience, hope your recovery is speedy.
WoWza!1 Congratulationss!
Great job! That's an amazing accomplishment, especially since it was your first ultra ever. Rest up and recover well.
You were the only one I cried with. I love you tons and couldn't imagine doing it without you!! Who needs a medal.......I got a life long friend out of this, that beats any medal!! You are amazing and I can't wait to run with you again! XOXOX SF
Glad you had a good time!
Great job!
CONGRATS! Makes my measly 10 miler today look like a walk in the park!
Well done. Great effort. Congratulations.
Denise,
That is an awesome accomplishment on the course and off the course as you used your legs and your heart to help others!!!
I can't imagine ever doing something like this. A marathon is all I can "handle".
Congrats :)
You are so freaking amazing!!!! WTG!!!!!!!!!
You are AMAZING!!!!! I'm sooooooo proud of you!
Oh my goodness, Denise. You are my freaking hero! This is amazing!!! You should be SOOO proud of yourself and we are all SO proud of you! What an absolutely amazing accomplishment!!
Congratulations, great job! Great race report too - it would have been easy to have a 50 page RR for a 50 miler, you nailed it - very concise and yet I know exactly how exhausted you must have been at the end. Really has me curious about this event.
CONGRATS!!
This is so amazing.
Congratulations for the ultimate experience!
So amazing. I have goosebumps reading this. You are an inspiration! Way to set a goal and stick with it. Hope you are getting lots of rest. Get yourself a massage! You deserve it.
Congratulations, Denise!! CONGRATULATIONS!! What an accomplishment. You should be SO SO SO proud of what you did. Yahoo!!!
More pics, if you have them :-)
Oh, my dear, what can I say? You are my hero; you truly are. You did it. You set out to do it, you did your work and YOU DID IT.
Great job, congratulations!!!
Great job! That's amazing!!!!
Congrats! What you did is amazing. Incredible job.
Congrats. You are such a strong woman. :)
Congrats and great job! Way to stay tough and finish!
CONGRATS - what an amazing accomplishment!!!! You go girl!!!
I'm new to your blog - and am so excited to start reading more!
Congrats again! :)
I AM AMAZED! I knew you could do it, but I am still in awe! I was crying with you at the end! Congrats!
What an amazing accomplishment! Congratulations!!!!
Congratulations! You did it! You must have learned so much through that experience. You are inspiring!
Great job Denise... you are awesome.
you are soooo amazing girlie!! i am soooo proud of you :) 51+ miles!??!!? ROCKSTAR! congrats and hope you are recovering well!
Impressive finish time for your debut 50 miler, congratulations!
I ran 80, the first 50 being easy, the last 30 being not easy.
We had perfect conditions and they really took care of us with such well-stocked aid stations.
It's a shame you didn't get to run in the dark. That was fun, too!
Congrats on a great accomplishment! It was so riveting reading your report! It just makes me want to go run one myself! Rock on!
OMFG. You totally rocked it and what a great job you did. I know the diarrhea feeling. Totally got that on the 26.2er and I can't believe you had to deal with that on the 50 miler. :) Great job and such an inspiration!!!! Glad you are feeling better now and eat up! :)
Just catching up on the weekend blogs now. Way to go!!! You did amazing and I got a little choked up reading your report :) Congrats!
man. that's it. man!
So late, but you ARE A FREAKING GODDESS!!!
Congratulations :)
Love that last pic.
51 miles? Great job! That is amazing, congratulations!
Nice work! Sorry I'm late to the party here, but you did an amazing job! All that training really paid off, and you'll have something you can look back on and be really proud of. Way to rock it!
This is just awesome! An amazing feat and so inspiring! Way to go, you rock!
HOLY GOOSEBUMPS!!! I'm so glad you posted the link to this race report, because...wow. Just wow! You are so awesome! What a wonderful recap. Makes me want to do one! :)
Post a Comment