As most of you know, I'm training for my first Ultra. I picked this particular race because it supports an organization which I highly believe in. All the proceeds from this race are going to Back On My Feet. BOMF is a non-profit organization that promotes the self-sufficiency of the homeless population by engaging them in running as a means to build confidence, strength and self-esteem. BOMF does not provide food nor does it provide shelter, but instead provides a community that embraces equality, respect, discipline, teamwork and leadership. There are no labels, no stigmas and no stereotypes. All members - regardless of race, education or socioeconomic status - join together to move their own lives forward as well as the lives of their teammates.
I feel very awkward about asking for donations and am not a beggar, so I wasn't planning on posting anything other than the little link on my side bar regarding my fundraising efforts. But, at the suggestion of DelDean, I decide to post about it in case anyone out there wanted to support this cause. I have met members of BOMF and can honestly say that this organization is working wonders. I never would have thought running would be able to help someone get their life back on track, but it has. And I'm not the only one who thinks so highly of BOMF either. CNN even listed founder, Anne Mahlum, as a CNN Hero.
As for my fundraising efforts, I set a goal of $1000 and currently have raised a little over $400. While I have a long way to go, I'm estatic about what I raised so far and appreciate any amount anyone is willing to donate. If you're interested, please click this link to go directly to my fundraising page.
I know times are tough and totally understand that people have bills to pay. I sincerely hope I haven't offended anyone by this post.
15 comments:
I am running for BOMF for PDR :)
It's a great cause and I'm confident that you'll meet your fundraising goal. :)
Your post is not offensive at all!
It so difficult to raise money without feeling like you're bugging people. You're really doing a fantatic thing, and I hope you reach your goal!
I felt the same way asking for donations back in May, but it never hurts to ask! Goood luck reaching your goal! Sounds like a wonderful cause.
Stop bugging and begging me...I already donated :)
You are doing a good thing!!! You are earning "graces".
Can I just say, you totally rock my world!!!
I hope you make your goal!
I think I read about this NFP recently in a magazine or newspaper somewhere...? Runners World? Anyway, it was really interesting and inspirational.
I used to work for a non profit and hated asking for donation (my job was not directly fundraising related), but I got used to it. Most people will give if you just ask, so don't feel bad. You're passionate about something and doing a great thing - that's awesome!
Good luck w/the fundraising!
Good luck with the fundraising - I'm sorry I can't help you out!
Good luck with your fundraising.
VERY cool running for a wonderful cause such as BOMF. Cheering for your race and your goal!
You are not a beggar, but I can totally relate to how you feell.. Good luck with your fundraising Denise!
Well done! You are doing a great job. I HATE asking for money too but this is a good cause and Im sure people will support you.
I'm usually reluctant to ask folks for donations, but after doing lots of fundraising by this point of life...I've discovered it's the only way to get action. I hope you reach that goal.
Denise,
I know it is hard to ask people to donate money.
I don't think anyone should be offended by the ask. People can decide on their own whether they want to donate.
Sounds like a great cause you are supporting.
I will be going to your page and making a donation to support your efforts.
I am always inspired when I see young people that have a heart of service.
Thanks for the ask!
Post a Comment