Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Race Plan Details

I'm finalizing all my plans and finishing up my to do lists. I have notes all over the place of what I need to pack, do, etc. My goal is to have everything packed up and taken care of by Thursday night. I don't want to be running around on Friday taking care of stuff, I just want to sit on my butt at my sisters pool (Oh, Jeanette, I'm coming over) and relax!! I've been working on my race plan and think I have things figured out.

Hydration Strategy - Start each 8.4 mile loop with Perpetuem. Refill bottle with water while out on the course.

Nutrition Strategy - Eat my normal pre run meal of oatmeal and chia seeds around 6am. Before we start running at 10am eat some peanut butter on bread. In addition to the food on the course, I will have a drop bag at mile 4 and then my crew pit stop at mile 8. At both of these stations I'll eat either boiled/salted potatoes, pop tart, peanut butter on bread, Ensure, peanut butter M&M's or salted soft pretzels nibs. I'll also pop a salt capsule at the end of each loop.

Race Course - I ran the course this past weekend and I've been looking over the maps. I know where to expect the water/food/ice stations.

Pacing - I discussed with my Pacers that I want them to let me set the pace, run along side me and count down the miles (I do this in my head all the time). They also know to make sure I'm drinking and that I stop at some point to get some food. I've also told them that no matter what, don't let me stop moving. If I need a break, I walk or shuffle along. I don't stop completely. I'm also a talker when I run, but I told them this might be the one time I actually shut up.

Feedback/Adjustment - I need to check if I'm still having fun, smiling, etc. If I'm getting short tempered or cranky (not me, NEVER!), then something might not be going right and I need to make an adjustment.

Weather - Is looking beautiful!!! As of now, 80 with clouds and sun and a possible thunderstorm. If we do get some rain, I'm prepared with extra shoes/socks/shirt.

Mental Strategy - I already know this is going to be hard...the hardest thing I've ever done. But I'm not going to focus on that. I know I can do it so I'm going to keep telling myself that and make it a point to smile and enjoy myself. I'm going to look forward to seeing my Crew after each loop and knowing they will make me laugh.

Go/No-Go Plan - So I hope it doesn't get to this but to be prepared, I've told my Crew that before pulling me completely, I'd like to take an hour break if needed. If at that point I'm not ready to go, let's call it a day. They have a few questions to ask me which I should be able to rattle off the answers to. If for some reason I'm confused and can't do it, it's time for a break. I told them not to feel sorry for me if I'm tired, that's no excuse to take a break or quit. I only quit if I'm in danger or injured.

It's only 4 days away!! I'm more excited than anything and know this is going to be such an incredible experience. There were lots of emails flying around last night about race day so when it came time to go to bed, I couldn't sleep. No more reading emails right before bed this week...I need my beauty rest!

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are going to be great!! And guess what- I think I will be there watching for a few hours. I just realized (just today) that my friends ex-wife whom he is still close with is also running this race. He is taking their kids over to watch for a while and I might meet up with him. If I do...I'll look out for you and give you some cheers. If not, know that I am thinking of you while you're on this journey. Take care, keep positive and GOOD LUCK!!!

B.o.B. said...

wow! this looks so awesome. your planning must be difficult for a race like this. i for one, cannot wait until the report.

MCM Mama said...

Good luck! You are so ready for this. I can't wait to read the report.

RunningLaur said...

You've got a great plan, and you're going to have a great race!

With that list of food, I think I may be easily convinced into an ultra - I just have to keep thinking of all of the food!

You may want to throw in a hat for back-up if it's raining, I find that it's a fantastic way to keep the rain out of your face, and if you don't like it, you can make a pacer carry it the rest of the way :)

Jen Feeny said...

I am sooooooooooooooo excited for you! I've watched you train for this for the last couple of months now and I'm really rooting for you! I know you're going to do great!!!

Katelyn said...

This looks really exciting. It's interesting to read all the planning that goes into a race like this. It's inspiring. Thanks for sharing and Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great!

Ace said...

I can feel the excitement! Time for all the hard work to pay off. I've enjoyed reading about it. Game on!

Norma said...

You got this one, babe! I'm looking forward to reading your post-ultra blog!!!

Laura said...

I'm so inspired by your strategizing.

joyRuN said...

You're going to be awesome, Denise!!!

Tammy's getting ready to run VT100, & has been blogging about her logistics. Here's a link in case you find any of her stuff helpful.

Regardless, the logistics involved in an ultra just blow my mind!

Unknown said...

I think one of my knew dreams is now to become such an awesome runner that I actually have to make a "battle plan" for a race. That's awesome!!!

Ronnie

Felice Devine said...

Yahoo! Your plan looks so well thought out. You're going to do great!

I hope the weather cooperates!

Marlene said...

I really can't believe it's almost here!

You're well-prepared physically, mentally and logistically. It's going to be awesome!

ShutUpandRun said...

I am so inspired by this!!! You have to remember all the details so you can share with us. Just like a labor story or something. Have you got a mantra? (you probably have many to get you through all those miles...) Which race is it again?

Aron said...

ahhhh! exciting!!! you make me want to do an ultra SO BAD! I need to stop signing up for marathons so I can do one!

You are going to ROCK this weekend!!!

Trishie said...

good luck !

Amber said...

Good luck, Denise! I'll be thinking of you on Saturday!! Can't wait for the report!!!

Relentless Forward Commotion said...

That sounds like a great plan! I am very excited for you :) I just got a sample of perpetuem (and one of heed) that I'm going to try. Glad to see someone else likes it! GOOD LUCK this weekend!!

N.D. said...

sounds like everything is in place! Yay! good luck!

Jamie said...

looks like you have it all lined up. you are going to awesome! I'm so excited for you!!!

DelDean said...

You & I are alot the same... I like to plan out all the details and prepare for 'what if' scenarios.
I'm curious as to the questions your crew is ready to interogate you with (like birthdates of famous people, ex-bf's, or something??). Make sure you study 'cause you don't want them to pull you off the course just due to a brain fart! If this comes into play then pls include in race report...LOL

You've done all the hard work to be totally prepared, so enjoy the run! Good luck!!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

You seemed to have thought of everything. You are so ready for this. You have a solid plan with an amazing crew!! Enjoy the last few days leading up to the ultra!! I'm so looking forward to the report!

X-Country2 said...

I'm so excited to follow you through this. Keep us updated! :o)

Susan said...

Sounds like the plan is falling into place! You're going to be so awesome this weekend!!

Anonymous said...

Good Luck! It looks like you have covered all your bases & got a good plan for yourself. I had no idea there was this much to running!