Thursday, July 23, 2009

What I Learned

While I was out for my recovery run today, I thought about some of the things I learned from running the Ultra. Seriously, after 50 miles, I better have gotten something out of it.

  • It's a very different kind of race when the only competition is yourself. In a race like this, you're not racing against the person next to you or the ticking clock. It's just your will and determination against your tired mind and body. You need to dig deep and when your mind and body are telling you to stop, you push forward and keep moving. I learned that I'm a really strong person and I love a new challenge. I'd rather do something that is difficult than take the easy way out. Oh, and for the record, Will/Determination - 1, Tired Mind/Body - 0.
  • I started this training with 3 strangers and finished with 3 new friendships. There's a strong bond formed between people when you train together and complete a race like this. Needless to say, we all have a lot in common and these are 3 of the strongest people I know. I learned that it's important to find people with similar goals who can understand and support you along the way to achieving something that no one else "gets".
  • I have the greatest husband and friends a person could ask for. My crew gave up their entire day (over 12 hours) to see me every hour and a half for a few minutes as I passed through base camp. I really looked forward to seeing them each loop and even though I didn't get to hang out, it helped so much knowing they were there. While I already knew this, it reminded me that good friends are hard to come by and they make all the difference in life. It's so important to be a good friend in return.
  • The 2 mile recovery jog isn't as easy as it sounds after running 50 miles. I've been walking this week but went for a little jog this morning. My legs were heavy and my IT a little sore. Signs that I pushed hard this past weekend. While it felt good to get back out there, I learned there's a recovery period for a reason and it's not to be taken lightly.

You know, I'm not a very deep person, there's really not that much to me. But I'm always looking to find out more about myself. And I did learn one really important thing this past weekend...I learned that not only can I do anything I set my mind to, but I will do it. I am not a quitter and I am more determined than I even thought I was.

26 comments:

RunningLaur said...

Great post. If you ever have a bad day or any self-doubt you can look back to this and know that you can (and do!) accomplish great things.

Jen Feeny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen Feeny said...

What an ispirational post. I think this Ultra was a life changing, personal reflecting, self respecting "moment" for you. Truly inspiring you are my dear, truly inspiring. Take it easy and rest up!

Unknown said...

You may have already answered this question and I forgot, but have you mentioned what's next? I know you said that another ultra was out, but have you thought of another challenge?

Ronnie

B.o.B. said...

I got goosebumps. Don't you love learning so much about yourself? And that you are so strong and determined to boot? Running has done that for me too. I am so proud of you and I don't even know you! LOL! Great post and great job girl. Take that recovery.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

seriously, you already went back out for a run! Great post, and awesome lessons learned :) Good friends indeed! Enjoy your recovery, and keep celebrating your victory!

Marlene said...

Excellent post! You accomplished something so monumental, it has probably changed you forever. You're one strong, tough chick. :)

Now, give yourself the recovery that you need!

ShutUpandRun said...

I second every thing you said!! The beauty of it is that you can do anything you set your mind to - not that it will always be easy - but it is possible and you are a true example of that!!!

Felice Devine said...

What a great post, Denise! Excellent way to frame your accomplishment. Running always gives us so much, doesn't it? And 50 miles -- yeah, I think you'd get a lot from that!!

Unknown said...

I think it is so neat that you can look back at your challenge that was SO hard physically and "see" how much you learned about yourself...at how strong you are!! I really learned a lot from YOUR experience, thanks!

Katie A. said...

"I learned that not only can I do anything I set my mind to, but I will do it. I am not a quitter and I am more determined than I even thought I was." This is one of those quotes that you should tape to your bathroom mirror!
Again, you did awesome, and great job on the recovery run! :0

Natalie D said...

great reflection, enjyed reading through the process

Sarah said...

Those are great things to learn about yourself! And take your time to recover.

Trishie said...

awesome post !

Mark said...

Great post and accomplishment!!!

joyRuN said...

GAH! I can't believe you're back out on the roads again. My legs & feet would still be swollen and dead.

I can see how such a grueling event would bring athletes close together.

Leslie said...

congratulations on your amazing accomplishment. you should be so proud of yourself.

Toni said...

Congrats on all that you have accomplished. You are a huge inspiration.

DelDean said...

You are a ROCK STAR!

Chic Runner said...

That is really a lot of insight! Thanks for sharing it with us and allowing us to be a part of your journey! I love learning more along the journey about ourselves! Great job again!

X-Country2 said...

Great post. I'm so proud of you. :o)

Norma said...

Thanks for sharing so much with us. I'm so proud to count you among my friends.

Abby said...

Just got home from ten days at sea, and have been waiting anxiously to read your report! Congratulations - seriously, what an accomplishment. Sounds like it was a day of remarkable highs and lows. I'll be looking forward to your advice as I start ultra training this fall.

Skye said...

Congratulations on the 50-miler. That is something really amazing to have done. Will and determination certainly kicked tired mind and body's Ass.

Great post! And thanks for your comment on my blog. No ultras on the horizon for me, that's for sure.

Jeff said...

Great post. Now you know you can do anything you put your mind to. Great accomplishment.

Aron said...

love this post :)