What is going on with me? I'm running a marathon on Sunday in another state and I haven't packed a thing or checked the weather! Who am I? And what happened to crazy, neurotic Denise?? I think I better get moving though so I don't end up rushing around and forgetting something.
As for this race, I've never gone into a race without having a goal. This is so new, and weird, to me. I'm worried that without some sort of goal though, I'll lose sight of what I'm doing out there on race day and not run smart. Regardless of the finish time, I still want to run smart and have it be an enjoyable experience. I don't want to not finish or finish well past where I hope because I started off too fast, didn't hydrate or eat correctly, etc. If I don't finish where I hope, let it be due to a bad day, pooping myself, something other than me doing something stupid. So I decided I will set a few goals for this race, just to keep me in check.
Goal # 1 - PR...but I just laughed to myself when I typed that. I'll give it a shot, but if I were you, I wouldn't go waging any bets on me beating 3:38:02.
Goal # 2 - finish: 3:45 - 3:50. I'm thinking this is a little more realistic and I'm hoping this pace feels considerably easier than a 8:23 (pace for a 3:40 finish).
Goal # 3 - Finish with a smile. As with any race, I just want to run pain free and cross that finish line!
I'm also going to do the unthinkable and not carry my own water this race!! I always carry my handheld. In fact, when getting ready for Philly, this was probably one of the things that stressed me out the most! I like to be able to drink when I want to drink and I hate going through water stops. I worry about slowing down and losing my groove and timing the water stops with when I take my Clif bloks. But since I won't have anyone lined up along the course to hand me a new water bottle, I'm going to be wild and crazy and use the water stops.
While I'm really looking forward to this race, I just realized this will be the first race that Andy won't be waiting for me at the finish. That sort of sucks. I like knowing he's there waiting for me and getting one of his great hugs. Speaking of which, here's a pic from my first marathon. I can honestly say that I will NEVER forget this hug.
30 comments:
I hope I get to see you, but if not, gooood luck!!!!!!
I haven't packed yet either (and even though I am not racing I am wearing my race outfit!) but I do know, and I am sorry to be bearer of bad news) that it is supposed to rain. Beautiful weather Fri and Sat but rain Sun--> let's hope that moves out!!!
have fun this weekend!!!!! i feel the same as you on so many levels, what no goal, what is going on??? haha i think you are going to do GREAT and probably will surprise yourself a little :)
i was considering going sans water for big sur too just to try it out... you will have to let me know what you think :) you can always just stop and refill your bottle at an aid station rather than fight through them?
anyways have a great race girlie!!!
AWWW, love that last hug photo. Totally makes me smile. :)
Sounds like you're all set... errr, with your goals at least! You've been running so well, you may surprise yourself.
Either way, hope you enjoy the experience! And good luck with the water.
Good luck with the race this weekend - have fun!
Good luck with your packing, and I hope that you have a blast this weekend! Go get 'em!
aw, Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great.
good luck! youll kick major butt :)
i went sans water for my last (and first) marathon and everything worked out fine. i guess a lot depends on how many people are in the race and the race itself but i doubt it'll slow you down too much. plus you are so speedy youll make up time anyway :)
and i LOVE that picture!!!
Ok so that pic just made me uber schmoopy and miss Spike. Love it!
You are going to rock it this weekend and I can't wait to hear how you did!!!
What a great picture! I can imagine that moment is such a memorable one. How perfect to have it captured on camera!
Hope you have a great marathon. I like your last goal the best - finsish with a smile. Brilliant!
That pic is great! And I am with you, my hubbs has been at every finish line of every race but one and I would miss him tons, especially after a full!
Good luck girl, you are going to do great! Run fast, run strong, and run smart! Can't wait for the report :)
Sweetest pic ever. And you have some great goals. Having several goals you will be happy with is key. Good luck!
PS: I never carry my own water in races. I hate fuel belts. You'll be fine.
This is great you can be this relaxed. Good luck and enjoy.
Haven't packed yet either. Haven't even pulled out my bag. Haven't had time. Panicing slightly. I haven't even updated my travel list.
My hubs is staying home too. Having a girls weekend. I won't have anyone cheering me on. Maybe my sister but she mat not be finished with her post race stuff.
I'm liking this low-key pressure-free approach!
Have a great time :D
I don't typically comment, but I enjoy checking your blog and wanted to wish you good luck.
Also, if you carry a handheld, most water stops will refill it for you during a race. It might take a bit longer than just picking up a cup but still allows you water whenever you want. Just a suggestion.
Enjoy your race!
GOOD LUCK!
Good Luck! Sometimes when you least expect it you do your best. Where is the marathon?? As far as carrying your water bottle, maybe you can still carry it, and refill it at a water stop?? Looking forward to your race report.
Have a good race this weekend! I can't wait to read your race report when you get a chance to write it.
Good luck! I am sure you will do awesome...and what a sweet picture!!
aww - no husband would be hard, how come? I think it's great you are going into this and will do great. You've BQ'ed so really what do you have to prove? Enjoy it!
Take it easy! I think running a marathon has become a normal part of your life. You'll do great. Lovely hug pic. It is nice to have someone special waiting at the finish.
I love how relaxed you are! Take that to the starting line with you and you'll be golden.
The picture is priceless!
Have a great time this weekend!
Good luck!!!
The hug picture just makes me smile and think about my first race when I saw my boyfriend at the finish line and how awesome it was for him to be waiting there!
Aww, that hug picture made me tear up. How sweet.
Good luck this weekend!
I love that pic!
Good idea to try out not carrying your water in a non-goal race. Have FUN!
Good luck, you'll do great. Enjoy the public water.
Wishing you the best in the Shamrock!
I totally understand liking that big hug at the end! My husband will deploy this summer (5th year long deployment) and I am trying to finish up all my races before he leaves, because I really miss his support.
Post a Comment