Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Sisters

I'm the youngest of three girls. Growing up it wasn't pretty. My middle sister, Jeanette, and I pretty much wanted to kill one another. Things were much better between me and my oldest sister, Michelle. Probably because there was a larger gap in our ages (7 years) and we had more in common. We both played sports and were more tom-boyish. Jeanette was much more girly. While Michelle and I were out playing sports, Jeanette was making "Forenza" sweaters in home economics and playing "house."

The fighting between me and Jeanette was pretty ugly and lasted, I think, up through me going to college. Things started getting better when I graduated college but we still didn't have much of a relationship. It wasn't until I decided to end my first marriage and get a divorce that things really changed between us. I was really alone in my decision to get divorced and it was a hard pill for everyone to swallow since I had been with this person for 11 years. Jeanette opened her home to me and stood by my side and supported my decision. Now, while I'm not mentioning Michelle, it's not because she wasn't supportive. Mich doesn't live as close and being older, she provides a much more protective kind of support. She's always looking out for me and making sure I'm ok. You don't want to mess with me or you'll have Michelle to answer to!!

Flash forward to today...I talk to Jeanette at least once a day, if not more. She is the glue keeping me, my mom and Michelle all in the loop as to what is going on with each other. She has also been going through the process of adopting a baby for the last 3.5 years. Her and her husband have 2 healthy boys but always felt their family was not complete. Dying for a little girl, they started the adoption process. Well, after years of waiting, hopes up, major let downs, they finally left for Russia last Saturday to meet their baby girl. However, it turns out things didn't go the way they should have. The agency they used neglected to tell them that the baby girl was born 23 weeks premature and had health issues. Due to what they saw when they met the baby, they needed to turn this child down. There is so much more to this, which I can't possibly get into, but all I can say is that it's been a heart wrenching two days.

Yesterday, Michelle and I were hanging on to any email we could get from Jeanette in Russia. We were both physically sick to our stomachs worrying about her and so angry that someone hurt our sister like this. I cried all day, I couldn't imagine the hurt and disappointment Jeanette was feeling. And I hated that she was so far away and we couldn't have our daily phone conversation. What I felt yesterday, and even right now, is hard to explain. It's like I feel her pain. I can't stop crying or thinking about her and my heart actually hurts right now. Heh, I can't even pull myself together to go work out...so you know it must be bad!! Although the past few days have sucked, it actually taught me something. I love my sisters, but until yesterday, I never realized how incredible a bond between sisters can be. I am so thankful for my sisters and I haven't got a clue what I would do with out them. I would do absolutely anything for them and wish I could take Jeanette's pain away from her right now.

And if Jeanette gives me the ok, I'm going to unleash on the rep from this Agency they used. I'm crushed and sad and hurt, but I'm also beyond mad. I have no clue how someone can do this to a family. Send them across the world, thinking they are meeting their baby girl, only to find out they were deceived. This is some shady shit.

27 comments:

Marci said...

My heart goes out to your sister, what a terrible thing to happen, especially at Christmas. She is lucky to have sisters to support her.

Anonymous said...

That is just terrible :(

Michelle said...

Great post. I've been looking for an outlet for all the grief I feel but you said it all for me. We will all get through this.

Relentless Forward Commotion said...

my heart breaks for your sister and family reading this. I can't even imagine. I am the middle child of three girls...and it's funny because your story is SO similar to ours. Oldest sister is 12 years older than me, youngest is 2 years younger than me. The youngest and I have always had a crazy relationship, but we are slowly coming around!

Katie A. said...

Sisters are incredible...I am sooooo sorry you are all having to deal with this. Just know that my thoughts and prayers are with you all right now. My family is very familiar with adoption as my cousin, who is like a sister to me, also went through some really awfult stuff before she was able to adopt.
Just know that there are bigger and better plans for you all and that soon you will be able to heal and move on and hopefully find the child that was meant to be with you all along. <3

Keri said...

How heartbreaking. What a great bond to have with your sisters!

Marlene said...

I am the eldest of three sisters (and 1 brother) - mine are both quite a bit younger, 7 and 9 yrs, but I definitely know what you mean about the bond of sisters.

I am so sorry for what Jeanette is going through. How completely cruel, unfair and UNETHICAL!

Anonymous said...

I am crying. And I am not a crier. I do not consider my sister a sister, and therefore feel like I am an only child. However, I do have friends who are like sisters and if something like this happened to one of them, I would unleash on the rep as well. I am angry just thinking about it. I really hope you, your sister and your whole family can find peace in the situation. I am keeping you in my thoughts.

Abby said...

I'm so sorry to hear - what a terrible situation. It sounds like you've been a tremendous support for your sister... I hope she lets you give 'em hell.

Aron said...

that is horrible :( i am so sorry for your sister and for your whole family. she is so lucky to have you there to help support her.

Jeanette said...

Love you!!!!! Now I'm crying again! Make sure everyone knows we are going to get our happy ending. I could feel the support we had all day yesterday and I hung on all your emails too. Thanks for being there even though you are so far away. It didn't feel that way :)

rebecca hallin said...

I am so sad for your sister my heart just dropped! I am the yongest of 4 girls The oldest sister is10 yrs older than me then the next is 8 and then the closest one to my age is 6 yrs older. I recently moved to WA state and now live very close to my oldest sister, we have had our moments over the years but overall she has always been there for me. Oh if you get a minute check out my blog I am a runner too. Keep up your good job!

Janice {Run Far} said...

OMG... i am so sorry for your sister and hubby. What terrible news. I was trying to figure out what your FB status was about. This explains it.

I have 6 sisters, and I am the luckiest girl, cause they all love me. One of them is even my twin sister. She and I never got along till after high school... now she is my best friend and I hate living 1500 miles away from her.
Great post about sisters.

ShutUpandRun said...

I do domestic adoption work and it is UNFATHOMABLE that an agency would withhold this kind of info. I am so sorry for your sister's heartbreak. It is hard to imagine what that must have been like to make the decision that she did. She is lucky to have you has her loving sister. I've always wanted and have never had a sister. The bond seems incredible.

Carly said...

That is absolutely horrible. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

How incredibly awful for your sister and her family! It's so scary to hear of these adoption agences and the anguish that they cause people. Amazing people are opening up their homes, lives and hearts to give deserving children a chance, and being screwed in the process. I'm so sorry. Take care of yourself, and I hope she can fill the place in her family very soon.

Billie said...

Wow!!! So sorry to hear that your sister (and your entire family) has to deal with this. So unfair! I have a younger sister and we, too, are very close. Don't get me wrong, we have our moments, but we're very close. A bond between sisters is probably the most unique relationship ever! Sending good thoughts to you and your family!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear of the pain your family is in. Lots of love to you all coming from Australia.

Wow. I can't begin to imagine how hard it is both on your sister and you guys not being able to be with her at the moment.

Jamie said...

What a horrible situation no one should ever be put in. I'm sorry to hear about this! You are all lucky to have such a close family to get through this together. sisters are an incredible thing!

Bethany + Ryan said...

WOW! That is unreal Denise!! I'm so upset! That is horrible! I watch the Today Show a lot and sadly I've seen people with similar stories. Its just horrible and sickening. I hope someone gets to the bottom of it and that this heart wrenching story somehow has a happy ending. I'll certainly be keeping your entire fanily in my prayers!!! Good luck and stay strong for your sister.

X-Country2 said...

That made me tear up. You and your sisters are so very lucky to have one another. I hope her story has a happy ending very very soon.

Felice Devine said...

Shady shit doesn't even begin to describe what that is! OMG I would go ballistic. That is horrible. HORRIBLE!

I'm so sorry for you, your sister, your whole family. That's awful!

It's wonderful that you and your sisters have each other, especially now. Hang in there!

N.D. said...

That is TERRIBLE!! I'm so sorry to hear that and what you've all been going through. It is great that you have this close bond - but this is bullshit. I hope you get to deal with these people. What a horrible time for them to do this.

Toni said...

That is horrible! You are lucky you have each other for support.

Unknown said...

Hi Denise,
I don't usually read these blogs but I wanted to catch up on Jeanette's trip and I clicked over to your blog. It's really sweet what you wrote about your sisters. I always wanted a sister growing up and I think Jeanette was my closest thing to one. It's nice to hear how close the three of you girls are. Have a great holiday!

RunToTheFinish said...

aww first sorry your froze your face off. second, I have always said that if we choose to have children we will adopt. I know it's a long road with many emotional turns, but I hope that it turns out well for your sister in the end

Laurel said...

This is a heartbreaking, but amazing story. I dont even have words...

I am SO sorry for your sister. I can NOT believe that someone would do this to someone. Is there anyone you can report them to?

The story of your sisterhood is amazing to me. I never had sisters and although I love my brothers, I always wish I had the chance to experience one. There is something about the bond of sisterhood that can not be explained.

You are all lucky to have each other. My thoughts are with your family.