When I was in my late teens/early twenties I used to want to be a foot model. I thought I had the cutest feet and took really good care of them, always making sure my toenails were painted to look their best! Then about 10 years ago, I broke a
pinky toe. I somehow stubbed my toe on a keg at a Jimmy
Buffett concert and my
pinky toe swelled up, never really to return to it's original state. Then a year later, I broke the other
pinky toe at another concert. You think I would have learned my lesson from wearing flip flops to the first concert, but I had such cute feet, I wanted to show them off. Then one day in Michigan, I happened to glance down and noticed a bulge on the inside of my right foot. I pulled my sock off to see that it was the beginning of a bunion. At the time it didn't hurt but over the years this little deformity has gotten worse and not only is my big toe growing under my other toes, I now wear a bunion splint when I sleep to try to stretch it back. Sexy, I know. While these issues are ugly, there's one thing that I don't mind seeing when I look down at my feet. Hard earned, twin black and blue toe nails. When these puppies fall off I might just save them in
remembrance of my
BQ.

Creepy big toe

So
JoyRuN, here's my entry!! I love my black and blue toe nails!
21 comments:
you should love them.... you earned them with hard work :)
I don't even know what to write. Congrats? Gross?
I am sorry about your toes. and I am sooo happy about your amazing run!!! woowhoo!
wanted to share....I have been told that loosing toe nails because of a marathon is not spose to happen :( are you sure you have a big enough shoe? I was shocked to learn a few years ago that I should be wearing a shoe 1 and half to two sizes bigger than what I had been wearing (depending on how far a distance i ran) .... not because my feet had grown but because the longer you run the more you feet swell, the more you need room so you dont get foot injuries.... .... wondering what your other readers experience is with this issue???
:)
just thought I would share... I had awful feel problems years ago and going up 2 sizes totally changed my running for me!~ After my first marathon my feet were great.. tired yes... but not blisters or bad toes :) and the next day I wore 5 inch heals to church :)
I think your piggies are cute! :)
I have trouble with my second toe too. I always wear a 1/2 bigger than my other sneaks or dress shoes but still have trouble after some races.
This is a great post. It's interesting - my feet are one of my least favorite of my body parts. They're wide, and bunioned, and just a tiny bit webbed between the second and third toes (which sadly makes the vibram five-fingers ridiculously uncomfortable). But I never think about how far they've taken me. Thanks for the change of perspective.
hey, those are some digits to be proud of indeed! congrats on earning those ;)
Well, how can you NOT wear flip-flops to a Jimmy Buffett concert?!
Love the black toenails... but I'll be worried about you if you keep them to memorialize your BQ. That would be you, slipping off the edge of cool into the realm of really, really disgusting!
Great pictures!
Ha ha ha! Runner's feet! I can always spot a runner at the beach!
Hey you could be on to something here...toe nail preservation booth at marathon expos! Actually, my first thought was ooo make them into earrings! Haha SOO gross I know, sorry! I can't believe u broke 2 pinkie toes at 2 different concerts! I've only lost 1 toenail (fell off in the grocery store) and it never grew back the same. It's a little funky but it doesn't hurt anymore and I just keep it painted.
You do have very nice feet!!!!
I've made it through a year of heavy dedicated training with only losing one of my pinky toe nails. I am keeping a close eye on the other ones as I start ramping up training this time out.
Feet are kind of gross period.
LOL, I didn't clue in that this was for Joy's giveaway til the end. Nice feet!
Those are the 2 toenails I always lose, too. Luckily, they fell off after my last 20-miler, so I didn't have to worry about *that* pain after the actual marathon. My shoes are 1 - 1 1/2 sizes bigger than normal and it still happens.
Oh man, that was funny! Great pics! I have to say though, Ruthie is right. You are probably wearing too small of shoes. I don't have this prob because I always buy a half size bigger. Maybe try that with your next pair. :)
LOL! Compare to my feet! Yours are supermodel feet!!!
I wish my feet looked like that! You can tell I'm not a runner by my "pristine" feet :)
Ronnie
SEEEXXXAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!
Now that you have pics of your BQ tootsies, maybe you won't have to save the toenails when they come off?
You're pacing the 4:15 group at NJM? I hadn't planned on NJM next year, but hmmmmm....
I have no toenails on my second toes, I paint the stubs in the summer anyway cuz I just can't wear flip flops without colored toes. Your post made me laugh - thanks!! :)
the big toe is hiding! LOL those feet have worked hard for ya :)
OMW this is too funny!!
You will NEVER see my Ugly naked size 10's on my Blog, people would run.. My weight I will happliy post, but feet...nope..
I am always looking forward to Friday.. My Goal for 2010 is to find a job that I enjoy enough that Mondays are not so painful... Is there such a thing??
Congrats on your awesome run! You earned those toes.
I never used to paint my toenails until running, and they started to blacken. I think my recent marathon has been the first non-toe-bruising/falling-off one ever. And how are the splints working? I have a similar issue...
Post a Comment