Registration for 20in24 (the 24 hour Ultra event I did last year) opened a few days early for past participants because they are expecting it to sell out again this year. Before I got the email for registering, I was all set to do it. But when it came time to commit, I got really nervous. Maybe it was the $200 entry fee (ugh!!) but I really doubt it. I've never been one to have a hard time spending money when it comes to running. But something inside of me was hesitant about doing it again. I kept asking Andy if I had fun, enjoyed the training, etc., but he wasn't much help. So I went back and read a few of my blog posts from last summer. I totally enjoyed it!! I loved the long 31 mile runs and even mentioned several times that I was sad training was nearing an end. So I did it! I took the plunge and registered!! I'll be a Lone Ranger again in 2010!!
Last summer there were 4 of us who trained and ran together on race day. This year, it's just me and Puddlz. I have to say, I'm not sure I would have registered if I didn't have a training buddy for the super long runs lined up. I'm good at entertaining myself but when it comes to 5 hours of running, yea, I'd probably drive myself crazy. We already know that Coach and Colleen (both ran it last year) will be there on race day to pace and crew for us.
Now, the big question...how many miles do I shoot for??? Part of me says, "just go for 50, you know you can do that and it won't be too bad" but then another part of me says, "go further!! See what you can do!" I have a meeting with Coach on Sunday to talk about goals for 2010 but I think I'm going to go into this with the goal of 75 miles. Maybe I'll shoot for 100 in 2011...who knows!! Puddlz is going for 100 miles so if I change my mind, I'd have company...just a thought.
Funny, I just read my race report from the Ultra last year and of course at the end of it I said I'd never do another 50 miler again. I'll never learn.
22 comments:
You are nuts kiddo!!
WOW!!! I saw the title and couldn't click fast enough, I am so excited and amazed. Maybe next year will be my first ultra too...who knows I am going to do a couple halfs for speed first.
geez wheezer 200 that is steep
I really want to do an ultra someday...I've only done 2 marathons..but whenever I think about it, I get all excited and giddy...
That is amazing! You are an inspiration!
That's awesome! Cool that the info you needed was in past blog posts too. Someday I'd love to do one!
You can totally do it and I look forward to reading about your training again :o)
You're amazing! Can't wait to read all about it!
Nice!!
I just jumped over and read your Ultra race report from July 2009. I have to tell you it makes me wonder if I can even consider doing one this fall. The support you had was amazing BUT not something I have with my family. I am def the odd duck! I have A friend who has completed several ultras (50mile and 100mile ones) and she works with the track team so if she agrees to do it with me I might have support but. I really have to give it more consideration. It is something I want and believe I can do.
You amaze me for wanting it again. But I know the feeling. I am excited to follow along. I will learn a lot from your training. Thanks!!!
I was wondering if you would do the same one again! Thanks for the "invite" to join you, but I'm gonna have to pass. LOL!
75 miles. Or 100? Amazing....
that sounds soooo fun!! good luck w/ your training!!
You are truly a rockstar - and an inspiration. You make me consider doing crazy stuff like this myself! Thanks! Can't wait to hear about the training...you always nail it.
I am off to see what is in my neck of the woods - but I think you're right: gonna need a training buddy to pull this off! Have a good weekend! ;)
I remember reading your posts and thinking that you were enjoying it. You just seemed so into it -- it's great that you are going to do it again!
Your posts from last year sounded like you loved training for an ultra. I have had races where I said never again but then of course I do it all over and usually love it the second time around. Can't wait to hear all about your training!
soooo awesome :) CANNOT wait to follow your training and race again!
An Ultra in on my calendar for next year - maybe I'll see ya there!!
You're truly an inspiration!
I'm very proud of you.
Let's hope for beautiful weather again!
Here you go AGAIN.. Wow oh wow!!
50 miles...maybe in 3 days..
Congrats for making a commitment to something so inspiring..
congrats that great! maybe 55?
Wow, you're amazing!
WOW, that's one of the amazing things of a blog, you can go back to see if you liked it or not, and despite reading that you'd never do another, prove it wrong! Reach for the sky!
Denise,
I'm doing NJ as a mentor with Team in Training. I'm hoping to bq there so 3:40 is the goal. However, TNT is such a great experience, if it doesn't happen there...I'll make it happen in a fall race. I'd love to meet up. email might be a good place to start mine is moldenhauerc@gmail.com. Congrats again on signing up for the ultra2. Can't wait to try one someday.
Post a Comment