Monday, June 7, 2010

18's and a WINNER!!

After a rough week and feeling like I've been in a slump, I think things are starting to turn around. After dreading my first 18 miler of the weekend and having it go well, I was hopeful that I was on the right track. Well, I won't lie. When I woke up Sunday for my second 18 miler, I found myself again wishing I didn't have to get up and run. Of course I pulled myself out of bed and headed out for what ended up being a great 18.2 miles. It was still really hot and humid but despite the excessive sweating, which resulted in chafing in areas I probably shouldn't talk about, I felt great. I really didn't feel tired until around mile 17 at which point my legs finally started talking to me. Not too bad considering I ran 18 miles the day before.

So after some good weekend runs, I was happy when I woke up today and headed out for a 10 miler without a second thought. The humidity finally lifted and the temperatures took a dive and were in the upper 50's. It was a perfect day for a run! Towards the end my legs were feeling it, but mentally I was back to my old self. Hopefully it stays that way for the next 6 weeks! And just because something has to be off, I think my Achilles has done a little too much over the past few days. It's gone from being "tight" to sore all day and not liking stairs at all. I've been trying to stretch while sitting at my desk and hoping it just needs a good nights sleep.

Before I announce the winner of the Experia Socks giveaway, here's my schedule for the week:
Mon - 10 mi
Tues - Cross train/lift (am) / 5 mi (pm)
Wed - 7 mi
Thurs - Cross train/lift
Fri - 20 mi
Sat - 20 mi
Sun - 5k (I'll be running a 5k with my sister and Andy...it's their first one!!)

Ok, and now for the winner...selected by random # generator...Jamie from "Running and Some Sauce on Top." Jamie (aka booger), email me so I can send hook you up with some socks!

18 comments:

Steel Springs said...

Nice job on those 18s! I hope your Achilles feels better!

ShutUpandRun said...

Back to back 20s!! Hard core. I know you'll do well.

Abby said...

Nice work on another week of double long-runs!

And don't get me started on unmentionable chafing :)

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

you rock those long miles!!!

congrats to jamie

Iron Mike said...

Tell that achilles to leave you alone. Way to knock out those back-to-back 18's.

Jamie said...

Yea! Glad it turned around for you this weekend!

I'm excited about some socks - I'm going to contact you now :)

Marlene said...

Yay! So happy your second 18 miler went well. And then you got up on Monday for another 10? Way to go, lady! Hope the achilles feels good today.

Congrats to Jamie!!

Michelle said...

And don't think you're making runners out of Andy and me!

RunToTheFinish said...

golly i just have 1 20 miler on saturday and was worried about that.. I'll try to keep it in perspective now

Johann said...

You are really pushing hard with your training! I'm very impressed. I'll think of you when I start my long runs. Very inspiring.

Aron said...

I remember going through these same thoughts during last summer. I just did NOT want to go run and sometimes it still sucked, but then there would be the great runs and it reminded me of why I do it. You are training a lot and pushing yourself hard, you will have those moments where you just don't want to... but you do and that's what counts :) glad you felt better after nailing your 18s!

Katie A. said...

Glad you got your runs done! I have so been there when you just don't want to run, no matter how important it is to you! You are amazing!
Do you mind if I ask, but what pace do you hold while running these long runs? Just curious, you keep amazing me every week!
And sorry about the a-hole who decided to be a douche and write crap about you - pathetic!

Jill said...

Way to crank out those back-to-back 18's, that's very impressive and you'll totaly rock the 20's this week. Um, yeah, I body glided everywhere on my body except that "one" place and yeah, chaffing... err. Have a great week!!

N.D. said...

Great job pushing through your runs and hope the mojo comes back!

X-Country2 said...

Glad that mojo is coming back!

Boris T said...

Back to back 20's impressive.

Felice Devine said...

Wow. Good luck with the back to back 20s -- run strong!

Bootchez said...

Hey lady, nice runs!

Oooh, chafing . . . I have always had problems with my thighs chafing right there way up top. This problem has totally gone away with the addition of compression shorts to my running uniform. Very thin and inexpensive, any hint of chafing is eliminated. Don't know how I survived before them . . .