Wednesday, June 30, 2010

My First Swim

Day 3 of the boot and I'm ready to lose my mind. The thing is heavy, hot and I have to sit on public toilets because I can't squat low enough in this thing. Thank God we have the toilet seat covers at work. Which happen to be called "rest assured." I always thought that was funny. Anyway...

I made it into the pool yesterday. My first official swim workout. I suited up in my flashy pink and black Speedo and pink goggles and felt like a little kid on their first day of school. From reading other blogs, I know there are some rules to follow so I tried to ask the lifeguard about the rules/etiquette before I got in the pool. But the little snoot, who wouldn't even turn her head to talk to me, stared straight ahead and mumbled something about circles. Huh? Circles? Clearly I wasn't going to get any helpful information out of this chick. So I easily decided on the "slow/rehab" lane, hopped in, and started swimming. I got one length of the pool when a nice lady stopped me and explained I was in a lane that was already taken. Yea, I was that confused. Anyway, she explained the lane markers and some other basics and pointed me in the right direction.

At first it was fun being in the pool, doing something different. I've grown up with a pool accessible each summer so I know how to swim. I have no idea if I'm any good at it, but it actually felt really easy to me. I wasn't lagging it, either. I was trying to put a good effort into it and a few times my heart rate got pretty high, higher than it normally does with running. I wasn't able to keep it up there though because I needed my breath so I could keep going.  My upper body didn't tire out but I did feel it in my legs and I had some pain in my Achilles. I switched up my strokes between freestyle and breast stroke and didn't take any breaks. But, to play it safe since I had no idea how my leg or body would feel after it, I called it quits after 50 minutes.

The rest of the day I felt like I hadn't worked out at all. Is this normal after swimming? Or is it just in my head that I didn't get a good workout in? Maybe I need to push harder? I will say though, I woke up a little sore this morning in the legs. Mostly my inner thighs which I think it from the breast stroke. The only other thing that was sore was my face. Yea, my face. I think from breathing and blowing air out hard?? Who knows.

I rode the bike today for an hour and honestly, that sort of sucked. I can't ride hard so it wasn't much of a workout to me. Tomorrow I'm going to lift and I'm sure that will be a ton of fun trying to do leg extensions and hamstring curls with this thing on. Hopefully by next week I'm cleared to do the elliptical.

Has it been a month yet?

13 comments:

X-Country2 said...

Yay for swimming! I never feel that same "exhausted/sore" feeling I get after a run, but it sure does make me hungry.

Unknown said...

Ha! I just had a new experience with swimming too. It's so hard for me! I had to ask the lifeguard questions about etiquette, etc. but he was pretty nice about it. All I can say about swimming is that it isn't coming naturally at all but I'm sticking with it!

Iron Mike said...

You're right, you shouldn't feel much fatigue after a swim. Your arms might be a little weak during the day (I try to avoid replacing the 5-gallon water jugs) and your arms actually should a little sore the following morning.

Are you concerned about your achilles hurting in the pool, too? Remember, this should only be a one-month-boot!

And, you might want to drop one of those travel-size Lysol bottles into your purse for less accomodating restrooms.

Jen Feeny said...

Girl I would be right there with you in being lost at the pool! It's the very reason why I haven't attempted to swim laps at my new gym yet! Just keep up all the xtraining and you'll be back pounding the streets in no time!

Jeanette said...

You are being a good girl! You shouldn't have pain in the achilles with swimming, should you?

Will you be wearing your boot while sunbathing this weekend???

Anonymous said...

UUUGH I get that! I totally have tendonitis in my foot I'm hoping only off for a wk. I can do about 3 laps then gasp for air 3 and gasp. I hate it! I miss running and have been seriously depressed not running. Lifting has been rough too because I can't calm down enough to focus! LOL Good luck this injury business suck and is not for the fain of heart.

Amber said...

I've found that I don't really feel like I've had a good workout after swimming either. I'll get my heart rate up and feel tired while IN the pool, but the rest of the day I feel no different.

Good luck! The month will FLY by :)

Anonymous said...

Swimming should not fatigue you unless you are pushing race pace. And you definitely won't feel it later. so yes, that is normal.

As for the snooty lifegaurd- EW. If you have any swimming questions, feel free to email me.

Unknown said...

I love swimming, but yes, I also feel I don't get as much of a workout. However, I get ravishingly hungry after swimming...Eek. Keep it up, Sunny D! You'll get through it!

Johann said...

Well done for staying active! Unfortunately nothing beats being out on the road. Good luck with this, before you know its something of the past.

N.D. said...

Glad you got in the pool. I think it's a great overall workout for all your muscles. 50 minutes is excellent. Do they have kickboards and pull buoys? Then you could focus on your legs and arms too. I'm usually just tired after a swim workout later in the day, but sometimes not. Can you do some pool running?

Lauren @ mostly i run said...

If the pool doesn't have pool buoys you can use, buy one. It's an hourglass-shaped float that you put between your legs. No kicking, so you can really rest your leg and you'll feel it in your arms!

Swimming also works your abs if you're rotating enough!

Maren said...

I'm always too scared to swim. Props to you for just jumping in the deep end and giving it a go.