Friday, October 16, 2009

20 on the Treadmill

I just ran my first 20 miler since the Ultra. Since it's pretty miserable out, raining and cold, I decided to go to my sisters house and run on her treadmill. I'm usually not such a sissy about the weather but we're leaving town in an hour for the weekend and I didn't want to feel icky. Sometimes it takes me a day or two to warm up after a really chilly run! Anyway, I haven't run on a treadmill since last April and it took a little bit of getting used to. First off, my pace felt quicker than it actually was but I quickly settled in to where I needed to be. I decided to break it up by getting off the treadmill every 5 miles which worked out well because it turned out I had to use the bathroom right about then anyway. One nice thing about running on a treadmill, I didn't have to worry about pooping in the woods. Since I was running inside, I was sweating so much more than normal. I was literally drenched, down to my undies! Running in soaking wet clothes really sucks and leads to some insane chafing. I just got out of THE MOST PAINFUL shower I've ever taken. I rarely, if ever, chafe but today was terrible. From the band of my shorts, my back, under my ta-tas, under my arms, my chest and my collar bone nubbins...ugh. All the red marks should look pretty in the dresses I'll be wearing this weekend. So despite all this complaining...first 20 miler of the training season in the books. I'm sporting my recovery socks and feeling great. Not tired or sore and ready for a great weekend!!

Pumpkin got married today so we're heading down to Cape May to celebrate. We'll be going to dinner tonight with her family and then the reception is tomorrow. I'll catch up on blogs when we get back to town. Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

33 comments:

ShutUpandRun said...

I am bowing down to you - 20 miles on treadmill!!!

Jamie said...

amazing! way to get it done!

Anonymous said...

Wow- I start bitching after 5-6 miles on the treadmill! Seriously, that is awesome, WAY TO GO!!!

DelDean said...

20 on treadmill - yikes. Way to go. And yeah, I know about that shower after a major chafe situation. Damn. That really stings don't it? I had a nipple incident earlier this year. Felt like someone had used a belt sander right on the nub of the nip. Just thinking about it now makes me wince just a bit.

Anyway: I 'had to go' back to read your Wood Poopin' post from Aug. Been busy and missed your adventure there. Advice: carry along 1 or 2 of those restaurant "wet naps" which are better than t.p. when a person is all sweaty down thar. The t.p. just falls apart in my experience. Plus they are small enuf to fit in any pocket or fuel belt...and they last forever until the next fateful day when neeeded.

Also, you get to chow down on BBQ ribs as an excuse to procure the wet naps.

Suzy said...

20 on a treadmill is amazing! Running indoors I use more body glide than when I run outdoors...because of the sweat. I hope you have a great time away.

RunToTheFinish said...

i've done 15 on the mil while watching a movie, but that was back when I ran on the mil all the time...now I don't know if I could do it

Erin said...

Oh my god. You are amazing. You really, really wanted to get that run in, didn't you? I think the most I've ever done on the treadmill is half that distance. What a surprise to learn my treadmill shuts off after 99 minutes!

Kathleen said...

You are crazzzyy disciplined! Awesome job! Haha, I did 20 miles outside in the cold today, and I still got some chafing from sweat, so I don't even wanna know how yours feels- OUCH!

Katie A. said...

I often have done my longer runs 15+ on the treadmill because, like you said, I just feel better when I am done. I am less sore, and I think that is due to the soft impact. I also run with a large standing fan blowing on me; it has two effects - makes me feel like I am running outside (ha!) and it keeps me cool (should help reduce that side effect you got!).
Have a great weekend! :)

kilax said...

I always sweat super hard core on the treadmill too! At least you got it done :)

Have a great weekend!

Janice {Run Far} said...

I am a sweater... always.. no matter where, no matter the temp. On the treadmill I am just a mess... the londest I have run on the dreadmill is 14... so God Bless you for sticking it out. I chafe super easy... So I feel your pain. Have a fun weekend. Oh, I also struggle with warming up after a chilly run as well.. I literally will stay in the HOT HOT HOT shower till the HOT runs out. :) still chilled all day.

Anonymous said...

oh my. there is no way i could ever EVER do 20 on a treadmill. The most I've done on the mill was 6 and I was pratcically crying. How do you do it? I need to figure it out...the days aren't getting any longer.

RunningLaur said...

Wow, another reason why you are completely fantastic! I totally throw in the boredom towel at about an hour.

Croughwell said...

Great job! I can't even do 2 miles on the treadmill...nevermind 20!

Norma said...

You are a MONSTER!!!! I have never run more than 3 miles on the treadmill - I just can't do it, I go crazy! You have mad determination and the chafing to prove it! I'm running my second-ever 5K tomorrow, so check over when you can to see how I do! :)

joyRuN said...

Seriously - 20 miles on the mill is awesome! I start looking for any excuse to get off after a mile.

Julie D said...

Wow! Beats my treadmill 18! Gonna try for a 20-miler soon myself, hopefully outdoors. Props!

Marci said...

You deserve an award for knocking out 20 on the mill... seriously.. good stuff!

Anonymous said...

wow. I did 17 miles once on a treadmill. That memory sticks out like a sore thumb.

Anonymous said...

Wowza. Congrats to you, I get bored just doing 3 on a dreadmill.

Relentless Forward Commotion said...

I'm with the rest of the commenters..I go crazy after 5 on the treadmill! GREAT JOB!!!!!

Carly said...

20 miles on the treadmill?! that is fantastic. I am lucky I have have the attention to do it for 20minutes.

Glenn Jones said...

I'd much rather live where I do in Southern California and not have to worry about treadmills - much less putting 20 miles in on one.

Stacey said...

Good job. If you put neosporin on those red "marks" after you get out of the shower, they won't get scabby. I have done my fair share of long runs on the treadmill. Have a great weekend!

Twincerely,Olga said...

wow! 20 miles on th treadmill! You Rock!! I can barely do more than 5 and I am dying of bordom,etc.But ya gotta do what ya gotta do right?
Just wanted to say hi and invite you over!

Marlene said...

You are INCREDIBLE! I don't think I could survive that long on the treadmill. Good work, girl!!

Ouchie to the chafing. Hope it clears up quick. Vaseline or Penatin is your friend!

X-Country2 said...

20 on a treadmill?! That's insane, girl. Well done!

Lauren @ mostly i run said...

I can barely get myself to run four miles on the treadmill. Too boring. I can't imagine being on there for 20!

Felice Devine said...

Holy cannoli!
20 on the treadmill...that's amazing!!!

Hope you had fun this weekend!

Marci said...

for this weeks weigh in i am down 6.1% (9 pounds total now)

Mel-2nd Chances said...

whoa... 20 on the dreadmill! you are a strong lady! LOL Safe travels! Enjoy!

Jill said...

Great job on the run, treadmill long runs takes guts! Due to weather also, I ran 18 on a treadmill before Boston and I actually enjoyed the little adventure - and it made me not slow down my pace.

Unknown said...

Nice job, I cannot even imagine running that long a treadmill!