Miles 1-6: 9:40/9:28/9:17/9:37/9:35/9:33
Miles 7-12: 9:08/9:06/9:17/9:02/9:07/8:53
Miles 13-18: 8:40/8:44/8:38/9:11/9:06/8:58
I was feeling great for the first 2 loops but the last loop got tough when we picked up the pace. I really felt it when we climbed the Heartbreak Hill lookalike for the third time. Running that hill at an 8:45 wasn't easy and it definitely took a lot out of me. After that climb, I was having a hard time concentrating and was feeling a little "funny". At mile 15 we stopped at the car to refill water and at that point I had to admit to Coach that I was dizzy. So for the last 3 miles, Coach told me I wasn't allowed to look at my Garmin and he let me set the pace based on how I felt. I'm surprised to see the stats above because I thought we were crawling and was sure I dropped us down to about a 10 minute mile. It's nice to know that even when I was tired I still kept us at a decent pace. As we were finishing the run Coach said to me, "No one said it was easy getting to Boston." Honestly, Coach, I'm glad. I wouldn't want this if it was easy.
Oh, and something I tried on this run...I'm planning on using the margarita shot bloks for the marathon and have used them on my last few long runs. On this run though, instead of eating 3 at a time throughout the run, I had one blok every 2.5 miles. I tried this at the suggestion of Coach and thought it worked pretty well. I usually get a stomach ache when I eat a few of them at once and they sit in my stomach like a brick. It also messes up my breathing trying to chew them on the go. Eating one at at time didn't bother my stomach at all and it was easier to eat just one. It was also like a little treat to look forward to throughout the run.
16 comments:
Hey Denise, thanks for your comment on my blog. You talk about balancing easy runs with long runs. Does your coach have you following a specific training plan, i.e., one of the known one's like Higdon, etc, or is this something he has developed for you? How many miles do you peak out at per week? I am really trying to figure this out - how not to become injured the next time around. Any info you have would be great: brisdon@comcast.net
Nice work on that heartbreak hill!!
Good tip on the cliff shot bloks! I have that issue too. I also find they are bulkier to carry then a gel, but I like the taste better.
Ah, the Valley Forge loop - always fun :)
I started doing that same thing with shot blocks on long runs last spring, and it's worked really well so far
Some people find cutting up bloks into smaller pieces makes them easier to chew. Personally, I kind of like the excuse to slow down. :o) Woudln't want to choke!
"I wouldn't want this if it were easy" What a wonderful positive mantra to have!! Good job with your run!
For the weigh in I am down 5.1%!
You WILL be in Boston next April and I WILL be there to see you!!!
Beautiful paces there!!
I can't do the shot bloks because of the whole chewing/breathing/running issue. Margarita flavored anything sounds right up my alley though.
You're lucky to have a coach that is not only smart, but can dish out tough love.
I've switched to gummies over gels and blocks for the same reason. Glad our stomach appreciates the change.
oh my I've never eaten more than 1 shot blok at a time..the idea makes me a little sick actually. Glad you are experimenting and find things that work.
sooo hilly there. That's great. Nice run!
I guess I'll have to head to Valley Forge for some hill running! It's about twenty minutes from my house...awesome!
Great job on the run! And thanks for the tip on the blocks, I always try to do 2 or 3 at a time, maybe I'll give just one a try! :)
Great job on that run! And you ran a Heartbreak replica on each loop?! You are putting in some serious work.
When I use Bloks or Chomps, I also prefer to take one (or two) at a time in shorter intervals instead of taking 3-4 all at once.
What a run! I'm always so impressed by your training. I'm sure that hill run is going to really help you!
speedy.... that is what you are. way to finish strong... Margarits shot bloks sound yum-o.. I stick with Roctane GU... dont fix whats not broken.. right? :)
awesome job on your run!!! so glad you are finding some awesome fueling strategies too.. your coach sounds like hes the best :)
Post a Comment