Friday, October 2, 2009

Love the Long Runs

Where did the week go! I can't believe it's Friday...I never even got around to posting my running schedule for the week. Well, it looked like this:

Mon - 3 mi
Tues - 6 mi (sharpening)
Wed - 4 mi
Thurs - 6 mi (6 x 100 strides)
Fri - 4 mi
Sat - 18 mi
Sun - off

For my Tuesday run, I was suppose to run 2 miles at 9:15, pick it up to marathon pace for miles 3 and 4, then finish off with the last two at 9:15. Starting off, the 9:15 pace was hard to hit and I ended up being slightly over. I was worried that it wasn't going to be a good run, but I nailed miles 3 and 4. I ran those miles right around 8:20 and felt really good. I'm still questioning holding that pace for 26.2 miles, but I know it's early on in training and I have lots of chances to build up my confidence. For the final 2 miles, it was damn near impossible to keep myself around a 9:15...all I wanted to do was run faster since I was in my groove at that point. I'm running my 18 miler tomorrow with Coach Jack. The plan is to run the first 6 miles at 9:30, the next 6 at 9:00 and the final 6 at 8:45. We're running a hilly course so this should be a great workout!!

Lately I can't stop thinking about how much I love this time of year and marathon training. I'm back at that point where I'm super excited for my long runs on Saturday and actually look forward to them all week. I remember feeling like this last year when I was training for the marathon. Except last year, the long runs scared me a bit. There was always a bit of anxiety mixed in with the excitement. I didn't know what to expect, how I would feel and if I could even handle it. This time around, things are totally different. I'm not nervous or scared and the distance doesn't seem intimidating at all. I think I have the Ultra to thank for that, it really changed my outlook and definition of the "long" run.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. Good luck to all those running marathons!!

8 comments:

Katie A. said...

First! Ha!
It is so fun to grow as a marathoner, isn't it? I remember the first time I ran 4 miles and that seemed so far! Now today, 18 or 20 seems the norm! Good luck tomorrow and enjoy the hilly course! :)

Anonymous said...

That's so great. I think i'm still in between feelings about the long run. Now I'm at a point that I know I can finish after almost 2 cycles down but I wouldn't say I'm confident about how they'll go yet. Maybe cycle 3 will get me to that point or maybe I'll have to do an ultra :)

Marlene said...

You have been so much stronger this year after your ultra training... it *almosts* tempts me to do something crazy like that.

I like the thirds-progression plan for your long run. Knock it out of the park!

P.S. Thanks for "friending" me. :)

Chic Runner said...

I love this time of year too! :)

Abby said...

Hope the 18 went well this morning!

Norma said...

YOU
ARE
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

X-Country2 said...

Yeah, 18 is nuthin'! :o)

Aron said...

i looove long runs too :) especially during this time of year!