Friday, October 9, 2009

Pace Group

I registered with the 3:40 pace group yesterday for the Philly marathon. It really made me wonder what I was thinking when I registered with the 3:50 group last year. With it being my first marathon and the fact that I just followed any old schedule which didn't include any speed work, I probably shouldn't have set such a lofty goal. I'm glad the first one turned out ok because if I had flamed out, I'm not sure I'd have the confidence to shoot for my BQ this year.

This week at work has been nuts and I've been working really long hours, but I managed to get my runs in with the exception of last night. By the time I got home, it was almost dark and since I only had 5 miles on the schedule, I decided I'd rather relax a little. I did get my two 7 milers in this week, though. One of them I ran the middle 3 miles at 8:15, the other I ran the last mile at 8:20. It's really important that I get comfortable at this pace considering I'm going to run 26.2 miles at it!! When I hit this pace during my runs, I feel good. The leg turnover is comfortable, my breathing is normal, etc. But I worry that keeping this pace for the whole marathon will be so hard. I think a lot of us forget how important the mental training is for running, I know I do at least. So I'm really going to start working on some visualization and positive thinking. If I don't qualify, it's going to be because something physically happens, not because my crazy head got in the way.

Speaking of crazy head...I wasn't going to say anything cause I feel like I'm always bitching about this, but what the heck is up with me not being able to drop a single freaking pound? I'm up about 10 lbs from the marathon last November. I went back and read some of my food journals and nothing has changed. I'm still eating the same things and I'm still running my butt off. What gives?? I'm starting to feel like I'm losing my mind people. Am I in denial? Am I eating and not even realizing it? Could it really be that peanut butter I eat a few times a week? I'm sorry but I'm so frustrated. I eat incredibly well and it's not like I shove my face with junk. My frustration has hit the point where I want to really cut back and restrict myself like the old days but I know I can't do that. I just wish I could accept things for how they are and shut off my brain..but unfortunately, I can't do either.

This was my schedule for the week:
Mon - 7 mi (mid 3 at 8:15)
Tues - 5 mi
Wed - 7 mi (last mile at 8:20)
Thurs - 5 mi (skipped...will do it on Sunday as an easy recovery run)
Fri - 5 mi
Sat - 17 mi
Sun - off

19 comments:

ShutUpandRun said...

YES 3:40, I know you can do it. As far as the weight thing, stating the obvious here: have you had your thyroid checked?

RunningLaur said...

You're going to be great at Philly! I think you're physically there (you work hard for it!) an you had te perseverence t the ultra - you can do it!

Katie A. said...

You are gonna rock Philly and let's hope it's a great pace group - I have read so many bloggs lately where people are getting burned by the pacers (usually cuz the run the first 2 or 3 miles way too fast.)
I think the culpret of your weight situ is muscle. You trained for an ultra and went right into marathon training. I think you actually bulked up your muscles which always weights more than fat. I am in the same boat - no weight loss, but I am a stronger runner and all my clothes still fit just great. Keep up the good work! :)

X-Country2 said...

How are your clothes fitting? That's a much better indiciator than just the number on the scale.

Good luck in Philly. You're ready!

Marlene said...

3:40 will be YOURS! When it gets tough, just remember those physical and mental barriers you pushed through in your ultra. You've got this!

I hear you on the weight struggles. Have you considered seeing a nutritionist? maybe you need to mix things up. I'm no expert, but sometimes I think the body gets used to a certain number of calories in and calories out and it just will NOT lose weight anymore.

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

I was able to stay with the 3:40 pace group for half of my first Marathon and those are the miles that I LOVED!! I am sure you will rock it.. Bummer with the weight loss.. I wonder if it is stress related?

Norma said...

I'm gonna go with you've probably gained muscle, but I feel your frustration as I managed to lose 55 pounds but now have been stuck in the same 4-lb range since February. I've increased my workouts, tweaked the diet, even went off peanut butter completely for 60 days to see if that would do anything (it didn't). Waiting to hear back on thyroid tests because I do have some other symptoms (hair loss, sensitivity to cold, bad looking fingernails!) but am still hooked on that number on the scale more than I should be. Good luck!!!

Laura said...

You are going to be awesome.
My weight took FOREVER to even change a bit. Since I started with our run group last Nov, I lost zip until all the sudden in June-present I started noticable dropping. Guess it was the zone training and spin class I added in.

Abby said...

Sounds like the perfect pace group - you'll rock it!

Emily said...

I BET you are going to rock that pace at the marathon. Honestly, I think you and I have very similar racing paces and I just ran a 3:33. How many weeks out until the race? I wish I could give you some specific advice, but really just keep trucking along with your training and it will happen. I had a couple of really good long runs in my training that gave me the confidence boost I needed to run my pace at the marathon. Alternatively I had some bad runs but nothing overshadowed the good ones. Mental training is important too and you'll find that your pace will start feeling easier. You are going to rock it!

And, don't worry about the weight - you're fast, you look great so screw em all!

Aron said...

are you eating enough for the more miles you have been running? maybe if you increase a bit (with good food) you will see some lbs come off... i have found that happens.

YES the mental training!!! its SO important. keep at it girl and that 3:40 will be YOURS!

Jeanette said...

I think you need a cupcake :) I agree that you probably aren't eating enough. With me being home all week with sick boy, I've eaten total crap and not exercised. But the scale hasn't changed for the worse! Go figure :)

Unknown said...

About the weight, maybe it's that you have more muscle and your muscles are holding onto more water? Just a theory...how are your clothes fitting? It could also be that you might possibly need more calories depending on how much you're eating now. Good luck, that's got to be really frutstrating. Resist the urge to restrict yourself though, your body needs that food (and the PB!)

Felice Devine said...

Yay for the 3:40 pace group! WOO HOO! You're gonna be great.

I'm w/x-country on the clothes thing. How do they fit? After way too much weight obsessing I stopped with the scale and only go by how things fit and how I feel. It just works better for me.

joyRuN said...

Yes to the mental training - definitely a KEY component I always forget about :)

I've got no time goals, so no pace group for me in Richmond. I'm so happy to say that!

N.D. said...

Do you think since you are running faster you are burning more calories and need to eat more?? Woohoo for the 3:40 pace group! exciting!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

You'll do awesome at Philly!!! I'm puzzled by my own weight stuff, so i can understand your frustration!

Lauren @ mostly i run said...

I'm up quite a few pounds since I ran my first marathon in 2007, but I'm attributing a lot of that to muscle gain -- I started yoga shortly after that race. (I attribute the rest to getting older. Ugh.) But pants I bought when I was at my smallest still fit, so that's something ...

Still, I try to monitor my intake when in training. Where are you tracking your food journal? I like The Daily Plate at livestrong.com -- you put in a weight goal and it tells you how much you should eat.

It adjusts when you add exercise. If you aren't eating enough to replace what you've burned, your body will hold on to every calorie!

Sarah said...

Good luck in Philly!! As for the weight - go to your doctor. Don't do anything crazy first :)