"So, I did it!! Last night I wasn't sure I'd run another one. Today, I'm feeling a little different. I think, actually know, I will. BUT, I don't think I'll ever put the pressure on myself to qualify for Boston. I ran my first marathon in under 4 hours. I know that is an incredible achievement. I want to make sure I always enjoy this and have fun, I don't want the added pressure of qualifying. And as long as I'm in this age group, I don't think I'll get the 3:40 for Boston anyway!"
WOW! Complete 180 over here. Little did I know that not only would I be going for Boston this year but I never in a million years would have thought I would have run an Ultra, too! I can't believe how much has changed over the past year...for the better, of course. The best part of reading that little blip from last year is that training for my BQ so far has been anything but stressful. Yes, there's some added pressure that I've been putting on myself because I want this so badly, but not once have I thought this wasn't fun. If anything, I'm enjoying the training this year even more.
I ran 8 miles tonight with the middle 4 at marathon pace - 8:20. Every time I checked my Garmin I was dead on for pace. It's really starting to get comfortable and I can feel when I speed up/slow down. I spent the whole run thinking about the marathon and picturing the last 6 mile stretch, which I know will be tough. But every time I thought of finishing, my pace quickened and I smiled. I can't wait to see what the day has in store for me.
Here's my schedule for this week:
Mon - 8 mi w/ 4 mi at 8:20
Tue - 5 mi
Wed - 7 mi w/ last mile at 8:20
Thurs - 5 mi
Fri - 20 mi
Sat - 5 mi
Sun - Off
17 comments:
I remember your report last year and thinking how you could and will run a BQ!!! Great work with your RP runs Denise.
P.S- I am at 4.5% - why does running marathon make me gain weight?!! arghhh!
I meant to say down 4.5% - I was down 6 before STM.
Good luck, things keep getting better.
Hehe, that's great - cute to read :)
Awesome! Very inspirational!
I'm so bummed that Philly sold out! I wish I were running it!
You have come so far this year. I can't wait for you to complete the circle with a killer marathon at Philly!
Yay for things changing for the better :-)
Great work on hitting 8:20 in those middle miles. You'll do it in the race, for sure!
BTW: If you have a white house/black market by you, that's where I got my dress. They were having a HUGE sale ($29.99!!!!!).
Yes you really have one a lot this year!! I am crossing my fingers for that BQ.
As long as you're ENJOYING it, girl!!
Ahhh, to be kick @$$ and have fun while doing it :)
One of my favorite parts of bloggins is going back and re-reading your own thoughts.
Sounds like your training is going great!
Seriously what you have done in the last year is pretty dang amazing! I wish I had made that much progress but alas, at least I am still really enjoying it.
Doooo Marci don 4.5...People slow down!
Good luck!! I'm running Philadelphia too in an attempt to qualify for Boston (with the same qualifying time) This will be my first marathon so I'm really just hoping to finish but it would be great to qualify...
Ha! I TOTALLY remember reading that last year and thinking it was only a matter of time before you changed your tune. It's funny how training for the second one is so much more enjoyable, huh?
You and J are running the same pace now. I think he is hoping for about 8:20-8:30 for Marine Corps in a few weeks. He got a lot faster after he dropped me as a partner! Ha!
One of the great things about having a blog or journal is that ability to look back and let yourself see how far you've come!!! It's humbling and inspiring to see that something that seemed far out of reach not too long ago has now been achieved. BTW, Denise, due to a privacy concern, I've restricted my blog to invited readers...I don't have your email to send you an invite...so if you'd like one, just email me: normawalsh@yahoo.com -- thanks! SEE YOU IN BOSTON IN APRIL, BABY!
Good luck in Philly, I will keep reading your blog to get the updates. Boston's a blast, you can do it!!!
Post a Comment