Friday, September 11, 2009

Snot Rockets

Cooler temperatures and the remnants of a cold make for some great snot rocket conditions. On my run last night night my nose was running like crazy. Last winter I gave myself some pretty nasty cuts in my nose from wiping my nose on my sleeve. These in turn would bleed whenever I blew my nose (or wiped it on my sleeve again). It really sucked and I don't want a repeat of that this year. I know some of you are thinking that I could just carry tissues, but they get all damp and gross and if I have tissues on me, let's be real, I better save them for when I have to poop in the woods again. So when snot started running down my face last night, I was left with either sucking it back up into my brain or shooting it out. I opted for the later. I've never really blown a snot rocket before and the first few were quite messy, but by the end of the 7 miles, I was blowing them like a champ! I did learn a few things while perfecting my skills...
  • You have to wait until the snot is low enough in your nose. I prefer to wait until it feels like it's about to drip out.
  • Make sure you cover the opposite nostril tightly. I like the bent pointer finger, using the knuckle to plug it up.
  • Turn your head!!! This was a messy mistake I made early on in the run. You want to turn your head to the side you're blowing out of.
  • Shut your mouth and blow a quick, but forceful, bit of air out your open nostril. You want this to be quick and strong.
  • Watch it fly!!

Might not have been the most lady like thing to do, but I'm proud of myself nonetheless.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. I'm running the Lehigh Valley Half Marathon on Sunday. I'm not racing it but running it as a tune up for my half next weekend. I'm running Philly Distance Run the following weekend and I'm going all out on that one.

And to make your day, here's a short video. This kid would make any mother proud. http://www.killsometime.com/Video/video.asp?ID=257

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're finally a real runner now!!

Jen Feeny said...

LMAO... oh girl...

Jeanette said...

That video make me sick! I couldn't even watch the whole thing. But I guess I'm proud of you....

joyRuN said...

My snot yesterday was too thin for rockets :( Plus I'm sure the peeps on the boardwalk would NOT have appreciated it!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

LOL. thanks, needed a laugh ;)

Marlene said...

I've been too chicken to try snot-rocketing! Thanks for the tips... my nose has been running so maybe I should give it a try finally.

Have a great run at your tune-up half!

RunningLaur said...

Haha, I was torn the whole post between a little bit grossed out and laughing my ass off!

Anonymous said...

oh wow; that was awesome; I almost choked on my lunch but it was worth it!

X-Country2 said...

I'm a snot rocket champ! Playing the wind is key too. Good luck perfecting your form.

Norma said...

Thanks for stopping by w/that info about my 5k...and thanks for the giggle-inducing snot rocket lesson! I will pass it along to my kids... ;)

Aron said...

lol i have never tried it :) maybe this winter ;)

Toni said...

Very useful info! I might need to try this sometime, although probably when I am running by myself!

Stacey said...

LOL. I actually blew my first snot rocket this past weekend.

Abby said...

Ha, nice work - I'll remember to keep my distance if I ever spot you running ahead of me on Forbidden Drive :)

Have fun at the half this weekend!

JenZen said...

LMAO!!! Ohhh yeah ....the are of the snot rocket. It does take a bit of practice. All I know is thank goodness I run by myself sometimes. Hee. Great, funny post!!!!

Jennifer P said...

Thank you! Another girl that admits to doing snot rockets. I thought I was alone. My are always to runny for a proper rocket.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I thought my husband was the only skilled at that ... you have proved me wrong. In fact, you did exactly what women always do, get it down to an exact science haha!

Unknown said...

A good snot rocket is pretty darn satisfying!

Laurel said...

Thanks for the lesson. Every time I try it, I just snot all over myself. J is an old pro at it though. I was always jealous of him.