When I arrived to the start of the race, I did what every good runner does...I headed to the port o' potties. But couldn't find them. Hmmm. So I asked a volunteer where they were and he said, "they are on their way, they aren't here yet." Um, what?? Not here yet?? Seriously, people, there was only 30-40 minutes until the race started at this point. It's not like I showed up the day before looking for the plastic crapper. Thankfully, there was a hotel right near the start that was allowing runners to use their bathrooms. Crisis averted. They ended up showing up with about 5 minutes until the start of the race and at that point they still had to be unloaded from the truck. Something they need to work on for next year.
I ran this race with Coach Jack, which was great. It was so nice to not look at my watch and to have someone to lead the pack. We were targeting a 1:50 finish, which is an 8:23 pace. The course was so nice and I highly recommend this to any local runners who are looking for a good half next year. You run a canal path along a river and are shaded by trees for almost all of the race. It's a very flat course with a few little inclines and the surface is mostly gravel or dirt trail. There are no spectators so I think it would be a pretty lonely marathon, but they were well stocked with water stations and volunteers.
The entire race I felt great. We were running slightly quicker than an 8:23 and I couldn't believe how comfortable the pace was. The best part is that this was my approximate pace for Philly marathon if I want to qualify for Boston with a 3:40. Considering I have done ZERO speed work, I'm ecstatic about this. I ended up finishing in 1:48:30 without putting much effort in at all. I picked up my pace for the last 2 miles, finished strong and still had a ton left in me.
So I'm ready to race PDR next weekend. My half marathon PR is a 1:46:48. According to Coach, my recent 5K time says I'm in shape for a 1:40 half which would be a 7:40 pace. I feel like I have a lot of wiggle room for what to shoot for next weekend and am of course going to go for a new PR. Since I totally lack in the confidence department, I'm scared to shoot for a 1:40. I think a 1:45 would make me very happy and if I can get anything quicker than that...of course I'll take it!! I'm just hoping I feel as great as I did yesterday.
Here's my schedule for this week:
Mon - 3 mi
Tues - 6 mi, 6x50 strides
Wed - 5 mi
Thurs - 6 mi
Fri - 4 mi
Sat - off
Sun - PDR half marathon
Oh, and my medal from yesterday. I love the green ribbon.
25 comments:
Congratulations! I am sure you get your BQ I am down 4.5 percent this week.
Congrats on a race well run and I love the bling!!!!
Congrats...what a great time!
Woo hoo! Good luck next weekend! Go for that 1:40. You TOTALLY have it in you.
Grats on a nice race! How nice is it to feel good in those things?! Awesome.
You have gotten SO strong this year! Based on a 1:48 feeling pretty comfotable, I'd say you can do something well under 1:45.
Congrats!!!
Great job!!! That is great that you were feeling great the whole race and we could have run together :) ha ha that is close to my pr too! Good luck next weekend I can't wait to see what you pull!
Great job! You totally have a 1:40 in you!
Love that cool green ribon, too! Happy Monday! :)
Wow, way to go! Can't wait to hear what happens when you're actually TRYING in Philly this weekend!
Fantastic!!! What a great way to build confidence for your upcoming race this weekend. Way to go!
that's my biggest fear before a race, no port a potties! And your time is impressive, I'm verrrry slow!
Congratulations! Great race report. I can't believe that the port o' potties arrived 5 minutes before the race!
Awesome time! Congratulations!
NICE JOB!!! I wanted to share my happiness about my 5K on Saturday...it was POURING rain and I got my period two hours before start time but no worries...I did SO MUCH BETTER than I expected to! Finished in 26:55 for an 8:41 pace (which is FAST by my standards!)...73rd overall out of 200 runners, 22nd out of the women and 4th in my age group (40-49). Now that I know what it's like I think I can shave off a few minutes next time. I am PUMPED to keep training for the five mile run I'm doing in November. Thanks again for sharing all your experiences with all of us!
Congrats! That's a rocking time!
That is pretty appalling re: the porta potties!
You did awesome! I see a BQ in November for you. I cannot believe that about the port-a potties!
The "Plastic Crappers" are my least favorite part of the race, but somehow I could not imagine a race without them.
Good job on the run. :D
Congrats!! You're setting yourself up nicely for some speedy races!! Awesome!
Great time! Wish I could pull that off!
Awesome job! I did the full marathon that day and you're right: LONELIEST course, EVER! But a good time, anyway.
Nicely done! Good luck next weekend!
That is a great medal.
I can't believe the potty situation. That's crazy.
Good luck this weekend!
hot dang a fast pace without even trying, maybe it's time for me to actually try a training plan
way to go!
Congrats! That is an incredible time!!! Go for 1:40 next weekend, what do you have to lose?!? You've got it!
This is so awesome! Great job. You are going to do great on Sunday. I SOOO wish I was doing PDR. It's my favorite one and the weather is going to be amazing!!!
I'll be thinking of you.
Post a Comment