Thursday, September 3, 2009

Strides

I did my first official speed work out this week. I say "official" because I never followed a training plan which incorporated speed work. I used to just jack up the speed on the treadmill and call it speed work. But this week I had my first "stride" workout. While out on my 6 mile run, I was to up the pace to race pace (5k) for 50 meter stride outs and do this 6 times. Since I have no clue how far 50 meters is, I timed them for 15 second intervals. The purpose of these is to get used to running at marathon pace and to be comfortable at it. I was suppose to pay attention to form, breathing, relaxed pace, etc. While these were not suppose to be sprints, that's sort of what they turned into. I suck at pacing myself. I also thought it was really hard to settle into a 5k pace when I only had 15 seconds. By the time I picked it up and looked at my watch, the 15 seconds was practically over. While it may not have been the most effective stride work out, I really enjoyed it. It was fun to change it up and push myself and it's been feeling great to run a little faster these days. I felt SOOOOO slow during and after that Ultra training.

I'm changing my schedule up a bit since I have off tomorrow (4 day weekend here I come!!) and doing my long run tomorrow. The weather has been beautiful...I'm really looking forward to a run in the cool morning weather.

15 comments:

Marlene said...

Strides are fun, but like you, I can't seem to settle in to whatever the target pace is. Just when you figure it out, you're done!

Enjoy your long run and long weekend!

Unknown said...

Any special plans for your four day weekend???? I just ran on the beach here in St. Augustine and managed to get sea legs without stepping foot on a boat :)

Ronnie

Katie A. said...

What? You get 4 days off! Sheesh! I'm stuck having to haul my hiney in tomorrow!
Well, enjoy the long run tomorrow! And great job on the stride workout. You can give yourself a bit longer time for the pace...20-25 seconds will probably give you a better feel for running at that pace. Happy Thrusday! :)

X-Country2 said...

I'm terrible at speed work too. I may have to try those strides some time.

B.o.B. said...

You'll get better at the speed work and stronger. It's become my favorite work out. (I think it's because of all the slowing down in between 800s!) Great job!

Abby said...

Enjoy the long run - I was out this morning behind the canals in Manayunk and it was pure heaven.

Mark said...

Good job! Have a great long run

Marci said...

Good job with the strides. I found the exact same problem, so I just pick it up to just below a sprint and hold until its uncomfortable (50-100meters). This saves me looking at my watch the whole time and I find I focus on form better.

joyRuN said...

My form is the first to go when I do speedwork :(

Have a great long wknd!

RunningLaur said...

I don't know why, but strides are really intimidating to me. Maybe I just need to see someone else do them and not die before I try?

Good work doing official speedwork!!

Susan said...

I think strides are mainly meant for you to work on your form and to speed up a little without being exhausted. Just to give your legs a reminder of how to move fast!

Felice Devine said...

I've been adding a few strides at the end of my runs, just to keep things fresh. But, I don't think I run then particularly fast -- just faster than the pace of the rest of the run.

Have a great weekend!

Aron said...

I think strides are fun too :) my plan calls for 100m ones which is like .06 miles. They are fun to just pick up the speed and concentrate on form like you said. great job!!

Toni said...

Speed work is fun, I love strides although I don't know if I always do them right.

Enjoy your long weekend and the cooler temps for your long run!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

enjoy the extra long weekend!! :)