Wow, it seems like so long ago I was crying when I found out Boston sold out the week before my debut BQ attempt at Philly marathon in 2009. Thankfully, that disappointing news didn't hold me back and I qualified with 2 minutes to spare. At the time I was excited but with the thought of Boston so far away, it never really became real to me. As we finally got close to Boston this year and all my friends were training for that, I was just a little bit ahead of schedule focusing on Shamrock marathon. Determined to get that 3:35 finish I wanted, I wouldn't let myself think about Boston until I got through this race. I didn't even look at a course map or read the Boston webpage for fear of losing focus on what I was going after in March. I told myself that once I crossed the finish line in VA beach, it would be all about Boston. I wasn't expecting to come out of that race injured again.
Being injured leading up to Boston has been a little devastating. Everyone (aka Aron!!) is going Boston bonkers and I've been a worried mess wondering if I'd even be able to line up at the start. After an unsuccessful test run a little over a week ago, I was happy that I made it 3 miles last Friday pretty much pain free. I had some moments of discomfort after the run but I'm hoping this final week of rest and physical therapy will fix me up for good. Running this week will do me no good so I'm just doing minimal elliptical work to keep my legs moving a bit. I'll do another easy 3 miles on Friday followed by PT and then that will be it.
Now, after a month off from running, I'm not sure where this leaves me for next Monday. I'm hoping I have some major muscle memory and my body remembers what 26.2 miles feels like. Who knows, maybe 4 weeks of doing nothing is the new magical taper. Guess I'll find out! But I need to play it safe so I don't make the injury worse and to make sure I finish on my feet. I really don't want a finish line photo of me crawling. Although I'd do it if that's what it took to earn the medal and wear the jacket! So, I've decided to carry my camera to document the fun and to incorporate walk breaks. Right now I'm thinking a 30-60 second walk break every mile and some walk breaks up the bigger hills. Since there are water stops at every mile it will be a nice little break to snap some pictures, get a drink, kiss the college students, etc.
If you haven't already entered, don't forget to enter the RazzyRoo GIVEAWAY. Winner will be picked on Wednesday.
11 comments:
Hopefully this will turn out to be a blessing in disguise. I know it's still a big bummer to be injured, but you will get to soak up every minute on the course and really document the journey... for those of us at home who can't be there! Here's hoping you feel decent enough to enjoy yourself without being in too much pain. Have the time of your life out there!!!
I am so happy you have took stock and rethinking how you approach this. I know it's not how you saw yourself running it but you really are going to make the best of this. Enjoy your run/walk tour through Beantown, can't wait to meet you!!!
Yeah yeah yeah yeah for meeting you :) It is about damn time!
you really and truly did the hard work already to qualify.. so I hope you can really enjoy the full experience regardless of your finish time
Your blog is 'Happiness...One Mile at a Time. So have Fun in Boston...One Mile at a Time. You earned the opportunity, so enjoy!
I'm not getting anything done at work this week. :)
I think that sounds like a great plan for Boston. You'll get to experience the course, the energy, the excitement, and you'll get to enjoy it along the way, as you won't be focused on the clock and the pace. Can't wait to hear how it goes!
Will be thinking of your during Boston! You've worked hard to be there so enjoy your success! :)
Wishing you a FUN time in Boston! You've earned the right to be there so soak up the experience. :)
You are going to have so much FUN in Boston!!!! AHHH I can't wait to meet you :)
The only thing left to do now is to make the most of it and enjoy your time on a 26.2 mile jaunt :)
Post a Comment