Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Case of the Tuesdays

First off...Sorry the posts are such debbie downers lately; I really hate posting stuff like this. But if I don't, Andy takes the brunt of it and he needs a break! I'm just all out of sorts and mixed with emotions lately. I worked really hard to get my BQ and waited a year and half for this race to get here. Now I'm holding my breath hoping I'll be able to run it. Just thinking about it makes me cry. I know I qualified for 2012 at Shamrock but that doesn't make this any less hard or frustrating to deal with, especially since I have no intentions of going back to Boston next year.

I'm trying to stay positive over here, I really am. But truth is...I'm worried sick. As much as I want to go for a run to see how the Achilles feels, I'm waiting until Friday hoping that every little bit of time off will magically do the trick. I definitely do not feel like my normal self and am going crazy without being able to run. The elliptical and bike just aren't cutting it for me. On top of it, I'm still struggling to find my normal energy level and have been feeling sort of weak overall. Wondering if it's just because I'm not doing as much, I decided to start the week off with a two a day. I did the elliptical for an hour before work yesterday then did the bike trainer for 40 minutes when I got home. It was hard to get on the bike but once I was done, I felt great and it definitely pepped me up a bit. At this point I just want to keep my legs moving as much as possible since they haven't done a long run since March 20th.

This morning I woke up exhausted (again) but rolled myself out of bed to hit the gym. I did some cardio and then lifted for the first time since just before Shamrock. Wow. I have lost a lot of strength!! It was eye opening and frustrating. You lose it a lot quicker than you think and I'm disappointed I let that happen. I took today easy so I wouldn't be insanely sore and now have the kick in the butt I needed to get back on track with lifting. I'm hoping for another session on the bike trainer tonight after work, although the hoo-ha isn't looking forward to it. And yes, I have padded bike shorts. Very nice ones, in fact. But they aren't doing the trick.

So, that's where I'm at. Trying to make the best out of my workouts and trying to keep a smile on my face.  Things could always be worse...I know that and I'm keeping it in perspective. Thanks for the support and listening to me whine. To make up for it, I'll post another GIVEAWAY this week!!! Stayed tuned.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh boy I understand MORE than you know!!!!!! Heal up my runner friend!!

misszippy said...

Denise--So sorry you're in this place. I'm hoping the best for you to make it to that starting line!!

Marlene said...

But what if I qualify for 2012? Then you'll have to come. :)

Keep yourself busy with all the strength and cross-training that you can. I hope Friday brings good news!!

{HUGS}

And vent away! That's what we're here for.

Steel Springs said...

I'm so sorry that you're dealing with this right now. I hope things improve quickly!

Jen Feeny said...

I completely feel your pain and frustration. To work so hard and have it blow up in your face... yup I totally get that. The good news is you will get to Boston and although it won't be everything you hoped it would've been you will still be there and make the most of it. Look at it as your victory lap and take the time to enjoy every step. Bring your camera and make it a fun run so to speak. There are quite a few runners headed there undertrained and/or injured, join forces with them to help keep each other's spirits up. I'm sorry this happened and I wish I had better advice or the right words to lift your spirits but if there's anything I've learned being injured it's that sometimes there isn't a right thing to say that will help and more oft then not you want to punch everyone anyway. :) So take some time to get mad, sad, angry about your situation and then pour all that into your xtraining until you are feeling better. Make the most of what you can do in the meantime and be thankful you're able to do anything at all. I WILL SEE YOU IN BOSTON. And I'll have a hug waiting for you. xoxo

Allison said...

I'm sure this must be so frustrating. I hope you are feeling better soon and get some good news on Friday.

Abby said...

Your posts are making me so sad. I know how hard you worked to get here and how much Boston means to you. I still have faith that you'll get there, but totally understand the anxiety you're feeling now.

All that said, I know that whatever happens, as soon as this achilles heals up, you'll be back in action with even more energy and motivation to get to where you want to be. And man, when that happens - I don't want to be standing in your way.

Anonymous said...

I totally get this- I may have even written this post last year- but to imagine how you feel...I cannot. I just can't imagine the thought of finally getting to boston and then this. And I am so sorry you are going through it. I remember your BQ post- still a favorite of mine- and the joy and elation...now this. Just try to enjoy what you DO have in Boston- a great race course with tons and tons of support.

I hope everything ends up okay Denise...you know my email if you ever want to vent!

Boris T said...

Sorry to hear you're dealing with this.