Monday, April 25, 2011

Final Thoughts and Pics

Hard to believe Boston is a week behind me already. It came and went so fast and I find myself checking out my pictures and my race report daily. It's like I don't believe I was ever there! I've been asked by almost everyone I talk to about it if I'll do it again next year and my answer has been the same; probably not. Yes, I already qualified for 2012 but honestly, I don't see myself running it. Last Monday was such a great experience and everything went so perfectly. From having my sister and Andy there with me, to beautiful running weather, and finally meeting some long distance friends, I couldn't have asked for a better Boston experience and I'm content with these memories...for now. I'll be back there some day, I'm sure, but I don't see the need to go right away. I have a goal to qualify every year whether I use it or not, but next year most likely isn't in the cards for me. Especially since I'm hoping to have a much, much larger race to focus on in 2012.

I'm recovering pretty well, which is a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. I was so worried I'd come off Boston back to square one with the physical therapy but I haven't had the need to go back. I ran my first few recovery miles last Friday and while my legs felt like fire hydrants, I didn't have any Achilles pain. I even managed another run on Saturday and just got home from a great 6 miler. Tonight finally felt like the old me was coming back. My pace was slow as I'm still feeling the effects of last Monday but my body and heart were in it and I wasn't scared with each step I took. So maybe we're finally on the upswing. Good timing, too as I have NJ half marathon (2:15 pacer) this Sunday and my first tri is just right around the corner.

Before I end with some photos I haven't shared yet of Boston, I just have to say thanks to everyone who supported me and sent texts, tweets, etc to cheer me on while I was out on the course. I know everyone was tired of hearing about Boston but everyone just let me blabber away. I also owe a huge thanks to Andy, my sister, Mich, and Lisa. It meant the world to me to have them there on race day and treat me like a rock star. You guys are the best and I love you tons.

It just amazed me that I was part of something some huge.

Loved the swagger posters everywhere.


I took this picture right before I passed him. ;-)

Usually in a race they are constantly clearing the streets but there were too many people for them to keep up with it. This was one of the least messy ones.

I did stop temporarily to take this picture.

This was her 42nd Boston marathon! Unbelievable. I ran over to congratulate her; she was all smiles and all decked out. Bright red lipstick and blue eye shadow. Too cute.

Can't imagine running in that uniform or those boots; they are way tougher than I'll ever be...

After you crossed the finish these guys were sitting high up in stand saying "Welcome to Boston."

It was a sea of space jackets at the finish and you could barely move.

Found Tall Mel at the finish!! So great seeing her and so proud of her for toughing it out!

This crazy guy passed me early on but I couldn't get a pic of his bare ass quick enough. He ran the entire race like this and I think he said a 3:50ish?? I haven't looked it up to check yet.

Celebratory beers at Boston Beer Works with my favorite supporters.
xoxo

10 comments:

Mommy Minded said...

Loving all of the pictures!

Megan
mommyminded.blogspot.com

Jeanette said...

Love the pics!!!!!!!!!

Meg O @watchmegorun said...

wow, so inspiring! Love all the pics. It seems like an event you'll never forget :)

fancy nancy said...

I love the pics of the old people!!! Gotta love old people with spunk! Oh and the naked guy....I must have missed him at mile 7!!

Abby said...

Ironman 2012???

Bethany + Ryan said...

YOu took AWESOME pictures! I so enjoyed looking through your mid-race photos!!

Aron said...

LOVE it all - such an amazing day :)

I saw that guy too at the beginning!

UM I think you should come to CA for an early spring marathon through wine country!!!

Marlene said...

I'm not tired of it! And we are going to talk more about it in November!!! :)

Sooo glad you are recovering well and not set back from the marathon. Big things ahead for you!!

Dee said...

I LOVE THESE PICS!!Especially the one of the elderly man:D

RunToTheFinish said...

sooo glad that your body is feeling great post race and no achilles issues!!!

hilarious pics!