Last Tuesday as I lay in bed sore as heck from Boston, I started to panic. It doesn't take me long to get past one race and start to worry about the next. But this panic was a little bit justified. My first triathlon was a measly 7 weeks away and I had yet to get out on my bike (since I was a little kid!) and/or get the pool time in that I needed. I told myself to take this first week of recovery to just get refocused and then I'd tackle the project of creating a training plan. Well, that creating a plan thing lasted about 2 minutes before I was completely overwhelmed and I told Andy I was hiring a Tri coach. Reason: "I'm paying for my sanity." So it's a done deal and I'll be getting my schedule shortly. It will start on Monday and take me through my sprint Tri in June and my Olympic distance in July. From there I'll see what I want to do regarding training for the Half Ironman in September.
(In other words, I'll be using the Coach through that race, too).
I've gone back and forth with Coach Bill (who I called "Jim" the first time I met him because I'm considerate like that) with my work schedule, my goals and what I want to achieve in each race. So far the man seems to have the patience of a Saint, nicely responding to all my crazy emails. I'm nervous about what training will look like but excited at the same time to try something new and see what I'm capable of doing. I feel like I'm in good hands and I clearly have a coach that gets me...
"Since you are high-octane-Type A-personality-marathoner, it is a pretty challenging plan"
-Coach Bill
With that being said, bring it on. I'm ready to get back out there and start kicking ass. I don't think any of this is going to be easy but I'm determined to see it through. Because like
Abby picked up in my last post, yes, I
hope want WILL do a full Ironman in 2012.
Let the Tri training begin!!!
13 comments:
Congrats on setting your goal and going for it! I used to tell myself that for my 30th b-day I would do a 1/2 ironman. Now that it's less than a year away I think I'll save that goal for another decade :)
Congrats on your new goal! I know you'll do great with that determination :) Can't wait to hear all about your training!
Ah! I'm so excited for you!! Which one are you eyeing?? I had a dream about Kona a few weeks ago - had made me think more seriously about tackling another one.
ha! I like that label! Very fitting. :)
Congrats on getting yourself a coach. Money well spent, I'm sure!
You are a rockstar!!! I can't even wrap my head around a tri!
Congrats on the coach, I just got one as well...nervous for my schedule!!
I am training for a triathlon too! Good luck in yours! :)
No time wasting for you, lol! I like that quote from your coach - I think I would take that as a huge compliment.
Paying for your sanity is a wise, wise thing to do.
Enjoy the training!
Awwwwesome!!!
Woo hoo! Very excited for you!
In the time I have been reading your blog (over 2+ years now) I have known you to do only one thing when it comes to getting what you want- attacking it and getting it! Triathlon will be no different!
Sounds like your new coach "Bim" has your number.
So it's time for a few months of swim bike run swim bike run.
Denise! Get on that bike!
Before you know it, the bike will feel like an extension of your body and you'll be crushing the competition in yet another discipline. Can't wait to hear your swim progress, too!
Post a Comment